• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parents, Don't Fall Into the Sunk-Cost Fallacy With Youth Sports

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobcook...A#1abce83520d0

An article that relates to everyone on this site

Comment

Amen. However beyond just the cost parents also feel the pressure for kids to just be good at something so they stand out, find their "hook". Theres also too much emphasis that if you're not doing something at the highest level you shouldn't even bother. God forbid kids do things just for fun. Theres certainly some posters on this site that espouse that position

Comment

Whatever.. I pay for my kid because she loves to play. I hope she gets some scholarship money but I’d pay either way This is never about an investment with significant returns, it’s about being a supportive parent providing for a d that loves to play Nothing more, nothing less

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Whatever.. I pay for my kid because she loves to play. I hope she gets some scholarship money but I’d pay either way This is never about an investment with significant returns, it’s about being a supportive parent providing for a d that loves to play Nothing more, nothing less
          True dat. I like other sports better but its their decision. All I really care about is that they do something.

Comment

Yup - it would be great if it worked out with a return but not doing it for that reason. Kid loves to play, enjoys being pushed by playing with the best kids she can. Can't do that in local travel and anyway it is entertaining to watch the games and its become something for us to do as a family.

Comment

My daughter took guitar lessons between the ages of 12-15. I guess the author of this article believes we should never have done so because we will never see a return on that "investment"

Comment

To spend or not to spend thousands of dollars on a kids hobby = first world problems.

Comment

To spend or not to spend thousands of dollars on a kids hobby = first world problems.

Best hobby of my life

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X