Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a right way to correct a ref that doesn't know the new rules?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, there is no right way for a spectator to talk to referee about the rules. Again, you don't count.

Most leagues have evaluations that are done by the coaches at the end of the game and the coaches can bring it to the attention of the assignor. The assignor will then have a conversation with the referee if need be. See I know this because I am an assignor too,

Its a learning curve for all of us and we never stop learning and the rules in small and large ways never stop changing.

I really hope the Keyboard Hero goes and gets certified and comes out and join us. You'll get humble real quick or lonely because no one will want to work with a know it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      If only I could block the condescending ***** from seeing my answers. Because clearly he is too full of himself and his 10lbs S-H-I-T and has no interest in answers because he has all of them.

Answer #1. A player must be involved in active play from an offside position to be flagged. It is somewhat of a subjective call but inexperienced referees will immediately raise their flag. Those referees are generally under 3-5 years experience...the ones that quit because Mr know-it-all sideline hero thinks it is his god-given right to prove to all the world what a real dick he is.

Generally, the center will go along with it to avoid having his team member harassed and if he is a good referee will speak to the AR after the game. If the crew is mic-ed a lot of this goes away because calls are communicated before they are made to (hopefully) be sure we get it right.

It is somewhat like calling advantage, it takes a lot of years and experience to know when to let the game go and see what develops. It's a difficult skill to develop, you want to make the call right away and get it right but sometimes the right call is no call at all...

Answer #2. The rule on handling has changed and the correct way to call it based on instruction for the state associations is that if the attacking team has a borderline call in the attacking third you make the call. If the exact same play happens but this time it is the defending team you let it go. We as referees HATE this because it builds an inconsistency into the rules - and that is the fastest way to cause issues with coaches and players (and yes keyboard hero, notice I didn't say flatulent spectators farting out their ignorant venom - you don't count at all. Can't have a game without players and coaches, its a GREAT game without spectators like you!!!) Even if we are not calling the game the way the teams like, they will at least respect what you are doing if you are consistent.

Again though the rule is subjective and so you won't always see the same call from game to game. And just to add another twist, you won't and shouldn't see the same level of tolerance depending on the age group. The older the age group the more we expect and less we accept accidental hand to ball.

I hope this helps....
      Thank you for clarifying and i have learned it's game to game and each referee is calling the hand ball differently.

Comment

Also, there is no right way for a spectator to talk to referee about the rules. Again, you don't count.

Most leagues have evaluations that are done by the coaches at the end of the game and the coaches can bring it to the attention of the assignor. The assignor will then have a conversation with the referee if need be. See I know this because I am an assignor too,

Its a learning curve for all of us and we never stop learning and the rules in small and large ways never stop changing.

I really hope the Keyboard Hero goes and gets certified and comes out and join us. You'll get humble real quick or lonely because no one will want to work with a know it all.
        ahh boohoo, you referees are all the biggest prima donnas i have ever seen complaining about your pathetic feelings as you are getting paid. What are you all claiming you get "no respect"? are you all rodney dangerfields?...gtfo....just do the best job you can and get some thicker skin and stfu.

and understand this to be perfectly clear, its the fans that make the game as popular as it is (its not the players and especially not the referees) its the FANS. so yes a Fan has a god given right to heckle the Referee at anytime (as its the Referees job to call the game as best he/she can according to the rules).

Now just stop being a P_ssy.

Comment

Different scenario....there is a player clearly off sides yet his teammate fires a shot into the goal. Is this still considered a goal? (I could not find this answer on the fifa site). just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
            ahh boohoo, you referees are all the biggest prima donnas i have ever seen complaining about your pathetic feelings as you are getting paid. What are you all claiming you get "no respect"? Are you all rodney dangerfields?...gtfo....just do the best job you can and get some thicker skin and stfu.

And understand this to be perfectly clear, its the fans that make the game as popular as it is (its not the players and especially not the referees) its the fans. So yes a fan has a god given right to heckle the referee at anytime (as its the referees job to call the game as best he/she can according to the rules).

Now just stop being a p_ssy.

thanks for your input susa parent

Comment

ahh boohoo, you referees are all the biggest prima donnas i have ever seen complaining about your pathetic feelings as you are getting paid. What are you all claiming you get "no respect"? are you all rodney dangerfields?...gtfo....just do the best job you can and get some thicker skin and stfu.

and understand this to be perfectly clear, its the fans that make the game as popular as it is (its not the players and especially not the referees) its the FANS. so yes a Fan has a god given right to heckle the Referee at anytime (as its the Referees job to call the game as best he/she can according to the rules).

