Talking-Soccer.com  

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 3 > Florida

Notices

Florida Discussions about Florida soccer.

Old 10-11-2018
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Stay away from University of Tampa
Quote:
Elaborate please
Where do I start...……..

Men's teams = TBU mafia, Full of TBU players

Women's team = Full of TBU players
Old 10-11-2018
Unregistered

Quote:
Where do I start...……..

I see what you're saying, stay away because your kid won't see the field.
Old 10-11-2018
Unregistered

Reality is

- if your player wants to play, he/she best not limit themselves to FL schools only.
- in the end academics matter the most. Many won't even be playing by junior year so you better love the school
Old 10-11-2018
Unregistered

Quote:
On the women's side, I keep hearing very positive things about the program at FGCU. Great coaches, competitive in their league every year which gives them a shot at playing in the NCAA tournament, and a relatively good academic/athletic workload balance. We looked at it closely but our daughter wanted to go out of state.
Also on the women's side, USF is a great opportunity. The college is steadily improving academically and on the soccer side, DSB has really whipped that program into shape. They are ranked in the Top 25 in the country right now. They do have some international players rostered but the majority are from the U.S. When you roll in Prepaid and Bright Futures it's a great value.
Old 10-11-2018
Unregistered

FL has some very very good D-II men's programs, with many being better than D-I programs nationally. The NCAA tournament brackets are set up with the FL college programs knocking each other out before the final four. It happens all the time that FL programs don't even reach the NCAA tournament and would be good enough to win a national championship. With that being stated, there are not many American players making impacts at the D-II schools. Players come from all over the world and are often a little older and have pro academy backgrounds.

UCF, USF, FGCU and FIU all are good soccer programs on a D-I national level. FAU has new men's coaches, but so far still not showing much and feedback not good. FAU should be able to be a top level program, both women's and men's struggle on a national level. FIU also has some questions around the coach. I have never really heard anything bad about UCF and USF.
Old 10-11-2018
Unregistered

Quote:
Where do I start...……..

Full of TBU players? Less than 25% of UT's women's roster and less than 10% of the men's roster are from Tampa. Your grudge against TBU couldn't be more obvious. Sorry you couldn't make it there.
Old 10-11-2018
Unregistered

If you look at many of the women rosters in Florida, they are full of foreign players. What's the deal? Are foreign players THAT much better?
Old 10-11-2018
Unregistered

Quote:
Also on the women's side, USF is a great opportunity. The college is steadily improving academically and on the soccer side, DSB has really whipped that program into shape. They are ranked in the Top 25 in the country right now. They do have some international players rostered but the majority are from the U.S. When you roll in Prepaid and Bright Futures it's a great value.
Hasn't DSB been at USF for many years. If her team is having a good season that is great but it not like she and her husband just started coaching there. Otherwise don't disagree with what you wrote, it makes sense.
Old 10-11-2018
Unregistered

Quote:
If you look at many of the women rosters in Florida, they are full of foreign players. What's the deal? Are foreign players THAT much better?
They can’t fill the scholarships with enough quality. Title 9 has created so
many D-I programs for women that the talent level is watered down. D-II is more flexible in terms of being able to get internationals and there isn’t much quality left over after the D-I programs are done recruiting.
Old 10-12-2018
Unregistered

Default No football games.

Its extremely rare that a high level women's soccer program will allow their players to attend football games during the season. Would you let your players stroll around a college football game all day before a Sunday contest if you were the coach? Tailgates/drinking/craziness etc?

If your daughter wants the college big game "experience" she needs to attend a school that has a high level "off season" team like basketball etc.

Quote:
I must agree with this post. Our daughter likes the soccer program and coaches. Like the poster stated a good academic/athletic balance. Nice campus too. However she didn't like the fact that academically it isn't as high as some of the other state and private schools. She also wanted a school with a football team. She's been to several college football games and wants that as part of her college experience.