Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Quite the opposite. Maybe your reading comprehension skills are lacking. Kid learns to stand up for themselves, and not take any ****e from adult bums.
    This here is one reason why there has been a breakdown in respect in society. You think teaching kids to tell their coach to eff off is the right answer? Idiocracy in action here...

Next time a teacher gives your kid a bad grade even though they studied really hard, just have them tell the teacher to eff off.

Next time they get a bad review at work, just have them tell their boss to eff off.

Next time they are pulled over for speeding, but they were totally justified as the kid's late for work/school/date, just have him tell the cop to eff off.

You'll get far in life that way, I promise </sarc>

You want to learn how to deal with bullies? Join the army. Go through basic and AIT. Then come back and tell us what you learned about dealing with bullies.

Comment

This thread is an example of why parents suck. If the coach is yelling at your kid, it's because the kid is screwing up. Get over it.

Helicopter parents. Lawn mower parents. Retarded kids who can't think for themselves, can't follow basic instructions. Yet they all think they are special little snowflakes.

Your kid will be lucky to make varsity HS soccer his junior year and won't be playing in college unless it's intramural. Get over it. It's sports. Grow a thicker skin.

Comment

This here is one reason why there has been a breakdown in respect in society. You think teaching kids to tell their coach to eff off is the right answer? Idiocracy in action here...

Next time a teacher gives your kid a bad grade even though they studied really hard, just have them tell the teacher to eff off.

Next time they get a bad review at work, just have them tell their boss to eff off.

Next time they are pulled over for speeding, but they were totally justified as the kid's late for work/school/date, just have him tell the cop to eff off.

You'll get far in life that way, I promise </sarc>

You want to learn how to deal with bullies? Join the army. Go through basic and AIT. Then come back and tell us what you learned about dealing with bullies.
        First, I was in the military and any comparison to military life and civilian life is unfair and how a drill sergeant treats you arriving for basic training is hardly how you want to raise your kids. They are training you in a very short time for war. Period. You can say it’s for discipline, self-respect, etc., but really it’s so you follow orders and don’t ask questions when the shooting starts. That’s totally unlike civilian life so let’s cut that crap out.

I agree with you that you should never teach your kids to curse at authority, but once they can in HS you must teach them to advocate for themselves in a respectful way. Sadly, the world is full of a-holes and sometimes you need to stand up to them. They need to learn that lesson - pre-HS they learn it by watch you and in HS they need to put it into practice. So yes, if their HS coach or club coach wants to be a total d*ck with them for no good reason, I tell me kids to a) ignore them and if that doesn’t work b) try talking to them and if that doesn’t work c) tell them to eff off!

Comment

First, I was in the military and any comparison to military life and civilian life is unfair and how a drill sergeant treats you arriving for basic training is hardly how you want to raise your kids. They are training you in a very short time for war. Period. You can say it’s for discipline, self-respect, etc., but really it’s so you follow orders and don’t ask questions when the shooting starts. That’s totally unlike civilian life so let’s cut that crap out.

I agree with you that you should never teach your kids to curse at authority, but once they can in HS you must teach them to advocate for themselves in a respectful way. Sadly, the world is full of a-holes and sometimes you need to stand up to them. They need to learn that lesson - pre-HS they learn it by watch you and in HS they need to put it into practice. So yes, if their HS coach or club coach wants to be a total d*ck with them for no good reason, I tell me kids to a) ignore them and if that doesn’t work b) try talking to them and if that doesn’t work c) tell them to eff off!
          Being an advocate for yourself is different than being an entitled twat who can't take criticism or being told their wrong and lashing out at whatever authority figure is making your life difficult.

As to military life, the whole drill sergeant thing is to break down the civilian and build up a soldier. I get it. But the bottom line is most soldiers know what bullying is and have no problem standing up against it, respectfully.

Life is hard. Learn to have a thick skin. Learn to listen more and talk less. Be respectful, but stand up for your ideals. Most importantly, learn which fights you can win and which are lost for they start...

Comment

Agreed it's a multi step process. Flying off the handle like the coach does might feel good for a second but it's not going to get results. Try different tactics first. Standing up for yourself doesn't have to mean tit for tat.

Comment

This thread is an example of why parents suck. If the coach is yelling at your kid, it's because the kid is screwing up. Get over it.

Helicopter parents. Lawn mower parents. Retarded kids who can't think for themselves, can't follow basic instructions. Yet they all think they are special little snowflakes.

Your kid will be lucky to make varsity HS soccer his junior year and won't be playing in college unless it's intramural. Get over it. It's sports. Grow a thicker skin.
              Totally agree on the parent part. My kids team has the obnoxious parents that complain about a coach if their kid only gets 40% playing time, they argue with parents from visiting teams, etc.

