Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens after college?

It would seem that only a small percentage of soccer players coming out of college, join men's or women's leagues and continue to play. Is it because they are busy starting their new careers? Or could it be a burn out factor, having been playing since 11 years old. {Now even younger) It seems unfortunately, when a parent watches there kids final college game, they may very well be watching there final game period.Was the whole experience just another way to get into a college of choice?

Definitely was time to get started on a career for me. Some years later started playing in the local adult leagues for a little fun, but injury and commitments (and a general lack of true soccer fitness) get in the way.

Comment

We're still waiting for that call from Barcelona.

Comment

Originally posted by nuala o faolain View Post
        It would seem that only a small percentage of soccer players coming out of college, join men's or women's leagues and continue to play. Is it because they are busy starting their new careers? Or could it be a burn out factor, having been playing since 11 years old. {Now even younger) It seems unfortunately, when a parent watches there kids final college game, they may very well be watching there final game period.Was the whole experience just another way to get into a college of choice?
        The basic answer to your question is YES. Most parents would have no interest in watching their kid play in the local U25 or U30 indoor league. I would, however, love to see my kid play in college -- would be a thrill (for both of us) -- but there comes a time when the story has to end.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          The basic answer to your question is YES. Most parents would have no interest in watching their kid play in the local U25 or U30 indoor league. I would, however, love to see my kid play in college -- would be a thrill (for both of us) -- but there comes a time when the story has to end.
          So true.

Comment

So true.
            Is the premise of the thread asking why kids don't play soccer after college? Honestly? They aren't kids anymore, they're adults now. They have left the nest people, you're waiting on a nice husband or wife now. Grandkids are on the way. Start saving for either their college education OR club soccer fees!

Comment

Is the premise of the thread asking why kids don't play soccer after college? Honestly? They aren't kids anymore, they're adults now. They have left the nest people, you're waiting on a nice husband or wife now. Grandkids are on the way. Start saving for either their college education OR club soccer fees!
              Oh yea! Forgot about the grandkids. How long before you can bitch about the bad ref's at your grandkids games?

Comment

Originally posted by nuala o faolain View Post
                How many kids playing baseball, basketball or any other sport are still playing after college?

Comment

How many kids playing baseball, basketball or any other sport are still playing after college?

There are numerous leagues for baseball, basketball, hockey and soccer.

How many kids continue playing football & lacrosse after college?

Comment

There are numerous leagues for baseball, basketball, hockey and soccer.

How many kids continue playing football & lacrosse after college?
                    And there are certainly adult leagues for soccer, just go up to Lancaster. Many are coed.

Comment

I played football in the ACC back in the day. I know in my case by the time I was done I had had enough and it was years before I had the energy to do anything athletic. One of the things that absolutely hit me was that I felt that I had nothing left to prove so there was nothing to motivate me. It was not until my late twenties, early thrities that I even thought about playing a sport.

Comment

Seems to me like as long as someone is reasonably healthy after a "career" wraps up, that person will eventually get involved in some league or regular pickup game. I took time off after college just because I was burned out from soccer, and I sold my hockey goalie equipment. I couldn't play hockey now if I tried, I'd tear my groin to shreds, but soccer I've played more or less continuosly since a couple years after graduation (and with more skill and intelligence but much less stamina!) Other than that, I'd say people go into coaching and spectating.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X