• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Yes.
    By spring of 2016 you will have:

BU12, BU14, BU16 and BU18 Academy
    GU14, GU16 and GU18 Academy

all MLS and NWSL teams will have these in place by 2016....some MLS/NWSL will be a year ahead of the game and start this summer
    So here's a real question, please no ECNL blah blah blah...does anyone know how the Academy will work for those younger ages on a week to week basis? If the player lives in PDX, that's one thing, but the travel burden is pretty severe if you're from somewhere else. Its not like we all want to send our kids to live with some random family for a U14 program.

Comment

So here's a real question, please no ECNL blah blah blah...does anyone know how the Academy will work for those younger ages on a week to week basis? If the player lives in PDX, that's one thing, but the travel burden is pretty severe if you're from somewhere else. Its not like we all want to send our kids to live with some random family for a U14 program.
      I suspect the academy program will be just like a club program whereby they train 3-4 times a week here in Portland. Training will be at the stadium most likely and it will not take place in the fall due to HS, although they will likely training in the fall for U14s. I really don't see the obligations being any different than for ECNL or any other club. I know that our old club team had players from Bend on it and they made practice when they could. I'm sure ECNL teams have players from other parts of the state and work out with the coach how they will train. I don't think the Academy will be any different. The fact is, living outside of Portland adds extra challenges, regardless of the league or program. Personally, I don't know how some families and players manage it. It can't be easy.

Comment

I suspect the academy program will be just like a club program whereby they train 3-4 times a week here in Portland. Training will be at the stadium most likely and it will not take place in the fall due to HS, although they will likely training in the fall for U14s. I really don't see the obligations being any different than for ECNL or any other club. I know that our old club team had players from Bend on it and they made practice when they could. I'm sure ECNL teams have players from other parts of the state and work out with the coach how they will train. I don't think the Academy will be any different. The fact is, living outside of Portland adds extra challenges, regardless of the league or program. Personally, I don't know how some families and players manage it. It can't be easy.
        If the girls academy is the same as the boys they aren't allowed to play high school soccer.

Comment

Thanks MLS

If the girls academy is the same as the boys they aren't allowed to play high school soccer.
          I have it on good authority that their will not be a thorns academy next year. You can thank the MLS mandate for that.

Comment

What MLS mandate & why does that mean no Thorns Academy?

Comment

completely bogus. The girls Academy is expanding next year in Oregon.

Comment

What MLS mandate & why does that mean no Thorns Academy?
                He doesn't know what he is talking about. No MLS mandate. But the Timbers will expand the academy next year for the boys, so maybe their will not be funding for the girls. Time will tell.

Comment

However they aren't. The girls can play HS soccer. Thanks for playing however.

Comment

I have it on good authority that their will not be a thorns academy next year. You can thank the MLS mandate for that.
                    Are you enjoying your nice fishing expedition?

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1504678]However they aren't. The girls can play HS soccer. Thanks for playing however.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the mature response. I believe "if" would be a clue that I did not know the answer. But thought it may be important "if" the girls program followed the boys program model.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1504697]
                        However they aren't. The girls can play HS soccer. Thanks for playing however.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the mature response. I believe "if" would be a clue that I did not know the answer. But thought it may be important "if" the girls program followed the boys program model.
                        My dd plays on a very good team that has routinely played and played well out of state as well as having many in state championships. She will not be trying out for the thorns. Why? They already play OYSA. They already play FWRL and have done better then the thorns. They enter into out of state tourneys and don't sign up for the silver division. And no we are not doing ECNL either. Not sure why they would want to expand it. I guess to compete with the ECNL clubs.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1504697]
                          However they aren't. The girls can play HS soccer. Thanks for playing however.[/QUOTE

The programs are totally different.

The boy's program is almost free to the boys, mandated by MLS, and play a DA schedule.

The girl's program cost $3K to $4K to the girls and they play in a local league and some regular showcases.

No HS soccer for the boys. The girls can still play HS soccer.

Comment

They truly want to develop the boys' side. They play lip service to the girls to keep their parents wallets open and lots of little Suzies playing soccer to help fund the boys.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1504760]

My dd plays on a very good team that has routinely played and played well out of state as well as having many in state championships. She will not be trying out for the thorns. Why? They already play OYSA. They already play FWRL and have done better then the thorns. They enter into out of state tourneys and don't sign up for the silver division. And no we are not doing ECNL either. Not sure why they would want to expand it. I guess to compete with the ECNL clubs.
                              Because parents like you don't understand.....you are the problem with sports .
                              You want your kid to compete before they even know how to play.....you are ***** backwards

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1504785]

Because parents like you don't understand.....you are the problem with sports .
                                You want your kid to compete before they even know how to play.....you are ***** backwards
                                You must have just read a book on athlete development and now think you are the expert??

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X