Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Club Soccer $$$$ Maker/Scam

All this talk about teams merging, soccer landscape changing, club scandals, coach pros/cons, this team and that teams failures and successes. We are all just fools caught in the crossfire paying hand over fist. Supporting all this madness!
    This is supposed to be about developing kids in soccer, period! Somehow this idea has been tainted for the almighty dollar and ego within clubs.
    If we all weren't so caught up in whats in it for my kid and $? All the talent combined we have in MA area could really prove amazing for teams kicking some ass within all of these leagues. Sad, very sad!

The timing of this thread popping up is just so strange. Just a few minutes ago, four of my colleagues and I were saying exactly this. Between us we have had or currently have children play for Bolts, Scorpions, Stars, Abbey Villa, MPS (Bulldogs and Knights), NEFC, and Galway Rovers. The consistent theme is feeling ripped off by the clubs who are more interested in making money than developing players. Each of us had a handful of stories about poor behavior by clubs that would make you cringe. By far there is the most distrust and disgust with MPS and the least with AV and NEFC. Interestingly AV got a lot of kudos for developing skillful players. It caused us to stop and wonder if playing for a small club makes more sense instead of getting caught up in the machine that is, say, MPS. Or, does it make sense to be with a smaller club in the earlier years and then move to a bigger club if/when the recruiting process is important?

The second theme that kept popping up in our conversation is the quality and reliability of coaching which is consistently inconsistent. Most of us have had both good and bad (unfortunately more bad than good) coaching experiences but it's interesting that the clubs seem to take no accountability for the bad coaches. Or the coaches have too many commitments so you pay, say, $3,600 for your player fee and have a series of fill in coaches show up to the games because the assigned coach has a conflict.

The third theme is the parents. Or, more specifically, the parents who think their kid is the superstar. Interestingly, of the five of us, only two could say in all their years of being involved and watching A LOT of soccer that we saw a kid who had "it" and who went on to either a fully funded scholarship or professional opportunity.

It makes you wonder if we are being smart consumers here. We give a lot of money, time, energy and emotion to this but the return is hard to measure and the clubs seem unaccountable when the consumer asks questions or questions what they are doing.

We ended up wishing we could pass advice and our experience on to those just entering the system. But we also know, few would listen.

Just an interesting conversation of 5 parents each with 2 or more children who have played in the eastern MA club scene.

Comment

We have been involved in clubs for 4 years. My goal for my children has never been D1 scholarship or professional involvement. In my experience most of the parents I speak to would like their children to play in college but not necessarily earn a scholarship.

- Pathfinder

Comment

My first impression o this issue is that no one is forcing anyone to play club soccer.

That said, in most high schools in Eastern Mass at least, the overwhelming majority of players have played club. The required skills just can't be developed from town soccer alone or even from camps. Repetition is critical.

The flip side is the cost. Club soccer is a big business with big business costs. Are there players on the top teams that travel a lot who really don't belong at that level? Of course. Those are the ones who really lose out in this equation, unless they realistically see it for what it is and treat the travel as more of a life experience.

JMHO

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          My first impression o this issue is that no one is forcing anyone to play club soccer.

That said, in most high schools in Eastern Mass at least, the overwhelming majority of players have played club. The required skills just can't be developed from town soccer alone or even from camps. Repetition is critical.

The flip side is the cost. Club soccer is a big business with big business costs. Are there players on the top teams that travel a lot who really don't belong at that level? Of course. Those are the ones who really lose out in this equation, unless they realistically see it for what it is and treat the travel as more of a life experience.

JMHO
          Actually, the ones who lose out are the ones who can't afford club but would otherwise benefit.

That being said, I feel I am getting my money's worth from my club. I am happy with the service, the dedication of the coaches, and the development.

It seems to me a lot of people lump all of the costs of playing club soccer into one basket and use that to say the clubs are ripping us off. At least 60% of what I spend on club soccer is paid directly to other entities (e.g. airlines, gas stations, restaurants, equipment manufacturers). The club's (and parent's) can't escape the "blame" for requiring that travel, but let that confuse you into thinking that the clubs themselves are charging too much.

Comment

Cause and Effect...

All this talk about teams merging, soccer landscape changing, club scandals, coach pros/cons, this team and that teams failures and successes. We are all just fools caught in the crossfire paying hand over fist. Supporting all this madness!
            This is supposed to be about developing kids in soccer, period! Somehow this idea has been tainted for the almighty dollar and ego within clubs.
            If we all weren't so caught up in whats in it for my kid and $? All the talent combined we have in MA area could really prove amazing for teams kicking some ass within all of these leagues. Sad, very sad!
            With all due respect, I would say "look in the mirror".

On the one hand you decry the club soccer landscape (what I highlighted in red). In the same breath, however, you essentially bemoan the lack of a super-team (the part in green).

It is in LARGE part because of the view/desire/preoccupation/obsession/etc that people/customers (read: mostly parents, but sometimes kids too) have to seek that supposed holy grail with the benefits that are perceived to derive from it that fuel the former.

Comment

Actually, the ones who lose out are the ones who can't afford club but would otherwise benefit.

