Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recruiting agencies - Are they worth it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recruiting agencies - Are they worth it?

Recently my husband and I were approached by a college/sports recruiting agency based in New England. They claimed my child was a great candidate for their 'program' because she is a good player and has good grades. For a fee of somewhere around $4,000 they put together a video and then shop my kid's resume to various colleges and programs with the hopes that they will be able to find her both merit money and athletic money that I would not be able to find on my own. They use their 'contact's, and 'prior coaching' as qualifications. Their promise is that they do all the legwork for us and because they have the contacts it is much easier for them to get the $$ from the schools...thereby making the fee we pay them totally worth the money saved in scholarships (both academic/merit and sports).

Has any highschool parent used one of these agencies and was it worth it? There are several in New England.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Recently my husband and I were approached by a college/sports recruiting agency based in New England. They claimed my child was a great candidate for their 'program' because she is a good player and has good grades. For a fee of somewhere around $4,000 they put together a video and then shop my kid's resume to various colleges and programs with the hopes that they will be able to find her both merit money and athletic money that I would not be able to find on my own. They use their 'contact's, and 'prior coaching' as qualifications. Their promise is that they do all the legwork for us and because they have the contacts it is much easier for them to get the $$ from the schools...thereby making the fee we pay them totally worth the money saved in scholarships (both academic/merit and sports).

Has any highschool parent used one of these agencies and was it worth it? There are several in New England.
    Sounds like a scam/waste of money.

Comment

I'm always being asked to join a modeling agency.

Comment

All of it can be done with a bit of legwork on your own. And you could pay all that money and be very disappointed with the results. Besides, I'd be leery of anyone who approached me vs the other way around.

Comment

Your husband? Or your wife? Where did they find you? At Dunkin Donuts? At Longhorn Steakhouse? At a field? How did they know who you were to approach you? How did they already know your child has good grades? Did they approach any other parents on the sidelines or just you? Did they provide you with some testimonials/success stories? Please describe for us exactly what happened.

Comment

Your husband? Or your wife? Where did they find you? At Dunkin Donuts? At Longhorn Steakhouse? At a field? How did they know who you were to approach you? How did they already know your child has good grades? Did they approach any other parents on the sidelines or just you? Did they provide you with some testimonials/success stories? Please describe for us exactly what happened.
            They posted on T/S for one...
            Already makes them suspect.

Comment

Don't waste your money. I would even suggest that using a service will diminish your kid's chances at being recruited or, rather, wanted by some schools.

A school in the Midwest has the following on its website under the recruiting FAQs:

"It’s also important that you be the one doing the presenting. Remember, we are recruiting you, not your mother and not your father. Parents who insist on advocating/presenting/representing their children are doing them a disservice and diminishing their chances to be recruited. We also view scouting/recruiting services as a no-no as the use of these types of services often indicates a degree of laziness or ineptitude that we are not interested in recruiting."

Comment

Lol. Approached us at a clinic. A person running the clinic introduced us. Gave the schpeal and then asked about academics. No on the testimonials. Anecdotal info on success stories but nothing specific. I have no idea whether they approached other parents, but it's likely. It does seem like a scam but was interested if anyone had had success.

Comment

Lol. Approached us at a clinic. A person running the clinic introduced us. Gave the schpeal and then asked about academics. No on the testimonials. Anecdotal info on success stories but nothing specific. I have no idea whether they approached other parents, but it's likely. It does seem like a scam but was interested if anyone had had success.
                  That rapid fire questioning is Perspective trying to get you to say something that he can use to accuse you of being btdt. He's restrained himself a whopping one or two whole days now and has reached the breaking point.

Comment

That rapid fire questioning is Perspective trying to get you to say something that he can use to accuse you of being btdt. He's restrained himself a whopping one or two whole days now and has reached the breaking point.
                    The last sentence of the OP was most telling. Acting dumbfounded and without a clue in the first paragraph, and then at the end an expert who is telling us how many similar recruiting outfits there are in New England. Amazing. And "a person" introduced them at a clinic. They didn't know about the good grades ahead of time, and yet they approached THAT family. And the parents have no clue at all as to whether they spoke to anyone else (which you would think they would have seen or talked about with other parents later). And the last kicker...who doesn't go to their club or older parents at the club to ask about this "service" as opposed to acting like TS is the place to come and get those questions answered for real???

Comment

Does this recruiting service turn down the families with superb players who are only average students, LOL??? Is that a wise business decision to target such a small sliver of the recruitment clientele? They really basically go one family at a time, door-to-door like in the old selling vacuum cleaner days?

Please, if you're if your intent on posting these little novellas then at least put a little effort into them.

Comment

Seems like a bs story to me.

Is the OP just looking for anti agency postings? Did the OP get taken in by such a fraudster?

I suppose some greenhorn could fall for the pitch. There's a sucker born every minute. But I really hope not.

Comment

Seems like a bs story to me.

Is the OP just looking for anti agency postings? Did the OP get taken in by such a fraudster?

I suppose some greenhorn could fall for the pitch. There's a sucker born every minute. But I really hope not.
                          There are. They let the clubs keep 25% of the application fee for tournaments when they're cancelled.
                          Not just greenhorns, either.

Comment

Makes it sound like he was in cahoots with the clinic. Definitely suspicious. But legit or not these services are not necessary. Do the leg work, have your kid contact coaches so they can watch him play, make a video (if you have no skills you can hire someone for not a lot of money). Most importantly, have him keep his grades up and work on getting good test scores

Comment

The last sentence of the OP was most telling. Acting dumbfounded and without a clue in the first paragraph, and then at the end an expert who is telling us how many similar recruiting outfits there are in New England. Amazing. And "a person" introduced them at a clinic. They didn't know about the good grades ahead of time, and yet they approached THAT family. And the parents have no clue at all as to whether they spoke to anyone else (which you would think they would have seen or talked about with other parents later). And the last kicker...who doesn't go to their club or older parents at the club to ask about this "service" as opposed to acting like TS is the place to come and get those questions answered for real???
                              You have way too much time on your hands. Do you get this worked up about the toilet paper roll being changed. Go back on your meds.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X