Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a right way to correct a ref that doesn't know the new rules?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ref in a 05 game today did not know that offensive players can't be on the wall, did not know that there are no more contested drop balls (why are there so many damn drop balls in youth soccer) and didn't know that if the ball hits him and a team loses possession that he gives them the ball back uncontested.

Is the correct answer:

1) Say nothing
    2) Politely tell ref at halftime or after game
    3) Yell it out matter of factly in real time.

I always end up choosing #1, but it does seem reasonable to let a ref know that the rules have changed...

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Ref in a 05 game today did not know that offensive players can't be on the wall, did not know that there are no more contested drop balls (why are there so many damn drop balls in youth soccer) and didn't know that if the ball hits him and a team loses possession that he gives them the ball back uncontested.

Is the correct answer:

1) Say nothing
    2) Politely tell ref at halftime or after game
    3) Yell it out matter of factly in real time.

I always end up choosing #1, but it does seem reasonable to let a ref know that the rules have changed...
    Contact the reffing association and let them know their refs need some reminders. Do you really think a ref will listen to you?

Comment

Contact the reffing association and let them know their refs need some reminders. Do you really think a ref will listen to you?
      You are correct...but I think fans have a god given right to heckle a dumb_ss referee...If they have have "tough skin" they will ignore you anyway.

Comment

You are correct...but I think fans have a god given right to heckle a dumb_ss referee...If they have have "tough skin" they will ignore you anyway.
        And it's *******s like you that make sure we continue to have a referee shortage.

New rules came after referees were recertified for 2019 - a lot of referees haven't had their 2020 recertification classes because we are too damn busy covering games and being thick-skinned for *******s like you. And just so you know, not all leagues are adopting the new rules until spring to give the referees time to go through the recerts and learn the nuances of the rule changes so we can get it right. So maybe the referee was using the proper interpretation of the rules for that league at this time ?

And it's a good thing your not on a sideline I am officiating I can assure you of that - you may think it is your god-given right to heckle me at my job but don't be surprised when I exercise my rights to toss you off the sidelines where you can't be seen or heard. Your kid and the other parents will thank me for it too...

Comment

And it's *******s like you that make sure we continue to have a referee shortage.

New rules came after referees were recertified for 2019 - a lot of referees haven't had their 2020 recertification classes because we are too damn busy covering games and being thick-skinned for *******s like you. And just so you know, not all leagues are adopting the new rules until spring to give the referees time to go through the recerts and learn the nuances of the rule changes so we can get it right. So maybe the referee was using the proper interpretation of the rules for that league at this time ?

And it's a good thing your not on a sideline I am officiating I can assure you of that - you may think it is your god-given right to heckle me at my job but don't be surprised when I exercise my rights to toss you off the sidelines where you can't be seen or heard. Your kid and the other parents will thank me for it too...
          oh boohoo, your pathetic feelings are hurt? you are definitely a soft skinned wimp.
          You are getting paid to do a good Job...so do it.

"have an issue?, grab a tissue" N. Powers

Comment

Most of the refs are good people and if you talk to them respectfully at the right time and don't embarrass them I think they will respond positively.

Comment

Seeing how there are referees reading I have a question. I am seeing referees calling offsides on players who are in an offside position but not a part of the play. I've always thought that you are allowed to be in an offside position and sometimes its even a strategy to put a player in an offside position BUT play the ball to a player that is not offside.

What is the rule for youth soccer here(LIJ)?

Comment

Seeing how there are referees reading I have a question. I am seeing referees calling offsides on players who are in an offside position but not a part of the play. I've always thought that you are allowed to be in an offside position and sometimes its even a strategy to put a player in an offside position BUT play the ball to a player that is not offside.

It's a very subjective determination if a player was involved in the play. If a centerback hedges on an offside winger that is 40 yards away then that player can be deemed part of the play even though they are no where near the ball.

Comment

great question....but I guarantee the referee on TS with us has no fkg clue and he needs time to research it before he types anything. (as you can do yourself you lazy bum). fyi, i know i'm a ***** and i don't care. :)

Comment

great question....but I guarantee the referee on TS with us has no fkg clue and he needs time to research it before he types anything. (as you can do yourself you lazy bum). fyi, i know i'm a ***** and i don't care. :)
                    Also seeing a major discrepancy on the new hand ball rule. Some ref's are calling off the new rule and others are calling everything under the old rule.. Very confusing.

Comment

Also seeing a major discrepancy on the new hand ball rule. Some ref's are calling off the new rule and others are calling everything under the old rule.. Very confusing.
                      in any event god bless var at the world cup...hopefully someday we can use this at all levels of soccer...referees are only human and have to much power. var allows the referee to make a better decision as proved many, many times the last world cup.

Comment

in any event god bless var at the world cup...hopefully someday we can use this at all levels of soccer...referees are only human and have to much power. var allows the referee to make a better decision as proved many, many times the last world cup.
                        What about the handball with Liverpool vs. Man. ?
                        That should've been a handball as the players arm was out, no ?

Comment

What about the handball with Liverpool vs. Man. ?
                          That should've been a handball as the players arm was out, no ?
                          idk...i didn't watch the game...maybe our smart_ss referee should know the answer...but hes way to busy looking up the rules!!!!

Comment

yeah, you're an expert I'm sure

Comment

If only I could block the condescending ***** from seeing my answers. Because clearly he is too full of himself and his 10lbs S-H-I-T and has no interest in answers because he has all of them.

Answer #1. A player must be involved in active play from an offside position to be flagged. It is somewhat of a subjective call but inexperienced referees will immediately raise their flag. Those referees are generally under 3-5 years experience...the ones that quit because Mr know-it-all sideline hero thinks it is his god-given right to prove to all the world what a real dick he is.

Generally, the center will go along with it to avoid having his team member harassed and if he is a good referee will speak to the AR after the game. If the crew is mic-ed a lot of this goes away because calls are communicated before they are made to (hopefully) be sure we get it right.

It is somewhat like calling advantage, it takes a lot of years and experience to know when to let the game go and see what develops. It's a difficult skill to develop, you want to make the call right away and get it right but sometimes the right call is no call at all...

Answer #2. The rule on handling has changed and the correct way to call it based on instruction for the state associations is that if the attacking team has a borderline call in the attacking third you make the call. If the exact same play happens but this time it is the defending team you let it go. We as referees HATE this because it builds an inconsistency into the rules - and that is the fastest way to cause issues with coaches and players (and yes keyboard hero, notice I didn't say flatulent spectators farting out their ignorant venom - you don't count at all. Can't have a game without players and coaches, its a GREAT game without spectators like you!!!) Even if we are not calling the game the way the teams like, they will at least respect what you are doing if you are consistent.

Again though the rule is subjective and so you won't always see the same call from game to game. And just to add another twist, you won't and shouldn't see the same level of tolerance depending on the age group. The older the age group the more we expect and less we accept accidental hand to ball.

I hope this helps....

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X