San Diego Surf SC Welcomes New Affiliate, New York Surf SC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think it's a scam and they putting the pieces together, but they are too late to get the types of players they really want on Long Island. Most likely they will only attract those that were cut, rather than the ones who already committed to other high level teams. And then the players who are on those high level teams who might consider switching don't really want to be on mixed teams where some of the depth is missing.

If they had gotten things together in Nassau a few weeks earlier...it could have been a very different story. Not sure how this plays out for them -- if they have sub-par, losing teams, it tarnishes their reputation. If they don't have players, they don't have teams at all. It's a catch-22.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I don't think it's a scam and they putting the pieces together, but they are too late to get the types of players they really want on Long Island. Most likely they will only attract those that were cut, rather than the ones who already committed to other high level teams. And then the players who are on those high level teams who might consider switching don't really want to be on mixed teams where some of the depth is missing.

If they had gotten things together in Nassau a few weeks earlier...it could have been a very different story. Not sure how this plays out for them -- if they have sub-par, losing teams, it tarnishes their reputation. If they don't have players, they don't have teams at all. It's a catch-22.
      If they are collecting money without fields or coaches it's a scam. Larry is complicit in the scam

Comment

Maybe they are reacting to Cedar Stars coming into NY. CS already has a boys DA and they are supposed to be getting a girls DA.

How can Surf have tryouts if they haven't finalized fields?

Maybe Surf will take over Sachem. It would solve the field lease situation.

What do you mean - they DO have fields. On their FAQ, for fields, one of the ones listed is "ANY HS TURF FIELD IN QUEENS" ... Ha ha. So in other words any field that is rentable to anybody is now one of 'their' fields.

I feel sorry for any kids that are in a good situation that leave for them.

Comment

What do you mean - they DO have fields. On their FAQ, for fields, one of the ones listed is "ANY HS TURF FIELD IN QUEENS" ... Ha ha. So in other words any field that is rentable to anybody is now one of 'their' fields.

I feel sorry for any kids that are in a good situation that leave for them.
          Most aren't leaving good situations this year. Surf will mostly get the players who had no where to go/looking for any option. They were just too late in the tryout season in securing fields and coaches. That said their recent announcements of college coach hires is impressive. the drawback is realistically they won't have much time to coach - in fact zero in the fall and would likely only coach one team each in the spring. Of course I've tried posting that sentiment more than once on BOTN and it never gets posted :) lol. Still, having those will attract other quality coaches next year, which attracts better players.

Comment

Surf Fields

•KK Athletics, Farmingville
            St. Joseph's College, Patchogue
            •Mamaroneck HS Turf
            •SUNY Purchase Turf, Purchase
            •Alma Fields, Larchmont
            •Manhattanville College, Purchase
            •Harbor Island, Mamaroneck
            •Saxon Woods Turf, White Plains
            •White Plains HS Turf, White Plains
            •Pace University Turf, Pleasantville
            •Flint Park, Larchmont
            •Mercy College, Dobbs Ferry
            •Any Queens HS Turf field
            •Randalls Island

So the only Suffolk County fields are "KK Athletics" which are indoor fields, unless they are including that field at the Portuguese-American center which is awful, and St. Joseph's College which is a single turf rental field that is already overbooked.

And yes, the "Any Queens HS Turf Field" is awesome, just awesome.

Comment

lol Larry is still at it.

Post #1: I think it's great you are confident in your child's ability, but before your kid joined this new organization, did you know who the trainer was going to be? Do you know now? It seems like this club has come in with a lot of fan fare because they are successful on the West Coast, but how does that necessarily mean that SURF East Coast is going to replicate that success here. They are listing area college coaches as hires, but does anyone think these college coaches are going to have any real time to devote to the SURF and take time away from their FULL TIME JOB. I wish the SURF the very best, but I just think people joined the band wagon blind and are so fast to bash other new clubs.

Larry: Nice try at trying to spin this into the toilet. Are you from another club? Are you paul Riley whose email to the '07 team I have a copy of? Are EM or another club not able to stay standing on your surf board? maybe a parent whose kid didn't make it?

Anyone who thinks the top of the coaching pyramid in our area just signed on to have their name on BOTN is on drugs. You are a clown trying insinuate you know what the role of these quality coaches will be. JEALOUS and FRIGHTENED is how I read your post.

Suck it up because its happening...number 5 college coach to be released in a day or three...and you can come to the practices, tryouts and games at Fordham, Adelphi, or any of the other college facilities.

"NY Surf FC where every practice, training and game is a college showcase"

Deal with it...

