X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parents That Don't Know the Rules - Let's hear your stories

I had a good one this past weekend.

In a BU11 game after the ball went out of bounds, a split-second later two players who were going after the ball smashed into each other. I felt that one was clearly at fault, and would have called a foul if the ball was still in play, but settled for giving a verbal warning before resuming play. One parent kept screaming that a foul (not a caution) should be given despite it being a dead ball. I made the mistake of trying to explain to the parent that it was going to be a throw-in no matter since the contact happened after the ball was dead and that the only punishment I could have given was a yellow or red. However, I felt that given the age and that there was no intent or reckless enough of an action, that a verbal warning was appropriate. The parents response was to tell his teams players to smash the other teams players every time the ball went out of bounds since it wouldn't result in fouls being called. I threw the parent out for that. To the coaches credit his only concern was whether I was going to stop the clock while this all happened, not that I was kicking out one of his parents.

I get frustrated when parents start screaming for a foul when their team still has possession and clear advantage.

Comment

Yelling OFFSIDES on throw ins happens alot.

The worst though is the parent with his hand up on every pass an opposing team makes, trying to beg for offisde calls.

Comment

Sunday a foul was committed at midfield as the ref was blowing the whistle to end the game. The parents were screaming for the foul to be called despite the game being over. Not sure what they were thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Sunday a foul was committed at midfield as the ref was blowing the whistle to end the game. The parents were screaming for the foul to be called despite the game being over. Not sure what they were thinking.
          maybe for a free kick and the opportunity to score a goal (last hail mary) and win/or tie the game?

Comment

maybe for a free kick and the opportunity to score a goal (last hail mary) and win/or tie the game?
            If it were within shooting range I'd buy that. This ball was at midfield and the kids were U11. The ball wasn't making it directly in the net.

Comment

If it were within shooting range I'd buy that. This ball was at midfield and the kids were U11. The ball wasn't making it directly in the net.
              U11? my kid did it!!! i know a quite a few kids that have made that shot! not that big a deal on a kiddy field.

Comment

Shhhooooooottttt ! "Mommy, he's on a breakaway with no one around him" !

Comment

Far and away most misinterpret how a player in an offsides position is judged. They see someone past the last defender and scream "They're off" (raising their arm for good measure). No concept of where they position is when the ball is played. Honestly, most of us on the sidelines aren't 100% sure since we are all likely watching the ball, not the run. I do hope the AR is, though...

Comment

U11? my kid did it!!! i know a quite a few kids that have made that shot! not that big a deal on a kiddy field.
                    I've been coaching/reffing for 15 years and have only once seen a ball go in the net directly from a free kick at midfield of a junior sized travel field. And that kick involved a very slanted field and a lot of luck.

Either way, there is no extra time in a tournament setting. The whistle was already blown to end the game.

Comment

There is no rule that says you can't play the ball from the ground. You can't play the ball from the ground DANGEROUSLY, but then again, you can't play a ball from a standing position dangerously either.

Most parents also don't know that you can't commit an offside violation in your own half.

They don't know that your foot can be partially over the line on a throw-in.

They don't know that the semi-circle at the top of the box is not part of the box, so a keeper can't plant there on a punt, and they always scream, "then what is it there for?"

They don't know that, unless you commit a foul that would otherwise be called a red card anywhere else on the field, that you don't get a red card for a DOGSO in the box.

Who am I kidding, most don't even know what a DOGSO is.

Comment

There is no rule that says you can't play the ball from the ground. You can't play the ball from the ground DANGEROUSLY, but then again, you can't play a ball from a standing position dangerously either.

Most parents also don't know that you can't commit an offside violation in your own half.

They don't know that your foot can be partially over the line on a throw-in.

They don't know that the semi-circle at the top of the box is not part of the box, so a keeper can't plant there on a punt, and they always scream, "then what is it there for?"

They don't know that, unless you commit a foul that would otherwise be called a red card anywhere else on the field, that you don't get a red card for a DOGSO in the box.

Who am I kidding, most don't even know what a DOGSO is.
                        Please don't let be be in that group!!!!
                        I am ashamed, what is a DOGSO?

Comment

DOGSO:

A player, sent off player, substitute or substituted player who enters the field of play without the required referee's permission and interferes with play or an opponent and denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity is guilty of a sending-off offence.

Comment

Denial of an Obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity

This is invoked if a player is past the last defender and in a clear position to score, and is then fouled to prevent the goal scoring opportunity. The two most likely scenarios are the goalkeeper wiping out the attacker and a defender taking down the attacker from behind. If it's outside the box, it's an automatic red card. If it's inside the box it is a PK and a yellow card, unless the foul committed would have otherwise resulted in a red card regardless of whether there was a goal scoring opportunity or not.

Comment

Denial of an Obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity

This is invoked if a player is past the last defender and in a clear position to score, and is then fouled to prevent the goal scoring opportunity. The two most likely scenarios are the goalkeeper wiping out the attacker and a defender taking down the attacker from behind. If it's outside the box, it's an automatic red card. If it's inside the box it is a PK and a yellow card, unless the foul committed would have otherwise resulted in a red card regardless of whether there was a goal scoring opportunity or not.
                              One slight modification to this. If the foul is in the box and the player made no attempt whatsoever to play the ball, for example holding, pulling, pushing and handball, it will still be
                              a red card even though the foul was in the box. Fouls attempting to play the ball in the box are only a yellow card (in addition to the PK) where fouls attempting to play the ball outside the box are a red card because a free kick outside the box isn't considered enough punishment for the offense.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X