Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I wonder how it compared to last year. Supposedly college coaches weren't blown away last year or with how GDA is going thus far. They certainly know there's plenty of talent to be found elsewhere. Having several top clubs pull out of GDA isn't going to help either. Reports from CASL and Disney were that coach attendance was better than last year.
    If the list I found is accurate, and the one above is accurate, looks like more than 2X the colleges represented this year vs. last.

Comment

235 isn't that many, but truthfully many never pre-register and just show up just as they do with ECNL. Other top showcases easily get 150+ programs each.

Comment

235 isn't that many, but truthfully many never pre-register and just show up just as they do with ECNL. Other top showcases easily get 150+ programs each.
        Understood. Also understood 235 is over 50%+ more than 150.

I don't know the answer, but is there a source that shows how that compares to others?

Comment

Understood. Also understood 235 is over 50%+ more than 150.

I don't know the answer, but is there a source that shows how that compares to others?
          This was ECNL nationals list from last spring, about 3 weeks prior to the event so the final tally would be higher

https://admin.totalglobalsports.com/...g.aspx?eid=737

Comment

This was ECNL nationals list from last spring, about 3 weeks prior to the event so the final tally would be higher

OK thank you; I may have miscounted but came to about 175-ish?

I would be curious to see how the apples to apples compares after the 2018-2019 season ends (i.e. n ot comparing a winter DA showcase from 2018 to a ECNL showcase from last year).

Comment

Girls DA

Give me a break.
              Those coaches registered are looking at the players who reached out to them NOT everyone. So many many players from Northeast dont have the UCLA coach looking at them and may have five coaches slightly more watching their game. If they play a team from another area of US then maybe a few more may attend. Dont kid yourself that the so called 235 coaches will see your little princess.

Comment

Break Given

Give me a break.
                Those coaches registered are looking at the players who reached out to them NOT everyone. So many many players from Northeast dont have the UCLA coach looking at them and may have five coaches slightly more watching their game. If they play a team from another area of US then maybe a few more may attend. Dont kid yourself that the so called 235 coaches will see your little princess.
                I believe the question was around which program/league/showcase, whatever one calls it attracts more college coaches. I didn't see any other qualifier as to their intent on being there. The question sprang from which had higher exposure only.

What is your point trying to prove?

Comment

Give me a break.
                  Bitter much? How many college coaches watching your daughters select team this spring?

Comment

Bitter much? How many college coaches watching your daughters select team this spring?
                    not the poster but he's 100% accurate. Your kid will not magically be discovered at a showcase unless she's a unicorn spotted by a coach who came to watch another player. Players have to put in the work before events to drum up interest. Coaches aren't there window shopping. Each coach has a list that is prioritized by who they want to make sure they see first. If you're at the bottom of their list they might not even make it to see you. Many won't even get on the list to begin with but they'll be sure to send you a camp invite!

Comment

More importantly, pick the top 20 teams in D1 and see where those coaches shop. Find as many as you can on each list.

Comment

More importantly, pick the top 20 teams in D1 and see where those coaches shop. Find as many as you can on each list.
                        There's really no one in the state who's going to land at a top 20 D1 program.

Comment

There's really no one in the state who's going to land at a top 20 D1 program.
                          Not true, however many factors go into committing to a school and not everyone who is good enough and being recruited to be in top 30 or so want that for their college career. Some choose the best school they can based on the institution’s academic ranking. Also being on the roster of a top program doesn’t mean you will play so that’s a factor, if you want to be a starter early on you will choose a lower ranked program.

D1 scholarships are fewer and farther between than people realize. You need to be on a top team (ECNL, DA) and be an impact player, so top 5 on the team. Those are the only kids getting D1 money. Average is 25% and any more is reserved for top 2 on a team.

Comment

Not true, however many factors go into committing to a school and not everyone who is good enough and being recruited to be in top 30 or so want that for their college career. Some choose the best school they can based on the institution’s academic ranking. Also being on the roster of a top program doesn’t mean you will play so that’s a factor, if you want to be a starter early on you will choose a lower ranked program.

D1 scholarships are fewer and farther between than people realize. You need to be on a top team (ECNL, DA) and be an impact player, so top 5 on the team. Those are the only kids getting D1 money. Average is 25% and any more is reserved for top 2 on a team.
                            Fully funded programs are 9.9 scholarships for men, 14 for women. Your 25% is correct for men - by the time a coach gives a few 75% or more rides to super studs or a star GK plus a few internationals there isn't much left to divvy up. Women, other hand have more scholarships per team to divide up and much fewer international players taking scholarships. As a woman if you're getting 25% or less the coach isn't really into you. 40-60% is the midrange.

You first paragraph is true - ALWAY pick the school first. Soccer could go away overnight so love teh school. PT is never guaranteed but if you target well you're more likely to see the field. If you're on the fringe you may not last past year 1

Comment

Fully funded programs are 9.9 scholarships for men, 14 for women. Your 25% is correct for men - by the time a coach gives a few 75% or more rides to super studs or a star GK plus a few internationals there isn't much left to divvy up. Women, other hand have more scholarships per team to divide up and much fewer international players taking scholarships. As a woman if you're getting 25% or less the coach isn't really into you. 40-60% is the midrange.

You first paragraph is true - ALWAY pick the school first. Soccer could go away overnight so love teh school. PT is never guaranteed but if you target well you're more likely to see the field. If you're on the fringe you may not last past year 1
                              I disagree. Part of what you are saying is true but you are making it sound like 40-60% D1 scholarships for girls is par for the course. No they are not. We are in MA and I personally know about a dozen juniors and seniors right now that are committed to D1 schools and the average is about 30%. I know three who are in 50-70% range (average over 4 years as gradation from low to high is common) and they are top class. 75% all the way through or more is reserved for NT players. If the coach “isn’t that into you” you are getting nothing.

Comment

This is correct - my daughter plays for a DI program in MA and only 5 of the 23 on the roster are on full scholarships, while my daughter and 10 others are receiving partial scholarship money (my daughter receives just over 50%). It's the norm for a DI school to have players paying at least half. So even after you spend all of the money and travel, you can get a "scholarship" but still write a tuition check as I do for her to play DI.

My nephew pays to play basketball at a DII school as well, similar structure in hoop too. He is on a partial with the hopes that next year as a senior he might receive a full scholarship with 4 current seniors graduating and he's been on a partial scholarship for 3 years. He is typically their 6th or 7th man - second sub.

Just because a school makes an offer - it does not mean that they are giving you full money.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X