X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Local clubs with non-premier teams who are NOT part of this league:

* All the local TAs (Westside, WT FC, Eastside)
    * PCU
    * Local Latino clubs (LAFC/IFC, Cuervos)
    * Southside
    * FC West
    * WUSC (though I could see them joining)
    * SESC
    * OCSC
    * Thelo
    * LYS
    * Aloha
    * FCSC
    * Pacific
    * Foothills

And I'm sure I've missed a few more. And that excludes anything south of Wilsonville.

But I'm all for the idea that non-premier teams shouldn't be travelling--at least no trips that require an overnight stay. There might need to be exceptions for far-flung rural areas--Basin, RVT, BFCT, GPY, and other teams outside the Willamette Valley will probably need to travel to find a game against anything better than rec-level competition, but no reason for a WT Mundial team to drive to Eugene.

In premier, where we have one statewide league (possibly with two divisions, though with the DAs out of the picture, maybe one single Premier division makes more sense at some ages), travel still is to be expect--which is reasonable, as there are fewer of those teams. As you go up the pyramid, it gets narrower.

Unlike OPL, which seemed to be about forking the entirity of Oregon youth soccer as part of a power play (and which did it tremendous damage, leading to the situation we have now where the Timbers had OYSA over a barrel), a regional non-premier league doesn't bother me much, at all.
    Added Foothills to above. How many of these 20+ clubs not in this new league are more than 30 miles from LOSC? So the drive out to Clackamas to play Cuervos or IFC is detrimental to the Lake Oswego kids, huh? Not "local" enough for ya? This new league appears to be divisive both racially and socioeconomically.

Comment

Added Foothills to above. How many of these 20+ clubs not in this new league are more than 30 miles from LOSC? So the drive out to Clackamas to play Cuervos or IFC is detrimental to the Lake Oswego kids, huh? Not "local" enough for ya? This new league appears to be divisive both racially and socioeconomically.
      Do you know if those teams were invited and decided to say no? I have no dog in this fight, but you are pretty quick to jump to conclusions. Do you have an agenda?

Comment

Utter nonsense. Latin clubs are playing in the indy league.

Alliance clubs will simply not do anything that upsets the Timbers; I know for sure that an alliance club was invited to this inaugural season of the indy league - answer back (paraphrased) "agree Timbers shouldn't be running leagues, but agreement with Adidas will not allow us to join."

Found the answer strange, but it is what it is.

Comment

Why not just put those teams back in pysa with volunteer parent coaches? Rec and Division 2 OYSA are one in the same.
          Most would argue that TA Premier and rec are one and the same.

Comment

Local clubs with non-premier teams who are NOT part of this league:

* All the local TAs (Westside, WT FC, Eastside)
            * PCU
            * Local Latino clubs (LAFC/IFC, Cuervos)
            * Southside
            * FC West
            * WUSC (though I could see them joining)
            * SESC
            * OCSC
            * Thelo
            * LYS
            * Aloha
            * FCSC
            * Pacific

And I'm sure I've missed a few more. And that excludes anything south of Wilsonville.

But I'm all for the idea that non-premier teams shouldn't be travelling--at least no trips that require an overnight stay. There might need to be exceptions for far-flung rural areas--Basin, RVT, BFCT, GPY, and other teams outside the Willamette Valley will probably need to travel to find a game against anything better than rec-level competition, but no reason for a WT Mundial team to drive to Eugene.

In premier, where we have one statewide league (possibly with two divisions, though with the DAs out of the picture, maybe one single Premier division makes more sense at some ages), travel still is to be expect--which is reasonable, as there are fewer of those teams. As you go up the pyramid, it gets narrower.

Unlike OPL, which seemed to be about forking the entirity of Oregon youth soccer as part of a power play (and which did it tremendous damage, leading to the situation we have now where the Timbers had OYSA over a barrel), a regional non-premier league doesn't bother me much, at all.
            Word is that the Washington clubs are going to start the old District 5 league back up for their non-Premier teams. Between the 3 clubs, you'll typically have 5-6 teams in each age group that aren't Premier level. Why travel across the river for Division 1/2 soccer?

