X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plus D1 players get paid for running and kicking

Comment

Another good resource is the d3boards.com. there is a forum devoted to men's soccer. The board is quiet right now but picks up in August and is very busy in the season. Lots of good info on players, teams and coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Thanks for taking the time. This is very helpful. If someone has the same info on the boys side please do share.
        Pretty much the same for boys. Coaches know they don't "own" players. It didn't take my son long to figure out he didn't want D1, despite plenty of interest. He's not even super academically focused but he figured out he wanted a more balanced school experience. Thinking back I don't even think any of the D3s he looked at required athletes to house together (many D1s do) - again, that gives a more "normal" college experience. D3 has still kept him plenty busy and he is 110% happy with his choice. Some of his teammates that went D1 weren't even on rosters by year 2 - either quit, got cut or transferred. While a bit of $ would have been nice, there's very little athletic $ in men's soccer and he got some merit $ that was somewhat higher than what he was offered at 2 D1 schools.

Comment

But Mom and Dad get to brag at the water cooler that their kid played D1 soccer.
          I don't who is bragging - most people you'd brag to don't even know the difference or care. they lump college athletes all together

Comment

You never sit when your an impact player .Only when you are a roster fill in.

Comment

You never sit when your an impact player .Only when you are a roster fill in.
              Yes, and your point is?

Comment

You are correct. D3 is kick and run only with slow and out of shape players
                So Mr D1 riddle me this. How do you explain a D3 team beating a MAC team in a spring game and loosing 1 to 0 against another d1 team that made the NCAA tournament? Oh BTW the D3 school even played their manager in the scrimmages.

Don't be fooled by the hype, most D1 schools are very comparable to good D3 schools when they roll the ball out....

Comment

Scrimmages are what your using to compare D1and D3 .You are a fool if you think D1 and D3 are even close.Only 1 D3 can maybe compete and that’s Williams .

Comment

So Mr D1 riddle me this. How do you explain a D3 team beating a MAC team in a spring game and loosing 1 to 0 against another d1 team that made the NCAA tournament? Oh BTW the D3 school even played their manager in the scrimmages.

Don't be fooled by the hype, most D1 schools are very comparable to good D3 schools when they roll the ball out....
                    Can you let us know the schools involved? I realize a scrimmage is just that, but interested to hear nevertheless.

Comment

Scrimmages are what your using to compare D1and D3 .You are a fool if you think D1 and D3 are even close.Only 1 D3 can maybe compete and that’s Williams .
                      You may be correct (nah, you're wrong, there's plenty of overlap between top D3 and lower D1), but citing Williams isn't going to sway anyone. Maybe if you said Tufts (2 championships in a row). That really shouldn't surprise anyone - Tufts has several thousand students and is larger than many D1 schools that compete above their weight).

I'd suggest looking at the theoretical prospects as something like an FA Cup competition. A lower league team can pick off a Premiere league team every now and then. As you know, soccer is a low-scoring sport and randomness plays an outsized factor in the outcomes.

Comment

I don't who is bragging - most people you'd brag to don't even know the difference or care. they lump college athletes all together
                        Come on! I'm you explain the difference. You'll do anything to hear yourself talk.

Comment

Tufts the recent tufts team.Your kidding right.williams because it’s the most current team that’s close.

Comment

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I saw a game between Cornell and Yale last year and was shocked at what I saw. My son's USSDA team can absolutely compete with those teams. It was real ugly soccer. Kick and run. Plus all those substitutions made the play hectic and unwatchable. Players running around at full speed for 20 minutes, a bunch of subs come in and then the process repeats itself. There were maybe 2 or 3 players that played over 60 minutes.

I really don't understand the big hype around D1 besides of course the scholarships. Outside of the top 30 or so D1 teams, I have no doubt whatsoever that top D3 teams can compete just fine with D1s. This year I saw Manhatanville and University of Hartford play in separate games and I am certain that the 4 players on my son's team who chose D3 would have no problem making those teams. I know because two of his teammates got offers at both those schools and they are not starters like 3 of the 4 going to D3s. And 2 of those 3 players got offers at D1 schools but chose D3.

Comment

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I saw a game between Cornell and Yale last year and was shocked at what I saw. My son's USSDA team can absolutely compete with those teams. It was real ugly soccer. Kick and run. Plus all those substitutions made the play hectic and unwatchable. Players running around at full speed for 20 minutes, a bunch of subs come in and then the process repeats itself. There were maybe 2 or 3 players that played over 60 minutes.

I really don't understand the big hype around D1 besides of course the scholarships. Outside of the top 30 or so D1 teams, I have no doubt whatsoever that top D3 teams can compete just fine with D1s. This year I saw Manhatanville and University of Hartford play in separate games and I am certain that the 4 players on my son's team who chose D3 would have no problem making those teams. I know because two of his teammates got offers at both those schools and they are not starters like 3 of the 4 going to D3s. And 2 of those 3 players got offers at D1 schools but chose D3.
                              They probably could compete, but those Ivy league girls are going to get pretty good jobs once their 4 years are up.

Comment

My kids played in the top tier of NESCAC. Pre-season begins a week before school (after a summer of conditioning check-ins online). After regular season and conference championships, NCAA tourney through November, depending on how far the team goes. After winter break, conditioning/lifting in winter and spring, and indoor league (off campus, no coach) in winter. Encouraged to do semester abroad for second semester if players so desire--many do. Players able to take lab sciences, and able to participate in major extracurriculars beyond sports. LOTS of team bonding: meals, excursions, community service, etc., and many teammates become roommates. Friendships among teammates last beyond college. Highly recommend.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X