Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not enough tried out for Thorns to post U15/U17 selections???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    It is pretty clear that most of the best players in the state are playing high school.

There are plenty of good players playing on the thorns too, but not the best.

If the Thorns Academy truly wanted to get and retain the best players they would drop the silly ban on high school sports.

Just my opinion of course.
    I’m sure playing in the playoffs is fun but when you are ready to be serious instead of having fun, there are serious pathways to playing soccer. I’m sure it’s nice to have fun but it can also be a real distraction. From 13 to 18 years old is prime time to get better as a soccer player. Do you really want to waste that?

Do what you want but realize your choices have consequences.

Comment

I’m sure playing in the playoffs is fun but when you are ready to be serious instead of having fun, there are serious pathways to playing soccer. I’m sure it’s nice to have fun but it can also be a real distraction. From 13 to 18 years old is prime time to get better as a soccer player. Do you really want to waste that?

Winner!!!!
      Idiot post of the year!!

Comment

Winner!!!!
        Idiot post of the year!!
        Wait a second. This chat room is chock full of idiotic posts. Let’s take a breath and step back and get a little perspective. It can be hyper-idiot level but still not even break the daily top ten moron posts of the day.

Not that we have that cleared up I’d definitely put it in the top ten idiot posts of the day. It’s only 2pm though so let’s keep our options open. I can smell a bunch of bad ones coming.

Comment

Wait a second. This chat room is chock full of idiotic posts. Let’s take a breath and step back and get a little perspective. It can be hyper-idiot level but still not even break the daily top ten moron posts of the day.

Not that we have that cleared up I’d definitely put it in the top ten idiot posts of the day. It’s only 2pm though so let’s keep our options open. I can smell a bunch of bad ones coming.
          High School soccer is really important...10-0.

Recreational madness for nearly all of them, but 1 girls team with a bondafide DA player and some local club kiddos destroys all the rec teams.

Sure glad we are in it, to win it. Right?

Never gunna give up HS ever, it’s simply amazing stuff.

Comment

What are the consequences of playing HS soccer instead of GDA?

Comment

High School soccer is really important...10-0.

Recreational madness for nearly all of them, but 1 girls team with a bondafide DA player and some local club kiddos destroys all the rec teams.

Sure glad we are in it, to win it. Right?

Never gunna give up HS ever, it’s simply amazing stuff.
              It is almost as important as flying all the way to Utah to lose 3-1 and 4-0.

Sounds like you are all about development.

What are the end goals for your development? US Soccer WNT? I heard there are about 4 girls at Thorns Academy that have a legitimate chance.

Lots of local club kiddos who play HS soccer and will get an opportunity to play college soccer.

Comment

It is almost as important as flying all the way to Utah to lose 3-1 and 4-0.Sounds like you are all about development.What are the end goals for your development? US Soccer WNT? I heard there are about 4 girls at Thorns Academy that have a legitimate chance.Lots of local club kiddos who play HS soccer and will get an opportunity to play college soccer.
                Every girl in Oregon HS, that is remotely interested in playing in college (soccer) has a great chance of doing it. Title IX has created this bizarre landscape just for them with a cheap sport that formula's out the equivalency for men's sports . With that in mind, why do a couple of neighborhood clubs try and have kiddos travel cross country at full fare, have games cancelled that are in fact meaningless,and to top it off the competition resembles our local club fare in Oregon? What are they developing a club's pocketbook? or just more Manchurian Candidates. I say the succeeded on both fronts, it's awesome..

Comment

What are the consequences of playing HS soccer instead of GDA?
                  For Girls in Oregon they realize how bad they really are and serve as fodder to one HS that has more club players than their recreational team, it's a great time for sure.

Torn ACL
                  Concussions
                  Contusions
                  Wrecked ankles
                  Social Cliques
                  Hazing (if caught)
                  Practice Taking throw ins
                  GK takes hundreds of Goal Kicks
                  +
                  Senior Night!

Comment

For Girls in Oregon they realize how bad they really are and serve as fodder to one HS that has more club players than their recreational team, it's a great time for sure.

Torn ACL
                    Concussions
                    Contusions
                    Wrecked ankles
                    Social Cliques
                    Hazing (if caught)
                    Practice Taking throw ins
                    GK takes hundreds of Goal Kicks
                    +
                    Senior Night!
                    The injuries are going to happen whether you play high school or just club. The injuries will continue to happen when you go on to play college.

Social cliques are going to happen everywhere as well.

Hazing is unnecessary, but I am guessing it is just as likely going to happen in college as in high school. It may happen if you join a fraternity or sorority and it may happen if you end up joining the Army.

Are you advocating to play for the Thorns instead of HS Soccer?

The quality of HS is all relative to where you go to HS.

The quality is not bad for the top 10 team. Regardless you are still limited in your choices if you don't want to play HS and want to train or play in the Fall.

Comment

That seems misguided. Why do you play soccer?

Comment

Thorns is a terrible option.

Comment

Every girl in Oregon HS, that is remotely interested in playing in college (soccer) has a great chance of doing it. Title IX has created this bizarre landscape just for them with a cheap sport that formula's out the equivalency for men's sports . With that in mind, why do a couple of neighborhood clubs try and have kiddos travel cross country at full fare, have games cancelled that are in fact meaningless,and to top it off the competition resembles our local club fare in Oregon? What are they developing a club's pocketbook? or just more Manchurian Candidates. I say the succeeded on both fronts, it's awesome..
                          You obviously have not been to a DA or ECNL showcase.

If you haven't been to an event then how can you make the comparison between that level of competition vs. our local club fare in Oregon.

I can assure you it is quite different.

DA and ECNL camp can debate all day long about which is better, but they are both better than local options.

Is it worth the money? It is for you to decide.

Comment

Thorns is a terrible option.
                            Thorns is a good option if you don't want to play HS soccer and really don't like ECNL or any of the local option.

If you don't want to play HS soccer than why is the Thorns a bad option? If you go to Franklin HS or Parkrose and don't want to play HS soccer anyways then why are the Thorns a bad option?

Same argument goes for the kids who want to play HS soccer. What are the consequences (as previous poster made) with playing HS soccer? Big deal if they don't play DA. It does not change anything.

Comment

We should vote every day and have an honor roll of the dumbest posts.

Comment

It is almost as important as flying all the way to Utah to lose 3-1 and 4-0.

Sounds like you are all about development.

What are the end goals for your development? US Soccer WNT? I heard there are about 4 girls at Thorns Academy that have a legitimate chance.

Lots of local club kiddos who play HS soccer and will get an opportunity to play college soccer.
                                You heard wrong.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X