Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Club Team Attendance Issues

Our first year of club. My son is one of the top players on a U11 B team.

Fall - game and practice attendance was good. Though we couldn't get enough for extra tournaments outside of those on the calendar.

Winter - The same 4-5 kids have been attending practice and we can't seem to get the numbers for tournaments that are on the schedule. Some parents don't even respond to team emails.

A/B teams practice together at times and it seems the A team doesn't always have the numbers either.

My questions - Is this typical across all clubs? Is this just a Winter thing? Is it possibly just a B team thing?

We joined a club team expecting the interest level to be higher than a town or travel team and are quickly learning that isn't the case.

Trying to figure out if we should look elsewhere for next Fall. Otherwise we're pretty happy with the club.

LEAVE - this is not what you should be paying money for! Find a club that's more serious for your son's level. If he's at the top level for club he shouldn't have any trouble finding better clubs

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Our first year of club. My son is one of the top players on a U11 B team.

Fall - game and practice attendance was good. Though we couldn't get enough for extra tournaments outside of those on the calendar.

Winter - The same 4-5 kids have been attending practice and we can't seem to get the numbers for tournaments that are on the schedule. Some parents don't even respond to team emails.

A/B teams practice together at times and it seems the A team doesn't always have the numbers either.

My questions - Is this typical across all clubs? Is this just a Winter thing? Is it possibly just a B team thing?

We joined a club team expecting the interest level to be higher than a town or travel team and are quickly learning that isn't the case.

Trying to figure out if we should look elsewhere for next Fall. Otherwise we're pretty happy with the club.
      Scorpions boys??

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
        scorpions boys??
        run quick

Comment

Scorpions boys??
          No, but I guess we know where to not try out. :)

Comment

Congrats. Another winner of a thread.

Comment

Congrats. Another winner of a thread.
              thousands of kids, cant come up with a good team

Comment

We were in a similar situation with a U11 team. We ended up leaving b/c the kiddo wanted a higher level of commitment, that's why we did club in the first place. My kid is unusual and only wants soccer and one other sport, prioritizes soccer. Other kids on the team were missing winter for b-ball, etc, which in my mind for age 10-11 is more 'normal' but every kid is different. We found a team that had a reputation of being more 'hard core'-there are more expectations but the kids and parents are very committed and we have found our own balance. Left mid year but didn't burn bridges. You are paying a lot of money and need to find what works best for you and your son. Good luck!

Comment

The challenge of U10/U11/U12 on commitment is in most clubs. Many soccer players ski or play basketball or hockey. Then you have the other players (and their parents) that are very committed to one sport. The issue is unless that child is really at the very top most club teams have multi-sport kids.

The other issue is when you do find the club team that is compromised of more single sport athletes then the coach is usually over the top which is fine for a 14 year old but for a 9 year old with a long road ahead of him that is a bit too much.

Comment

If your son can play, find the best half dozen MA teams in your son's age group and pick the best fit. Players show up to practice. Not that complicated.

Comment

We were in a similar situation with a U11 team. We ended up leaving b/c the kiddo wanted a higher level of commitment, that's why we did club in the first place. My kid is unusual and only wants soccer and one other sport, prioritizes soccer. Other kids on the team were missing winter for b-ball, etc, which in my mind for age 10-11 is more 'normal' but every kid is different. We found a team that had a reputation of being more 'hard core'-there are more expectations but the kids and parents are very committed and we have found our own balance. Left mid year but didn't burn bridges. You are paying a lot of money and need to find what works best for you and your son. Good luck!
                      My son also only wants soccer. He's recently dropped LAX and baseball. He still loves basketball, but that comes 2nd.

Is your club 1 of the big 3? I've heard one is a bit more strict with attendance. That initially turned us off. How things change.

Comment

If your son can play, find the best half dozen MA teams in your son's age group and pick the best fit. Players show up to practice. Not that complicated.
                        Remember the goal of soccer at u10-12. You never told anyone whether they were improving or not.

Comment

The challenge of U10/U11/U12 on commitment is in most clubs. Many soccer players ski or play basketball or hockey. Then you have the other players (and their parents) that are very committed to one sport. The issue is unless that child is really at the very top most club teams have multi-sport kids.

The other issue is when you do find the club team that is compromised of more single sport athletes then the coach is usually over the top which is fine for a 14 year old but for a 9 year old with a long road ahead of him that is a bit too much.

I completely agree. It is often hard to find a balance. I have 4 kids and have found that it is also very kid dependent. Oldest is very one track minded and only wanted the one sport. Second oldest likes soccer but town travel with some technical training and camps on the side is enough b/c wants karate and baseball as well. Next oldest is just wanting soccer and dance (girl).

Comment

Good feedback and advice. I definitely don't want a coach who turns him off the sport. We've actually been quite happy with the coaching. We're paid in full so I guess I'll see what Spring brings.

Comment

Remember the goal of soccer at u10-12. You never told anyone whether they were improving or not.
                              I hear you. He had a huge growth spurt in soccer last year which led us/him to club. I can't say he's not improving. It's just not as obvious as last year, so it's had to say how much.

Obviously, the more he gets to play the more he'll grow. I feel that he's missing those opportunities due to a few kids who aren't committed to the team.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X