Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cuts? Pulled aside/emailed/called or nothing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cuts? Pulled aside/emailed/called or nothing?

My daughter has been on the same team last few years and think she could be cut. Should we expect some sort of notification or just an offer for the lower team? Any etiquette on this?

If there is a lower team, she would be given an offer for it. They wouldn't cut an A team player completely from the club if there are B and C teams. She would just drop a level. (Unless the parents have done something egregious, and you would know).

It is not a big deal, though it may seem like it at the time. It can be a huge confidence boost to be one of the best players on the team. I have seen kids move down a level and stay there, but I've also seen kids move down a level and then move steadily up.

Hang in there!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      My daughter has been on the same team last few years and think she could be cut. Should we expect some sort of notification or just an offer for the lower team? Any etiquette on this?
      You are most likely to find out when you get the offer from the lower team. It’s cold and may be the part of tryout season that is handled in the least human way.

Comment

If you don't find out about any potential issues with your daughter staying on the same team before you get an offer letter... go to a club that might actually care about her.

Comment

If you don't find out about any potential issues with your daughter staying on the same team before you get an offer letter... go to a club that might actually care about her.
          Placing a girl on a lower team, if that's where she belongs, doesn't mean the club doesn't care about her. More likely, it's the opposite.

My kid was a B-teamer for a while and coach was clear in their reasoning. Putting her at a level she wasn't prepared for likely would've just driven her from the game.

Comment

Ask her coach directly.

Comment

I feel like she should get some sort of reach out. The girls
              Are younger and have really bonded last few years. Also some of the girls on the lower team are B town travel level. A few are also on her A town team and she’s done with that this year as it’s frustrating with lower players. It would be a big drop. Don’t know if we should leave the club (one with easier commute) or tolerate it for a year hoping that the next they go to 11v11 and she gets added back. Think a big issue is many are starting to hit puberty and hasn’t. Growth spurt still coming! 😝

Comment

Basing it on her not being a starter and them seeming to only look at big girls when they had new player tryouts. My daughter is medium height but thin.

Comment

Basing it on her not being a starter and them seeming to only look at big girls when they had new player tryouts. My daughter is medium height but thin.
                  Have you tried reaching out to the coach and asking about where she stands currently?

Comment

You'll get the offer letter that says they are so pleased offer your daughter a place on the Metro-Central-Elite-White team with a very talented group of players, hoping you'll think they just rearranged the red, blue, and white order they had this year to keep things interesting. Then you'll find out after you sign the contract that she was cut to a lower team.

Comment

I feel like she should get some sort of reach out. The girls
                      Are younger and have really bonded last few years. Also some of the girls on the lower team are B town travel level. A few are also on her A town team and she’s done with that this year as it’s frustrating with lower players. It would be a big drop. Don’t know if we should leave the club (one with easier commute) or tolerate it for a year hoping that the next they go to 11v11 and she gets added back. Think a big issue is many are starting to hit puberty and hasn’t. Growth spurt still coming! 😝
                      To pose the question is to know the answer.

Ok, your dd is U11 going to U12, still 9v9. A roster of 12? So she is in
                      bottom 1/3 of the roster if you are afraid she will be cut. She has been
                      on this team since U9? Not a starter and maybe 20 minutes of pt?

Teams change all the time and bonding is not the issue to think about.
                      You got think about her personal development. Dropping down to the B
                      team will wreck her confidence and bruise your ego among the parents.
                      If she and you, especially YOU, have the strength to fight through this,
                      then I would consider it staying. But it usually doesn't work that way.

The keys are personal development and what goals are you thinking about
                      for her. College ball? hs? Just for fun, exercise and friends? Reason why
                      I ask if to realize that puberty, love of the game, and frankly genetics,
                      will change things in the next few years. She could quit b/c she doesn't
                      love it anymore. Boys. School. Whatever.

I don't know the particulars, but if I were you, I would find the coach
                      that wants her to be on her team, not default by being cut. You need
                      to foster her love of the game. This is key: She needs to play as
                      many minutes as possible. Don't think of the badge. Also, make your
                      life easier with the easy commute. This is a long journey that could
                      end at any moment due to injury, disinterest, etc.

My dd just got past this time of transition and she is on recruiting
                      path for college. Most likely D1 or academic D3, which depends
                      on the school. Btw, my 2nd rodeo with her. Good luck.

Comment

IMO, club/team/coach owes it to A team players to be upfront about whether they're in danger of being put on a lower team. The damage to confidence in a young girl is huge and if she's been working hard, showing up to everything and still isn't at their A standard then they should be professionals and be transparent with the parents and player that moving down is a possibility. Waiting until after you commit would be a sleazy, weak move on their part. It would show the primary interest is in money and frankly should be a warning to anyone on the A team about how the club acts.

Comment

Thanks. This helps me think it out. HS is the goal. Leaning towards going to closer team tryouts although she will have to miss practice. Hoping we know placement before that. She isn’t out of place on the A team. Some others very similar. You have 5 very strong players. Didn’t see any amazing new talent come to tryouts. Probably leaning towards leaving for a year if need be. Perhaps try out again next year. If she could do a practice a week with this team that may be an option to stay. Just know going too much lower in the level of play will frustrate her. She is so done with town because of that. Compared to most towns it’s a strong town team. Struggling to figure out where she fits.

Comment

Good luck to your daughter!

Comment

IMO, club/team/coach owes it to A team players to be upfront about whether they're in danger of being put on a lower team. The damage to confidence in a young girl is huge and if she's been working hard, showing up to everything and still isn't at their A standard then they should be professionals and be transparent with the parents and player that moving down is a possibility. Waiting until after you commit would be a sleazy, weak move on their part. It would show the primary interest is in money and frankly should be a warning to anyone on the A team about how the club acts.
                              Some clubs will designate players to the B team, and then deny it's the B team....

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X