Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I love all these comments to the effect of "it's a footballer thing, you wouldn't understand". Well, it's certainly not a "sports" thing because in every other sport worthy of the title a guy throwing himself into harm's way is not entitled, by rule or personal expectation, to have the opponent pull out of the play.

"Oh, he's about to tackle me as I'm playing the ball to a teammate. I'd better short-leg that pass so I don't come into contact with the guy coming at me at 50 miles per hour."

Until you guys get that right don't expect enjoy first tier success in America and continue to expect little punk kids to wine and complain and roll around on the ground after a physical play. Fish rots from the head.
    I'm a 50 year old American male who has come to love soccer over the past few years. More often than not I find myself defending it against what I convinced myself were meritless cliches of soccer players being babies. My latest conclusion, however, is that the cliches are fairly accurate.

The quote I posted refers to 'fish rotting from the head', but the 'fish' are the European players who collectively are a bunch of actors and whiny babies who seek to obtain a foul if another player looks at him the wrong way. Of course this is not all players, (Messi is great example of someone who gets beat on regularly but he rarely complains), but far too many are gross examples for young players to be admiring when it's obvious that screaming and feigning injury at the slightest touch is the rule, not the exception.

I tried my best to convince myself that this was not the case, but I'm sorry that I have to tell my European friends that you are cheering for a bunch of babies whose behavior would not be tolerated for one second on an American ice hockey rink, basketball court, or especially, a football field.

Comment

He got hurt in the process which was purely incidental - no foul. Sheesh!
      That is a minority position. Most of the pundits who are former players agree it was a horrendous foul and would have reacted the same way Matic did.

Comment

I love all these comments to the effect of "it's a footballer thing, you wouldn't understand". Well, it's certainly not a "sports" thing because in every other sport worthy of the title a guy throwing himself into harm's way is not entitled, by rule or personal expectation, to have the opponent pull out of the play.

"Oh, he's about to tackle me as I'm playing the ball to a teammate. I'd better short-leg that pass so I don't come into contact with the guy coming at me at 50 miles per hour."

Until you guys get that right don't expect enjoy first tier success in America and continue to expect little punk kids to wine and complain and roll around on the ground after a physical play. Fish rots from the head.
        Off-base. It's not what Barnes did while he was attempting to pass; it's what he did after attempting to complete the pass - eg seemingly intentionally following through with his full weight and also coming through with his back leg. It's like a hockey player having his shot blocked and then intentionally allow the follow through with his stick to hit an opponent in the face. Or a defensive end who is blocked intentionally falling with his full weight on the QBs leg. It's the kind of stuff that is illegal in all sports.

Comment

That is a minority position. Most of the pundits who are former players agree it was a horrendous foul and would have reacted the same way Matic did.
          Not a foul....it was the follow through from a pass MAtic tried to step into the pass and unfortunately took the brunt of the contact...

I guess most people are not seeing that MAtic did not have the ball so how was it a bad tackle.

Same as two guys going for a 50/50 they both go in hard 1 guy gets hurt...not a foul just because the guy got hurt or when two players run into each other 1 falls down just because that player fell doesnt mean it is a foul.

Players get hurt in unfortunate circumstances all the time this could have been one but no fault of Barnes

Comment

Listen for the nuance from the so-called "pundits and former players". "Seemingly" and "apparently" and "intentionally". Mind readers. Such nonsense. Guy steps in for a hard tackle. OK, he's a hard man, that's fine. Did hard man get the memo sometimes YOU are the one who takes the licking when two lads both refuse to back down. Take your beating and limp off. Think about stepping in on me next time won't ya mate? I know you remember me - when you came after me is when I knew I owned you.

Hard man, be a hard man. Roy would cry if he saw you hard man.

Comment

I tried my best to convince myself that this was not the case, but I'm sorry that I have to tell my European friends that you are cheering for a bunch of babies whose behavior would not be tolerated for one second on an American ice hockey rink, basketball court, or especially, a football field.
              Gamesmanship is part of every organized sport. Soccer is certainly not the only sport to have to endure diving and flopping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ_ye8l-xz0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhQjs00PYqo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKh8Zq6zhRc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqS5U4lSSVg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8-JYSXDp9k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ICiofeu7PI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ReHL49eB5A

Comment

Not a foul....it was the follow through from a pass MAtic tried to step into the pass and unfortunately took the brunt of the contact...

I guess most people are not seeing that MAtic did not have the ball so how was it a bad tackle.

Same as two guys going for a 50/50 they both go in hard 1 guy gets hurt...not a foul just because the guy got hurt or when two players run into each other 1 falls down just because that player fell doesnt mean it is a foul.

Players get hurt in unfortunate circumstances all the time this could have been one but no fault of Barnes
                Agree 100%. English FA are not taking any action which means they viewed it as an accident which couldn't be prevented. It's unfortunate that Matic got hurt, but the furor over it is what gives soccer a bad name. You have supposed former professionals on here moaning, and if they were pro players, they didn't last long. Soccer is a contact sport and there are going to be tough tackles. Move on.

Comment

I'm a 50 year old American male who has come to love soccer over the past few years. More often than not I find myself defending it against what I convinced myself were meritless cliches of soccer players being babies. My latest conclusion, however, is that the cliches are fairly accurate.

The quote I posted refers to 'fish rotting from the head', but the 'fish' are the European players who collectively are a bunch of actors and whiny babies who seek to obtain a foul if another player looks at him the wrong way. Of course this is not all players, (Messi is great example of someone who gets beat on regularly but he rarely complains), but far too many are gross examples for young players to be admiring when it's obvious that screaming and feigning injury at the slightest touch is the rule, not the exception.

Do you even watch basketball? There are way more flops in basketball than soccer in my opinion.

At least it's part of the game in soccer and people accept it and referees can actually penalize a player for diving. You clearly don't know how the same of soccer works.

Comment

Agree 100%. English FA are not taking any action which means they viewed it as an accident which couldn't be prevented. It's unfortunate that Matic got hurt, but the furor over it is what gives soccer a bad name. You have supposed former professionals on here moaning, and if they were pro players, they didn't last long. Soccer is a contact sport and there are going to be tough tackles. Move on.
                    You apparently as are ignorant of the English FA review process as you are what a foul is. The FA only takes retrospective action with respect to incidents that were not seen by the match officials. Since Barnes' tackle was seen by the match official, the FA's policy precluded it from taking any action against Barnes. The FA's failure to take retrospective action in no way suggests that they saw the incident as an "accident".

Comment

They might end up taking back the given red card from Matic. Mourinho is appealing it.

Comment

Easily predictable response, but not accurate. The very simple point (and I denied it myself until it has just become ridiculously obvious) is that in soccer, the whining, crying, and flopping is absolutely the rule, not the exception. That is not the case in any other sport. It really takes away from the sport of soccer.

Comment

Do you even watch basketball? There are way more flops in basketball than soccer in my opinion.

At least it's part of the game in soccer and people accept it and referees can actually penalize a player for diving. You clearly don't know how the same of soccer works.
                          You got me. I admit that I don't know how the same of soccer works.

Comment

They might end up taking back the given red card from Matic. Mourinho is appealing it.
                            Doubt it will be taken back. Even if Barnes deserved a red card and understandable the Matic was POd, that doesn't mean it was OK for Matic to retaliate.

Comment

You got me. I admit that I don't know how the same of soccer works.
                              Admitting you don't know something is the first step in dissolving ignorance. Good job.

Comment

Admitting you don't know something is the first step in dissolving ignorance. Good job.
                                What is the "same of soccer"?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X