Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Yes, it’s very unfortunate that you need to register for activity because it doesn’t present itself organically anymore. Responsible trainers should be adhering to some sort of periodization schedule, it taught in all their licensing course. If they are not, maybe you are not in the right program.
    Completely happy with D’s club and trainer, and very happy for her to have the summer spent away from soccer to enjoy other activities (athletic or otherwise) and get a good mental break from the intensity of competitive training and games.

Comment

One of my daughters ex-teammates who was a starter for the u21 WNT was recently diagnosed with a heart condition that requires that she quit soccer, completely. How about them apples...??????

Comment

I am a proponent of physical activity 12 months a year. I think the NFL got it right with their PLAY 60 initiative. With less and less kids out and about in the parks and streets actually engaging in athletic activity, most must find it through organized activity.

In short, I find it important for kids under 14 to train and play 12 months out of the year.
        The biggest injury factor especially for girls is repetition. The over use of using the same body movements over a long period of time leads to wear and tear. The two biggest are the knees and hip injuries with the worst being hip tears that require surgery. When we are told that athletes should be training year round it means cross training using all your muscles or participating in other sports other than soccer which require different movement. Once girls have reached puberty they really have to listen to their bodies and be aware of muscle/ligament fatigue that will eventually lead to serious problems.

Comment

One of my daughters ex-teammates who was a starter for the u21 WNT was recently diagnosed with a heart condition that requires that she quit soccer, completely. How about them apples...??????
          Normally high level athletes are required/requested to undergo cardio examines for college. She's very lucky she didn't end up dead like you sometimes hear about healthy HS and college athletes keeling over. Still, it has nothing to do with her activity but congenital bad luck

Comment

The biggest injury factor especially for girls is repetition. The over use of using the same body movements over a long period of time leads to wear and tear. The two biggest are the knees and hip injuries with the worst being hip tears that require surgery. When we are told that athletes should be training year round it means cross training using all your muscles or participating in other sports other than soccer which require different movement. Once girls have reached puberty they really have to listen to their bodies and be aware of muscle/ligament fatigue that will eventually lead to serious problems.
            and many coaches don't believe in that "listen to your body philosophy"

Comment

Let’s not be naive, injuries are an unfortunate part of the game. Let’s not pretend that across all top-tier sports lies a landscape littered with injured athletes. Everyone is working hard to stay, or get back to, being “healthy.” If we could poll all those top-tier athletes, I’d say the large majority of them were in that high-risk, high-volume training group. Good luck if you think you can beat the system and get more with less

I don’t like this insistence that our players should not play year round. It’s contrary to us building a soccer culture in this country similar to where soccer is world-class.

WWMD (What would Messi Do) Messi started training with his Father/Coach at five. How many days you think he missed?

Comment

Let’s not be naive, injuries are an unfortunate part of the game. Let’s not pretend that across all top-tier sports lies a landscape littered with injured athletes. Everyone is working hard to stay, or get back to, being “healthy.” If we could poll all those top-tier athletes, I’d say the large majority of them were in that high-risk, high-volume training group. Good luck if you think you can beat the system and get more with less

I don’t like this insistence that our players should not play year round. It’s contrary to us building a soccer culture in this country similar to where soccer is world-class.

WWMD (What would Messi Do) Messi started training with his Father/Coach at five. How many days you think he missed?
                Clueless statement. Children just like adults should not play the same sport competitively 10-11 months out of the year.

That is what the original poster was asking. this hold even truer for girls over boys. Bringing up one of the best players this world will ever see is not remotely relevant.

Children need downtime from the SAME sport. They can continue with being athletic and healthy doing OTHER activities. Its not even debatable with doctors but with youth sport parents like yourself it is. Go figure! Is one going to take the advise of doctors or a very bias youth sport parent?

Comment

Do you think Messi is a great player because he trained and played 12 months of the year as a kid? Or was he naturally talented and could have still become the great player he is if he stopped formal training for 2 months out of a year?

Comment

Children Need Down Time

Do you think Messi is a great player because he trained and played 12 months of the year as a kid? Or was he naturally talented and could have still become the great player he is if he stopped formal training for 2 months out of a year?
                    Answer is EASY and here it is: "Hard work always beats talent when talent fails to work hard"

now go spill your negativity elsewhere. you were a 3rd string jv kid at best. its not anyones fault but your own. you get what you earn.

Comment

Yes, Leo Messi is great because he DID play damn near every day since he was five. ITS NOT A QUESTION OR DEBATABLE BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT HE DID. Leo Messi and 99% of Europe and South America follow that prescription.

Comment

Children Need Down Time

Yes, Leo Messi is great because he DID play damn near every day since he was five. ITS NOT A QUESTION OR DEBATABLE BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT HE DID. Leo Messi and 99% of Europe and South America follow that prescription.
                        even if leo take 1 day off of training a week (which is believable and I think nobody would argue). that pretty much equals 2 months off a year so HA!!!!!!!!

Comment

Sue Ryan, former Women's Head Coach at Stonybrook, had the greatest quote of all time to describe the college soccer experience. "You had better love soccer more than anything else in your life because college soccer will be the hardest full-time job for a part-time salary that you will ever learn to hate."

Comment

This is what the referee posted:

Maybe to you it would make sense. But this is not exactly the place for “targeted marketing” to recruit referees. Unless your target market would be anonymous trolls (not you) that spend tons of money on their children and expect the next Messi.

I myself have asked for anyone out there to be a referee. Not one has answered the call.

My reply to him:

LIRef77, I happen to like most of your posts and agree with most of the positions you post ...
                            Bill Binney is one of the very best referees in Long Island history. A dozen years back, you looked forward to him being assigned to your regional games. He ran the field, got the best angle possible to make his calls, and kept solid control of the sidelines. Bill loves the game and has seen it all.

Comment

Was he the only one? Everyone else took time off, and that's why Messi is the best?

Comment

Children Need Down Time

Bill Binney is one of the very best referees in Long Island history. A dozen years back, you looked forward to him being assigned to your regional games. He ran the field, got the best angle possible to make his calls, and kept solid control of the sidelines. Bill loves the game and has seen it all.
                                never heard of him...probably over rated or perhaps he is your cousin or secrete lover or something?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X