That being said, I feel I am getting my money's worth from my club. I am happy with the service, the dedication of the coaches, and the development.

It seems to me a lot of people lump all of the costs of playing club soccer into one basket and use that to say the clubs are ripping us off. At least 60% of what I spend on club soccer is paid directly to other entities (e.g. airlines, gas stations, restaurants, equipment manufacturers). The club's (and parent's) can't escape the "blame" for requiring that travel, but let that confuse you into thinking that the clubs themselves are charging too much.
              Agree. In addition if people were really concerned about costs then they would switch off weekends with regard to travel. You take my kid and I will take yours. Almost never happens as most parents want to see their kid play. I have also seen folks fly to places where driving is an option at 5x the cost.

Comment

We definitely got what we paid for with NEFC. Great experience. Am hoping my u10 makes one of the teams at the upcoming try outs.

Comment

We definitely got what we paid for with NEFC. Great experience. Am hoping my u10 makes one of the teams at the upcoming try outs.
                  Smells like a club employee... A parent actually talking up a club before tryouts when it appears there's no guarantee your kid will make the team... More kids = less chance of your kid making the team. Good try though.

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
                    we definitely got what we paid for with nefc. Great experience. Am hoping my u10 makes one of the teams at the upcoming try outs.
                    troll alert.................................... ; )

Comment

I have been trying to get this message across for some time. No club can do what so many seem to think they can do. If your child is destined to do something with soccer, what that is will be entirely dependent on their personal talents and drive. The clubs as an entity will actually have very little impact on the end result. The specific people you surround your child with will have an impact but it is actually the other players that will have the most significant impact, not the adults (parents/coaches). The biggest problem with soccer in this area is this notion that money can take the place of talent. You cannot buy soccer success by simply putting your child on one team or another. Whenever you want to think that isn't the case go look into some of the personal histories of international professional players. Lots of the world's best players came from very humble backgrounds with next to nothing and their talent is the major thing that propelled upward in the game. You absolutely do not need to spend a fortune to encourage your child's soccer ambitions. Be objective about how much talent your child has as well as their drive to succeed WITH SOCCER, then find a team on a level whose expectations are consistent with that.

Comment

The timing of this thread popping up is just so strange. Just a few minutes ago, four of my colleagues and I were saying exactly this. Between us we have had or currently have children play for Bolts, Scorpions, Stars, Abbey Villa, MPS (Bulldogs and Knights), NEFC, and Galway Rovers. The consistent theme is feeling ripped off by the clubs who are more interested in making money than developing players. Each of us had a handful of stories about poor behavior by clubs that would make you cringe. By far there is the most distrust and disgust with MPS and the least with AV and NEFC. Interestingly AV got a lot of kudos for developing skillful players. It caused us to stop and wonder if playing for a small club makes more sense instead of getting caught up in the machine that is, say, MPS. Or, does it make sense to be with a smaller club in the earlier years and then move to a bigger club if/when the recruiting process is important?

The second theme that kept popping up in our conversation is the quality and reliability of coaching which is consistently inconsistent. Most of us have had both good and bad (unfortunately more bad than good) coaching experiences but it's interesting that the clubs seem to take no accountability for the bad coaches. Or the coaches have too many commitments so you pay, say, $3,600 for your player fee and have a series of fill in coaches show up to the games because the assigned coach has a conflict.

The third theme is the parents. Or, more specifically, the parents who think their kid is the superstar. Interestingly, of the five of us, only two could say in all their years of being involved and watching A LOT of soccer that we saw a kid who had "it" and who went on to either a fully funded scholarship or professional opportunity.

It makes you wonder if we are being smart consumers here. We give a lot of money, time, energy and emotion to this but the return is hard to measure and the clubs seem unaccountable when the consumer asks questions or questions what they are doing.

We ended up wishing we could pass advice and our experience on to those just entering the system. But we also know, few would listen.

Just an interesting conversation of 5 parents each with 2 or more children who have played in the eastern MA club scene.
                        OUTSTANDING post. I'm not quite as far along in my own experience, but the similarities to my own and people I know that we're talking rule rather than exception.

Comment

Originally posted by beentheredonethat View Post
                          You cannot buy soccer success by simply putting your child on one team or another.
                          But you can certain greatly reduce their chances!

Comment

But you can certain greatly reduce their chances!
                            This is exactly the type of thinking that is killing youth soccer. If your boy is the next Messi it will not matter whether they play for the Bolts, Revs or some other club. Their talent will get them recognized and provide them with all of the opportunities they will need. When you are a budding superstar people start approaching YOU and offering things (like free soccer) so they can mentor you. You don't have to go shopping for it. If this type of situation is not even remotely close to happening with your player then you need to adjust your view on just how good their chances really are. Over reaching is not going to reduce their chances it will merely waste your money.

Comment

Smells like a club employee... A parent actually talking up a club before tryouts when it appears there's no guarantee your kid will make the team... More kids = less chance of your kid making the team. Good try though.
                              my point was that for my older daughter we have had a great experience with NEFC. My younger daughter will now try out for them and I hope she makes one of their teams.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X