Now just stop being a P_ssy.
              Ah my triggered friend, it is not your god-given right any more than it is mine to come where you work and sh1ttalk you the whole day. It is, however, my certified and licensed right to ensure a safe playing environment for the players and you and your venomous response(s) could put that in jeopardy. That is when I get to humiliate you in front of your friends and neighbors as your kid tries to find a way not to acknowledge you and I show you to the door. The gratitude of the coaches, players and everyone who was anywhere near you is enough for me, no need to thank me.

Comment

Different scenario....there is a player clearly off sides yet his teammate fires a shot into the goal. Is this still considered a goal? (I could not find this answer on the fifa site). just curious.
                As long as the player in the offside position doesn't get involved in active play, the goal counts. That said, did the player in the offside position draw a defender out of position? Or, the nightmare for us; did the keeper play his position differently because of the threat of the offside position player (we rarely get involved in that one, we are not mind readers. But sometimes it is pretty obvious...)

Comment

I was at a U15 game this weekend where an AR kept correcting the ref on the new rules. Must have been a supervisor because it’s the first time I’ve seen an AR regularly correct the ref AND the ref listened.

The contested drop balls are the worst. It’s basically the ref saying, “Neither me not my 2 ARs have any idea what happened.”’

Comment

I was at a U15 game this weekend where an AR kept correcting the ref on the new rules. Must have been a supervisor because it’s the first time I’ve seen an AR regularly correct the ref AND the ref listened.

The contested drop balls are the worst. It’s basically the ref saying, “Neither me not my 2 ARs have any idea what happened.”’
                    Many many times the three referees alternate being the lead referee. Its very possible that in your game the AR was the most experienced referee on the field.

In any event its very evident that in many many many games the referees are "out to lunch" during the game, hence the drop balls.

Comment

Many many times the three referees alternate being the lead referee. Its very possible that in your game the AR was the most experienced referee on the field.
                      A lot of times this is done so a less experienced referee can be mentored in real time.

In any event its very evident that in many many many games the referees are "out to lunch" during the game, hence the drop balls.
                      Drop balls should be exceedingly rare. They are used as a restart for injuries without a foul call (It happens) and when the referee has no idea what is going on (and this is when it should be very rare indeed).

Comment

If only I could block the condescending ***** from seeing my answers. Because clearly he is too full of himself and his 10lbs S-H-I-T and has no interest in answers because he has all of them.

Answer #1. A player must be involved in active play from an offside position to be flagged. It is somewhat of a subjective call but inexperienced referees will immediately raise their flag. Those referees are generally under 3-5 years experience...the ones that quit because Mr know-it-all sideline hero thinks it is his god-given right to prove to all the world what a real dick he is.

Generally, the center will go along with it to avoid having his team member harassed and if he is a good referee will speak to the AR after the game. If the crew is mic-ed a lot of this goes away because calls are communicated before they are made to (hopefully) be sure we get it right.

It is somewhat like calling advantage, it takes a lot of years and experience to know when to let the game go and see what develops. It's a difficult skill to develop, you want to make the call right away and get it right but sometimes the right call is no call at all...

Answer #2. The rule on handling has changed and the correct way to call it based on instruction for the state associations is that if the attacking team has a borderline call in the attacking third you make the call. If the exact same play happens but this time it is the defending team you let it go. We as referees HATE this because it builds an inconsistency into the rules - and that is the fastest way to cause issues with coaches and players (and yes keyboard hero, notice I didn't say flatulent spectators farting out their ignorant venom - you don't count at all. Can't have a game without players and coaches, its a GREAT game without spectators like you!!!) Even if we are not calling the game the way the teams like, they will at least respect what you are doing if you are consistent.

Again though the rule is subjective and so you won't always see the same call from game to game. And just to add another twist, you won't and shouldn't see the same level of tolerance depending on the age group. The older the age group the more we expect and less we accept accidental hand to ball.

I hope this helps....

I appreciate your answers on these and I know it's a tough job. We had a game over the weekend where the AR raised his flag for a foul just outside the box kid is taken down center at the top of box, almost wrestling. The center ref refused to allow his AR to make the call. Came with 2 minutes left of a 2-2 tie, field gets flipped opposing team gets a corner kick and score off horrible goalie play.

Whats the point of AR if the center ref won't listen to them. I video the games do I send the clip to the assignor showing the foul or just let it go?

Comment

I appreciate your answers on these and I know it's a tough job. We had a game over the weekend where the AR raised his flag for a foul just outside the box kid is taken down center at the top of box, almost wrestling. The center ref refused to allow his AR to make the call. Came with 2 minutes left of a 2-2 tie, field gets flipped opposing team gets a corner kick and score off horrible goalie play.

Whats the point of AR if the center ref won't listen to them. I video the games do I send the clip to the assignor showing the foul or just let it go?
                          Yes, send the Video!!!!!!!! Let the ref association know what game it was, the teams, division, game start time, ect....hopefully the ref who blew the call will learn the error and not make the same mistake again.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X