Only part I would add is that the OP was complaining that coaches yell at one kid but not another for the same mistake. I can see that a lot with our coach. I think it causes more problems than it helps.

Comment

No, the OP said the coach is berating, yelling at kids constantly, and treating some players like they aren’t a valued member of the team. That’s not a good coach. Any good that coach is trying to teach (if they know what they are doing at all), gets lost in the way they are interacting with players. Only someone with no experience in coaching or sports thinks that the right way to do it is to act like a jackass on the sidelines.

Comment

Being an advocate for yourself is different than being an entitled twat who can't take criticism or being told their wrong and lashing out at whatever authority figure is making your life difficult.

As to military life, the whole drill sergeant thing is to break down the civilian and build up a soldier. I get it. But the bottom line is most soldiers know what bullying is and have no problem standing up against it, respectfully.

Life is hard. Learn to have a thick skin. Learn to listen more and talk less. Be respectful, but stand up for your ideals. Most importantly, learn which fights you can win and which are lost for they start...
                  We are still talking about girls soccer right? A game that kids choose to play in their spare time for fun and competition?

Comment

Not always true. Have you heard about the idiot coach who would scream and yell one game and the next game he would sit and do nothing. He called it "No coach Sunday" He is a club killer.

Comment

Not always true. Have you heard about the idiot coach who would scream and yell one game and the next game he would sit and do nothing. He called it "No coach Sunday" He is a club killer.
                      Nice try.
                      A true “Sunday coach” philosophy encompasses limited coaching during any match, including Tuesdays. Many good coaches are misunderstood by ignorant parents who fail to understand the methodology
                      Training is when learning occurs. Screaming during a match is expected by hockey, basketball and football coaches who are idolized for their approach, not so much for soccer. Again, unless the parents are classic idiots and worship at the altar of Woody Hayes.
                      Bully coaches exist in every sport. But soccer attracts kids who can’t play other sports, so sometimes the mixture combusts. Frustration at every level.
                      Btw, only losing coaches catch this flak...winners never hear a peep, regardless of volume.

Comment

Nice try.
                        A true “Sunday coach” philosophy encompasses limited coaching during any match, including Tuesdays. Many good coaches are misunderstood by ignorant parents who fail to understand the methodology
                        Training is when learning occurs. Screaming during a match is expected by hockey, basketball and football coaches who are idolized for their approach, not so much for soccer. Again, unless the parents are classic idiots and worship at the altar of Woody Hayes.
                        Bully coaches exist in every sport. But soccer attracts kids who can’t play other sports, so sometimes the mixture combusts. Frustration at every level.
                        Btw, only losing coaches catch this flak...winners never hear a peep, regardless of volume.
                        I agreed with everything you said up to the last few sentences. Boys are more likely to gravitate to other sports as they get older and some groups don’t get exposed to the sport as much as others, but a lot of strong athletes play soccer. Any pass that winning gets a bully coach is very temporary. Ultimately bad coaching effects team performance and parent relations.

Comment

All these snowflake kids who can't take getting yelled at and parents who believe their kids have been wronged. Wait until you get into HS. You think the yelling is bad in club, you haven't seen anything yet.

I'm sure the parents will just go have a chat with the AD. That's what this generation of wimps does: let their parents squeal until little Johnny or Mia get more play time or play their preferred position.

Not sure what happened between the Greatest generation, the Boomers, Gen-X and Millennials, but somewhere along the line, we raised a bunch of wimps. I blame the BPA in plastics...

Comment

All these snowflake kids who can't take getting yelled at and parents who believe their kids have been wronged. Wait until you get into HS. You think the yelling is bad in club, you haven't seen anything yet.

I'm sure the parents will just go have a chat with the AD. That's what this generation of wimps does: let their parents squeal until little Johnny or Mia get more play time or play their preferred position.

Not sure what happened between the Greatest generation, the Boomers, Gen-X and Millennials, but somewhere along the line, we raised a bunch of wimps. I blame the BPA in plastics...
                            The ones that sit there , bend over and out up with bullies, are the snowflakes. Just my opinion. Soft, weak, wussies.

Comment

This post is about bullies. Adults that get off berating kids. Not normal behavior. Get that? Anyone that lets a bully walk all over them is a snowflake. I was old school, and was always taught to challenge a bully. It usually ends it. Sometimes that are not even worth the energy, and in that case I flip the bird and move on. Bullies need to watch their backs. It’s the quiet ones they may need to watch out for.

Comment

Or college. College coaches are just as bad. Good luck going to the college AD to get the pressure of your kid.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X