Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Sue Ryan, former Women's Head Coach at Stonybrook, had the greatest quote of all time to describe the college soccer experience. "You had better love soccer more than anything else in your life because college soccer will be the hardest full-time job for a part-time salary that you will ever learn to hate."
    D1 ball isn't "full-time" but is a giant time suck. One advantage with D1 is athletes get tremendous academic support and accommodations. However, many programs bend the rules the number of hours you're supposed to be doing team related activities and it can put more strain on your academics.

Many coaches will tell you the college athletic experience is comprised of three things - sports, school, a social life - but you can only chose two. Yes you will have a social life but it's going to be primarily with your team, and it won't be a typical college experience.

Comment

Children Need Down Time

D1 ball isn't "full-time" but is a giant time suck. One advantage with D1 is athletes get tremendous academic support and accommodations. However, many programs bend the rules the number of hours you're supposed to be doing team related activities and it can put more strain on your academics.

Many coaches will tell you the college athletic experience is comprised of three things - sports, school, a social life - but you can only chose two. Yes you will have a social life but it's going to be primarily with your team, and it won't be a typical college experience.
      playing sports in college is not typical...that is why you are called a "student athlete" you dumb@ss! The Term "Typical" is relative.

and why is this topic on this thread? college kids are not children anymore you dumb@ss!

Comment

That's the late Trifecta right there. Hopefully, you boxed it.

I heard a bunch of different views, some anecdotal, some based on fact. From a straight athletic programming point of view, you can, and should, train all year round. I think what gets lost and then creates a problem is not controlling all the other variables that affect this. Your child can get injured in multiple ways. Can poor diet and lack of rest affect you biomechanically? Does poor coaching lead to overuse issues in the human movement system? Does your child's coach have an annual micro and macro training program that incorporates periodization?

Responsible clubs that train year-round do not play or train with the same intensity year-round. Even within the week, a club could make the first session after a match a light day.

Needless to say, do what you want with your kid but don't rationalize or justify your decision when it is totally contrary to how the majority of high-level athletes train.

For whatever your reason, you are advocating for less training.

Comment

never heard of him...probably over rated or perhaps he is your cousin or secrete lover or something?
          Hey there, Larry.

Comment

Children Need Down Time

Hey there, Larry.
            not larry, its me. please don't call me larry. call me anything you want, anything. Just don't call me larry. (no reason to hit anyone below the belt).

Comment

ALENT beats hard work any day.....

an average player who works hard beats a lazy very talented player every time...

Comment

What club any club, ECNL or DA have a schedule that lasts longer than 10 months?

Most clubs run essentially through school calendar year. Late August to June.

Comment

What club any club, ECNL or DA have a schedule that lasts longer than 10 months?

ECNL isn't 10 months; clubs all but shut down when any state is in their high school season (which varies around the country). DA/MLS promises 10 but many scale way back December into February. Parents of course can find places for their kids to play or train all year long if they want, but it isn't necessary or recommended.

Comment

Children Need Down Time

ALENT beats hard work any day.....

an average player who works hard beats a lazy very talented player every time...
                    i disagree just a little bit. there are levels to laziness just as much as there are levels to talent.

"To think in absolution is a path to the dark side" Yoda

Comment

GDA was supposed to be 12 months, right?

Many clubs offer a "summer select" option to play in some of the summer tournaments. The regular leagues take the summer off because they know that a lot of players would not want to commit to a full 12 months and offer these summer select options for the players who do.

Comment

clubs with indoor facilities go 10 months straight. They might slow down meaning going from 3x a week training to 2x a week but they don't stop.

Comment

clubs with indoor facilities go 10 months straight. They might slow down meaning going from 3x a week training to 2x a week but they don't stop.
                          Son and daughter play for SUSA and both are under 14. Their program is 11 months out of the year. They get a break for a week or so in November, no real break in December because of the SUSA sponsored tournaments right after Xmas. They then get a break mid June to maybe the first week of July. I would say this is an 11 month commitment.

Both children enjoy the sport but I do think downtime is imperative for their mind and body. They also play other sports which for some misguided reason both their SUSA coaches are against. Wife and I can care less what SUSA thinks or wants we want our children to do what makes them happy and also know the physical benefits of playing completely different sports.

Comment

Children Need Down Time

Son and daughter play for SUSA and both are under 14. Their program is 11 months out of the year. They get a break for a week or so in November, no real break in December because of the SUSA sponsored tournaments right after Xmas. They then get a break mid June to maybe the first week of July. I would say this is an 11 month commitment.

Both children enjoy the sport but I do think downtime is imperative for their mind and body. They also play other sports which for some misguided reason both their SUSA coaches are against. Wife and I can care less what SUSA thinks or wants we want our children to do what makes them happy and also know the physical benefits of playing completely different sports.
                            agreed...for every messi or ronaldo someone pulls out of their @ss as an example there are 100s of Pros that played additional sports and or picked up soccer later.

Comment

Keep up the good fight. Too many parents cave to clubs pushing kids to prioritize. It may mean some lost PT and snide remarks but who cares. Do what's best for your kids and your family.

Comment

Let the kid decide. Great players are made because they love the game and can’t get enough. If your kid isn’t asking for it don’t offer it. They are communicating with you but you are not listening to them. You are listening to the other competitive parents and coaches that get paid.
                                It’s simple. Let them tell you. If not they will resent you and the game.
                                I am coaching a kid right now who is 6. He can’t get enough. He watches every game that’s on and plays at least two hours a day. With a wall, with a sibling with his parents, with anyone around. He makes up his own games with a ball and restrictions. I have never seen anything like it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X