Comment

Is this for Nike clubs only?
              By saying kids playing at lower levels shouldn't have to travel..what is the max travel distance in this new league? Twenty Miles (Madison HS to Liberty HS)?

Comment

Do you know if those teams were invited and decided to say no?
                Not all local clubs were invited to join

Comment

Utter nonsense. Latin clubs are playing in the indy league.

Alliance clubs will simply not do anything that upsets the Timbers; I know for sure that an alliance club was invited to this inaugural season of the indy league - answer back (paraphrased) "agree Timbers shouldn't be running leagues, but agreement with Adidas will not allow us to join."

Found the answer strange, but it is what it is.
                  Can anyone shed light on the Adidas agreement comment?

Comment

That's because the ones that were don't want to share the $$ with them! This looks like a money grab for field funds for white upper class clubs.

Comment

It is a startup - outreach the 1st year is hard.

Will say it is very hard to work with alliance clubs in these discussions, because you have to work on the assumption that in the end they will never do anything to tick off providence park and whatever you tell them is going to get forwarded there.

If a club wants to participate they will be welcomed with open arms.

Comment

It is a startup - outreach the 1st year is hard.

Will say it is very hard to work with alliance clubs in these discussions, because you have to work on the assumption that in the end they will never do anything to tick off providence park and whatever you tell them is going to get forwarded there.

If a club wants to participate they will be welcomed with open arms.
                        It's not like "Providence Park" isn't aware of this.

Interestingly enough--the draft fall league assignments went out to TMs this morning, and some of the teams listed in the CIL are also listed in OYSA fall league. Is this league actually going to happen, or is it something that remains aspirational at this point? And if the former, are the relevant clubs going to give PTT notice that they aren't playing in OYSA, or what?

Would suck for the kids involved if this league DOESN'T happen, but the teams miss the OYSA bus.

Comment

Can anyone shed light on the Adidas agreement comment?
                          Don't know for sure, but Adidas may view sponsorship agreement with PTFC and TA clubs as a package deal--supporting the brand means playing in the Adidas-branded league. (OYSA, after all, is an Adidas partner).

The interesting thing on the girls'/women's side, of course, is that while Adidas sponsors the Timbers (and MLS), Nike sponsors the Thorns and NWSL.

Oh well... take the money of shoe companies, and you're tied to their shoelaces.

Comment

Since the kids are only playing one game a weekend, how long is the season? How many games total? I imagine this is going to be far cheaper for families than OYSA?

Comment

It's not like "Providence Park" isn't aware of this.

Interestingly enough--the draft fall league assignments went out to TMs this morning, and some of the teams listed in the CIL are also listed in OYSA fall league. Is this league actually going to happen, or is it something that remains aspirational at this point? And if the former, are the relevant clubs going to give PTT notice that they aren't playing in OYSA, or what?

Would suck for the kids involved if this league DOESN'T happen, but the teams miss the OYSA bus.
                              Saw that too. A quick check with one of the clubs verified that those teams are playing in the CIL, not OYSA. What OYSA released this morning are just preliminary brackets. They will change radically by Friday.

Comment

Clbus involved are the usual suspects:

LOSC
                                FC Portland
                                BSD
                                HSC
                                NEU
                                THUSC

I imagine TA clubs will not be joining this (and may have contractual obligations to put their non-DA teams in OYSA). Non-metro clubs aren't being allowed in. And there's plenty of otherwise eligible clubs who compete in non-premier (i.e. excluding ADF) who aren't on the list yet, including all the Crossfire clubs other than LOSC; PCU, LYS, Southside, many of the Southeast clubs, and the Vancouver clubs (who might not be eligible either).

The main value propositions for this seem to be:

* Avoiding travel
                                * Not giving any money to Peregrine Sports.

No word as to what the fees for this league will be, or whether playing conditions (referees per match, other technical matters) will differ from OYSA.
                                Curious to know if this new league is using the funds from the previous OPL organization?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X