Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Speaking of Wheaton, do you think your kid might have done well there?
    Yes...

Comment

So much hot air, hardly any wattage. If you only knew a fraction of what you rant about you might actually be able to power a very small flashlight.
      Hey, I've been through it with my kid. My kid has had a wonderful college experience, both athletically and academically. (Can you say that about yours?) I know what we went through. I know what others went through. The teammate who was promised by Dartmouth to be on"on the list" who was rejected early and scrambled at the last minute to get a NESCAC admission. Yes, our universe was not the ACC or PAC 12, but there were plenty of Ivy and Patriot league coaches poking around my kid and teammates.

I do not pretend to know what it is to have a national level kid. That is pretty unusual. But, I think the situation of having a pretty good player coupled with pretty strong academics is not that unusual. There are probably a lot more of kids similar to mine than similar to yours in the soccer scene in Mass. (Although the parent of every 10 year old ma thin they have the second coming...) Although your advice may be fine for your kid, it stinks for mine and for most to the kids and parents i know who are in similar situations. Academics are important, but so is soccer. Soccer can be the edge to get into a school. the ability to play for the team may be a crucial factor to the kid in deciding whether to apply to a school. It can vary.

Yes, my kid would chose NYU or Johns Hopkins over BC or BU.

Comment

I am confused, when a Stanford or a Duke commit a freshman do they have SAT scores yet or don't they actually matter?
        How much do you think a freshman commit really means?

Comment

Hey, I've been through it with my kid. My kid has had a wonderful college experience, both athletically and academically. (Can you say that about yours?) I know what we went through. I know what others went through. The teammate who was promised by Dartmouth to be on"on the list" who was rejected early and scrambled at the last minute to get a NESCAC admission. Yes, our universe was not the ACC or PAC 12, but there were plenty of Ivy and Patriot league coaches poking around my kid and teammates.

I do not pretend to know what it is to have a national level kid. That is pretty unusual. But, I think the situation of having a pretty good player coupled with pretty strong academics is not that unusual. There are probably a lot more of kids similar to mine than similar to yours in the soccer scene in Mass. (Although the parent of every 10 year old ma thin they have the second coming...) Although your advice may be fine for your kid, it stinks for mine and for most to the kids and parents i know who are in similar situations. Academics are important, but so is soccer. Soccer can be the edge to get into a school. the ability to play for the team may be a crucial factor to the kid in deciding whether to apply to a school. It can vary.

Fantastic post. Perfect.

Comment

Fantastic post. Perfect.
            Thanks, but too many typos. Also, don't praise me otherwise you know who will think i am you.

Comment

Duke coming up big again. Ah, we'll just blame everything on Durham being too black.

http://news.yahoo.com/noose-found-ha...144010019.html

Comment

I think this post just drives home yet again the fact that there is no one correct path for a young man or woman playing soccer. Very, very few will have an opportunity to play on a national team or on a professional level and you need to look long term and make good decisions that balance athletics and academics. Glad it worked out for you.

Comment

I think this post just drives home yet again the fact that there is no one correct path for a young man or woman playing soccer. Very, very few will have an opportunity to play on a national team or on a professional level and you need to look long term and make good decisions that balance athletics and academics. Glad it worked out for you.
                  And that's what some in this discussion refuse to accept - that each situation is unique and different to that individual player, their interests, ambitions, etc. They are obsessed and feel the need to impart their wisdom on the rest of us (whether it's desired or not), as well as trash decisions made by 18 year olds.

Comment

And that's what some in this discussion refuse to accept - that each situation is unique and different to that individual player, their interests, ambitions, etc. They are obsessed and feel the need to impart their wisdom on the rest of us (whether it's desired or not), as well as trash decisions made by 18 year olds.
                    10 years you have been talking about the outliers to justify your personal decisions. Don't you think everyone's gotten it by now? More important, don't you realize that that you only speak for a very small minority?

Comment

Is there a single national level player in MA right now other than the two sisters?

Comment

How much do you think a freshman commit really means?
                        Freshman commit means a freshman has agreed (for some inexplicable reason) to limit themselves to a single school at the age of 14. It is a pure give-away to the college coach and means that the parents do not understand options and option value. You get nothing in return for something.

Comment

Is there a single national level player in MA right now other than the two sisters?
                          SM from BC is in the mix as well.

Comment

10 years you have been talking about the outliers to justify your personal decisions. Don't you think everyone's gotten it by now? More important, don't you realize that that you only speak for a very small minority?
                            Paranoia runs deep on TS. I am none of the usual suspects. Choose to believe that or not.

Comment

Freshman commit means a freshman has agreed (for some inexplicable reason) to limit themselves to a single school at the age of 14. It is a pure give-away to the college coach and means that the parents do not understand options and option value. You get nothing in return for something.
                              Have to wonder who is driving the ship on those super-early commits. Really doubtful it's the player. Yes coaches get something out of it ("locking in" talent) but I'm sure they'd rather be evaluating older players (more developed physically and mentally, better read on academics, kids who have a better idea of what they want in a school). Uptight parents caught in a hamster wheel? Definitely. If their player is that good they will find them a good place. "Just say no" lol! I know it's still a small number of players but that's how trends start - a handful of examples then suddenly everyone wants the same thing. My guess is more of it are parents who are insecure about their kids abilities and opportunities, and like you said don't fully understand what their options are.

Comment

oh, sir, weren't you just lecturing us a moment ago on how individuals should get to make their own decisions and how everyone should respect them? Guess you are like a lot here and can only see things one way.

Not saying that early commitments are the greatest thing since sliced bread nor that there aren't other things to take into consideration but when a Stanford or a Duke offers admission and a scholarship how many other options do you really need to explore. Should they wait around for an Ivy to offer a commitment during the summer between their Junior and Senior year that may or may not be offered? Should they hold out so they can drop down both the soccer rankings AND the academic rankings so that they can go to a Patriot League school? Or should they just skip the money altogether and go right to a NESCAC?

BTW there are reportedly at least 2 kids from Mass in the 2016 & 2017 recruiting classes sitting with commitments to one of these schools.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X