Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scholarship Opportunity

Is the “scholarship opportunity” card the best tool that Club Soccer organizations have to recruit the unwashed uneducated masses and ensure that they continue stroking checks blindly to the DOCs?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Is the “scholarship opportunity” card the best tool that Club Soccer organizations have to recruit the unwashed uneducated masses and ensure that they continue stroking checks blindly to the DOCs?
    only if the scholarships are academic in nature... anyone believing they are going to get anything much more than that is wearing blinders.. you can gain a position on a college team, but money... very few get much, if any at all.

Comment

The parents need to be involved in the college process if their youngster wants to play. The large D1 schools target players early. If you have not heard anything by the beginning of the junior year, it's probably too late for D1 major schools.

So get on the computer and find schools that fit your child's needs. Then go make visits. However, the parent and player must make this happen together by working the prospective college (coach). The DOC can usually act as a resource and affirm the child's level of play, maturity, etc. It is not his job to do the leg work.

Remember, the college coach will want to find out your child's GPA, behavior, and see him or her play.

Social devients are not ususally wanted. This eliminates lots of soccer players so there is space for your child. In addition, drug addicts and alcoholic abusers are most often unwelcome. Again, there are lots of these types that are good palyers but won't cut it.

Comment

The parents need to be involved in the college process if their youngster wants to play. The large D1 schools target players early. If you have not heard anything by the beginning of the junior year, it's probably too late for D1 major schools.

So get on the computer and find schools that fit your child's needs. Then go make visits. However, the parent and player must make this happen together by working the prospective college (coach). The DOC can usually act as a resource and affirm the child's level of play, maturity, etc. It is not his job to do the leg work.

Remember, the college coach will want to find out your child's GPA, behavior, and see him or her play.

Social devients are not ususally wanted. This eliminates lots of soccer players so there is space for your child. In addition, drug addicts and alcoholic abusers are most often unwelcome. Again, there are lots of these types that are good palyers but won't cut it.
        i had no idea youth soccer harbors so many social deviants, drug abusers and alcoholics (the players, I mean- I know about the parents.)

Comment

yes, plenty of them and their grades aren't much to speak of but since they play on a top team their dulusional parents think they will get a full ride

it's really quite funny when you think about it

Comment

i had no idea youth soccer harbors so many social deviants, drug abusers and alcoholics (the players, I mean- I know about the parents.)
            I'm glad you haven't gone throught that...try motivating a team for a tournament when half of them show up hungover from prom right before first kick...being team manager is almost never fun, but getting attitude from 5-6 hungover teenagers is worse...

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuEw6P5OBuw

Comment

Indeed, quite a surprise. Futbol is loaded with parents and children that one might call varmints, miscreants and charlatans. Uh, sorry, the coaches are charlatans.

Comment

You're pretty spot on with most of this, except that the coaches do not want to hear from parents, they want to hear from the player. the parent can do what ever to help in the process, but let the player make the contacts and speak to the coach, it is after all, the player they are after, not a parent that is overly involved in the process. They are getting older, and need to take the responsibility on themselves, and a coach will notice that player before the one that daddy has done all the work on. Not bashing, but speaking as someone who has been through the process...

Comment

You're pretty spot on with most of this, except that the coaches do not want to hear from parents, they want to hear from the player. the parent can do what ever to help in the process, but let the player make the contacts and speak to the coach, it is after all, the player they are after, not a parent that is overly involved in the process. They are getting older, and need to take the responsibility on themselves, and a coach will notice that player before the one that daddy has done all the work on. Not bashing, but speaking as someone who has been through the process...
                    Thank you. Your comments are correct. I should have said the parents need to support the child in the process. The parent needs to make sure they player has the tools to contact the coaches, make unofficial visits etc. Good catch.

No comments on my last paragraph? I had to throw that in fro some fun and laughs.

Comment

Thank you. Your comments are correct. I should have said the parents need to support the child in the process. The parent needs to make sure they player has the tools to contact the coaches, make unofficial visits etc. Good catch.

No comments on my last paragraph? I had to throw that in fro some fun and laughs.
                      Not I did not because
                      A. I'm not a troll

and

B. There's too much truth to it unfortunately...

Comment

Any club coach that speaks to players about college scholarships in order to get them in the door or retain them should not be listened to. At u13 my daughter's coach tried to sell a certain position to her by telling her that she would have a better chance at a college scholarship if she played centerback. What a load of bullcrap.

Kids need to play for the love of the game and play at high levels for the love of competition. A scholarship is a cherry on top; but is not the reason to play. Be careful of any coach using the scholarship carrot!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X