Comment

Post #1: I think it's great you are confident in your child's ability, but before your kid joined this new organization, did you know who the trainer was going to be? Do you know now? It seems like this club has come in with a lot of fan fare because they are successful on the West Coast, but how does that necessarily mean that SURF East Coast is going to replicate that success here. They are listing area college coaches as hires, but does anyone think these college coaches are going to have any real time to devote to the SURF and take time away from their FULL TIME JOB. I wish the SURF the very best, but I just think people joined the band wagon blind and are so fast to bash other new clubs.

Larry: Nice try at trying to spin this into the toilet. Are you from another club? Are you paul Riley whose email to the '07 team I have a copy of? Are EM or another club not able to stay standing on your surf board? maybe a parent whose kid didn't make it?

Anyone who thinks the top of the coaching pyramid in our area just signed on to have their name on BOTN is on drugs. You are a clown trying insinuate you know what the role of these quality coaches will be. JEALOUS and FRIGHTENED is how I read your post.

Suck it up because its happening...number 5 college coach to be released in a day or three...and you can come to the practices, tryouts and games at Fordham, Adelphi, or any of the other college facilities.

Deal with it...
                Except they are all part time and will never be there. Just names at this point. Really all it is.

Comment

Deal with it...
                  Larry you are really selling this too hard. Your reply was way too defensive and insulting. Keep milking it Larry that's they way I read your reply

Larry Milker Miller you are pathetic

Comment

The college coaches have time for 1 team and it's usually 9th grade on up. College coaches usually have club practices on their fields because they can coach college team and then follow up with club team without traveling. The club team may get to play their home games on the college turf but I doubt other Surf teams will get to do so.

I bet parents sign up thinking they can get their kid a college soccer scholarship! What they don't see is being cut after a couple of years or being relegated to the B team as Surf takes hold AND lives up to its implied promises.

BOTN says one more college to sign up. Who will that be?

Stony Brook
                    Hofstra
                    St. John's?
                    Dowling??? ha ha ha

Still waiting for the new, fresh, non-local, non-rehashed coaches and DOC.

Comment

The college coaches have time for 1 team and it's usually 9th grade on up. College coaches usually have club practices on their fields because they can coach college team and then follow up with club team without traveling. The club team may get to play their home games on the college turf but I doubt other Surf teams will get to do so.

I bet parents sign up thinking they can get their kid a college soccer scholarship! What they don't see is being cut after a couple of years or being relegated to the B team as Surf takes hold AND lives up to its implied promises.

BOTN says one more college to sign up. Who will that be?

Stony Brook
                      Hofstra
                      St. John's?
                      Dowling??? ha ha ha

Still waiting for the new, fresh, non-local, non-rehashed coaches and DOC.
                      Precisely. Parents who don't have a clue likely think it's great to have college coaches. But they won't have the time and probably only want to coach older "A" teams with bigger skill sets. I don't see many of them coaching younger kids even if time wan't an issue. And frankly some college coaches should only coach older kids - they don't have the temperament for younger ones

Besides thats what 4-5 coaches, coaching one team each? Who else of quality are they hiring for the majority of their teams? It seems like they've spent all their time (and probably money) courting these coaches instead of quality coaches that will be the bulk of the hires

Comment

It's ironic that there are more boys Westchester teams than girls .... but the Surf name is based on girls and ECNL.

The boys teams have basically 2 coaches. So which team gets the coach at tournaments? Do they plan to have joint practices? That's not really fair. Each age should have their own practice.

I bet they went into Nassau because they didn't get enough from up north.

And everyone will be watching to see where these Surf teams play and if they win. I am sure there will be plenty of excuses as to why they suck.

Comment

Did you checkout their fb page? Nice that all the head honchos got to get box seats at met life for the key games. Glad to see my 3k tuition not going to waste!

Comment

Anyone go to the Nassau tryouts? How many girls were there per age group?

Comment

So all of the affiliated colleges coaches will be at every team's practices, all training sessions and all games? That's incredible! Maybe Larry is right after all!

I love how he ridiculed EFCW for having the Fordham Mens coach (who he claimed to have never heard of), but couldn't stop gushing that Surf hired the Fordham Women's Coach.

Not sure why Larry or the mgmt team at Surf think his raising of expectations helps them.

Their teams in Westchester are full of kids that got cut from EFCW and NYSC after the first tryout and B team players from WYSL.

This is perfectly OK for a clubs first year, but with the Larry hype machine turned up to 11, these teams are going to seem like a crushing disappointment.

Comment

Did you checkout their fb page? Nice that all the head honchos got to get box seats at met life for the key games. Glad to see my 3k tuition not going to waste!
                                I heard Larry got seats in the Legend section

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X