Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email format for contacting coaches?

Does anyone have recommendations for email formats and information to include when young high school athletes are reaching out to coaches for the first time?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Does anyone have recommendations for email formats and information to include when young high school athletes are reaching out to coaches for the first time?
    Maybe let your kid figure this one out? If players are old enough to be looking at colleges, they should be able to compose an email stating their interest in a program, with any relevant info about themselves and questions they have regarding the program. They will be off on their own soon enough and should be practicing these life skills now.

Comment

why interested in program/school
      very brief resume (team/league/accolades/coaches with their contact info)
      2 minute video
      showcase schedule

Comment

Maybe let your kid figure this one out? If players are old enough to be looking at colleges, they should be able to compose an email stating their interest in a program, with any relevant info about themselves and questions they have regarding the program. They will be off on their own soon enough and should be practicing these life skills now.
        No.

The coaches get hundreds of emails, sometimes in a single day. There are specific guidelines that coaches and recruiting services recommend for emailing coaches.

Subject line: be specific

Body of email: brief and to the point

They even recommend creating a specific email account for recruiting, such as: firstname.lastname.YOG@gmail.com. Example, john.smith.2019@gmail.com.

There are a lot of other tricks and pointers. At the end of the day, your kid has to introduce him/herself, get the point across in a few sentences, and have a call to action. Highlight videos should be 2 minutes or less. Shorter the better.

Comment

I found this book well worth the $13:
          https://www.amazon.com/Athletic-Scho...=1535552705751

You dont need it, but it clearly sets out all the steps in one place, including a sentence NY sentence guide to the cover letter.

If your player/family is serious about recruiting, they make the point that it can be time intensive, and that parents absolutely should be doing things like what a good cover letter looks like, creating a spreadsheet of colleges so you can track contacts, when things were sent etc.

Comment

You dont need it, but it clearly sets out all the steps in one place, including a sentence NY sentence guide to the cover letter.

If your player/family is serious about recruiting, they make the point that it can be time intensive, and that parents absolutely should be doing things like what a good cover letter looks like, creating a spreadsheet of colleges so you can track contacts, when things were sent etc.
            What seemed to work for my D was having some kind of connection to the school (e.g., "I watched your games against x and y." or "I know x and y from your team from camp/club/" etc.). Something that makes the letter seem less like a copy & paste form letter.

The other thing was the resume. It has to be legit, of course, but listing personal honors, team achievements, contacts and references, along with the upcoming schedule - gave her intro letter some more weight. We were coached to include a headshot in the video, along with an action shot that didn't make her look small or meek.

We never did a video, as the schools had already seen her or would be seeing her within the next few months anyway.

Comment

No one is advocating they don't do the actual work, but adults with experience cam offer useful guidance.

To op; ask you club DOC they might have an example. all above about being brief is legit, same with video

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                Ask your daughter's club. They provide this information.

Comment

Books like this (and people that buy them) tell me how many underskilled players and worried parents there actually are. If your kid can play, she will be found. If she is mediocre player on a strong team (or a decent player on a weaker team), set your sights realistically and stop trying to find a high bidder for her ..... she will be unhappy, you will be unhappy and her coach will be unhappy. Honestly, stop and smell the roses people .... go out and watch college games for SCHOOLS (not teams) that she is interested and meet the players and coaches. Narrow down your list and contact a few coaches to come watch you play (and maybe attend one of their clinics). It's better if they spend their time and money to come and watch your kid first ..... they will take clinic cash from anyone.

Comment

Oh shut up btdt. I agree if your kid has talent they will be found, at least by some programs. I also think you would be an idiot to not take control of the process. However, if being passive suits you, be my guest.

Maybe it is unnecessary that our family does this, because my son is in fact a stud. We have had college coaches reach out already, and he is a rising sophomore. That book is a good resource for anyone wanting to distill down the recruiting process.

Comment

If your kid can play, she will be found.
                      My kid could play but was never found. She did not play school or club, just played in the back yard. We kept waiting for a college coach to walk around our neighborhood looking for players that can play in every back yard but it never happened.

funny thing is one of our neighbors daughters played as club and got a few coaches to come to games, and got some interest. Another neighbors daughter sent videos and went to a few showcases and also got some interest. I thought if your kid could play they would just miraculously be "found". Who knew you had to actually get in front of coaches to be "found"

Comment

Oh shut up btdt. I agree if your kid has talent they will be found, at least by some programs. I also think you would be an idiot to not take control of the process. However, if being passive suits you, be my guest.

Maybe it is unnecessary that our family does this, because my son is in fact a stud. We have had college coaches reach out already, and he is a rising sophomore. That book is a good resource for anyone wanting to distill down the recruiting process.
                        A stud? Wow. Rubber meet road, road, meet rubber. Until he signs a deal, nothing matters. Every coach is extremely interested in every kid that contacts them until, a.) they see that they stink, b.) they can profit from them anymore, or c.) they found someone better.

Comment

My kid could play but was never found. She did not play school or club, just played in the back yard. We kept waiting for a college coach to walk around our neighborhood looking for players that can play in every back yard but it never happened.

funny thing is one of our neighbors daughters played as club and got a few coaches to come to games, and got some interest. Another neighbors daughter sent videos and went to a few showcases and also got some interest. I thought if your kid could play they would just miraculously be "found". Who knew you had to actually get in front of coaches to be "found"
                          If there was a true soccer culture in the US she would have been found.

Comment

Then your kid couldn't really play .... you just thought she could. If she actually could, a club would have found her and showcased her in front of college coaches that would love her or she would have got noticed scoring 50 goals in HS. She didn't get noticed by a club and she didn't make varsity until her senior year and then never got off the bench ... because she couldn't really play. See how that works?

Comment

A stud? Wow. Rubber meet road, road, meet rubber. Until he signs a deal, nothing matters. Every coach is extremely interested in every kid that contacts them until, a.) they see that they stink, b.) they can profit from them anymore, or c.) they found someone better.
                              Oh but this coach reached out without my son contacting him. That's what prompted us to decide to get organized and figure out what programs he might be interested in.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X