Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This newfangled obsession with Futsal is just another manifestation of parental influence in club behavior. Too much use of game results to measure their kids progress. Take all that time and money wasted on tournaments and travel in the winter and stay local and train. Find a club that will offer lots of training during the winter and get your kids into lots of small sided games. There is nothing that Futsal offers that can't be accomplished in 3 v 2, 4 v3 etc small sided training. I don't know what is so hard to understand about the maxim that playing SOCCER and increasing the training to game ratio is the way to go. No other sport tries to train its players by playing a version of itself.

A lot of intelligent people get their kids involved in soccer but somewhere along the way they get really stupid when it comes to pointing their kids in the right direction. But then again Bernie Madoff ripped off a lot of smart people. Futsal is brand owned by hucksters of the worst kind.

As per my earlier post (111) we can agree that the small sided training is great. How a club decides to do this will vary. I disagree that the Futsal at our club has anything at all to do with the parents. The club runs a practice and has a weekend game in addition to the two practices per week on the turf. The futsal is optional. The kids enjoy the game and breaks up the monotony of being on the turf with a regular ball. Personally, I think it offers benefits on different levels.
    If you don't like it then don't enroll your child. It is really that simple.

Comment

The Futsal training is required for our DAP in U.S. Let me guess. It must be the parent influence of all the best players of the country.

This newfangled obsession with Futsal is just another manifestation of parental influence in club behavior. Too much use of game results to measure their kids progress. Take all that time and money wasted on tournaments and travel in the winter and stay local and train. Find a club that will offer lots of training during the winter and get your kids into lots of small sided games. There is nothing that Futsal offers that can't be accomplished in 3 v 2, 4 v3 etc small sided training. I don't know what is so hard to understand about the maxim that playing SOCCER and increasing the training to game ratio is the way to go. No other sport tries to train its players by playing a version of itself.

A lot of intelligent people get their kids involved in soccer but somewhere along the way they get really stupid when it comes to pointing their kids in the right direction. But then again Bernie Madoff ripped off a lot of smart people. Futsal is brand owned by hucksters of the worst kind.

Comment

The Futsal training is required for our DAP in U.S. Let me guess. It must be the parent influence of all the best players of the country.
        And what exactly has DAP done to improve the US game? Seems to me it is actually regressing. Same frenetic speed based game that doesn't work.

Comment

And what exactly has DAP done to improve the US game? Seems to me it is actually regressing. Same frenetic speed based game that doesn't work.
          Say what you want but 65% of division 1 commitments are from DAP.
          It's one stop shopping for coaches.

Comment

Say what you want but 65% of division 1 commitments are from DAP.
            It's one stop shopping for coaches.
            But maybe it still would have been 65% without DAP. or maybe 70% or maybe 60%. Furthermore who says it is ALL the best players. Maybe it is most, or some, or many.....

Comment

That is exactly why they started Futsal training 2 years ago.

Comment

That is exactly why they started Futsal training 2 years ago.
                You clearly have your mind made up that Futsal is the answer to all of our problems that keep us from competing at a World Class level and from producing players that are more than B league level.

Mark my word. Things will be no different in 2, 3, or 5 years so long as parents are driving the decisions clubs make.

Here is what needs to be done:

1) No organized games until U10, 2) Training to game ratio of 5:1, 3) no hierarchical rankings of teams and players until U13. 4) Mandatory minimum playing time for all players until U13. 5) No relegation of teams until Fall U13. 6) Coach to player ratio of 1:5 up to U12, 7) 7 v 7 through U12.

Forget Futsal - nothing but a distraction and fad that will disappear. Play soccer. Real balls on turf or grass.

Comment

That is what you think. Most of your suggestions are not implemented in the world class level country. Even in Germany, the kids are playing some indoor soccer very close to the form of Futsal.

Do whatever you would like to do with your kid, leave others alone. Stop bashing them.

You clearly have your mind made up that Futsal is the answer to all of our problems that keep us from competing at a World Class level and from producing players that are more than B league level.

Mark my word. Things will be no different in 2, 3, or 5 years so long as parents are driving the decisions clubs make.

1) No organized games until U10, 2) Training to game ratio of 5:1, 3) no hierarchical rankings of teams and players until U13. 4) Mandatory minimum playing time for all players until U13. 5) No relegation of teams until Fall U13. 6) Coach to player ratio of 1:5 up to U12, 7) 7 v 7 through U12.

Forget Futsal - nothing but a distraction and fad that will disappear. Play soccer. Real balls on turf or grass.

Comment

That is what you think. Most of your suggestions are not implemented in the world class level country. Even in Germany, the kids are playing some indoor soccer very close to the form of Futsal.

Do whatever you would like to do with your kid, leave others alone. Stop bashing them.
                    Not bashing the "kids" I am bashing parents and coaches. I am not saying don't play futsal but why not have them play some basketball or lacrosse in the winter and just take a few months off from soccer/futsal. But more importantly your perception that futsal is a complementary development tool in other countries is just plain wrong. In Brasil it is an entry level game. But FWIW read this article about the quandry in youth sports in general esp early specialization and the dangers:

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/1...-espn-magazine

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1477427]That is what you think. Most of your suggestions are not implemented in the world class level country. [QUOTE]

Uhhhhhhhhh, yes they are..............

Comment

I am not sure from what angle you are coming, but your points are not entirely good or bad. Are you one of those incredibly knowledgeable parents who wants to drive the bus??

Your two best comments are that the kids should play 5-6 days per week. I might say 4 at a minimum with the other days spent with fitness training geared toward soccer. The coach to kid ratio is a good one. I also like the minimum play time. Game play is as much part of development as any practice is. The game and practice eventually become one.

Relegation is a tough one to deal with. There is little sense in having more than 8-10 teams in a division which would be 8-10 different clubs. If your league as more than that many clubs then some decisions need to be made and DOCs need to be realistic. Lopsided games are of no value.
                        Perhaps relegation has value when done internally on the player level within each club. To have a player play way over their head is not as good as getting more playtime on a correct level.
                        Although the concept of relegation appears punitive, its presence can allow better development for the kids allowing them to work on their own personal game, build confidence and self-esteem, and, as they mature, be better set to escalate their game and selves to a higher level.

The number of games is of debate as well as long as one recognizes the value of games i.e. practice in a pressure situation. Why isn't a 5:2 or 4:2 game ratio good? Two games give twice as much opportunity for players to practice their craft in a game-scenario......as long as their minimum playtime and realistic DOC/coaches.

There will always be a hierarchy of some sorts either between or within clubs or between players. Instead of fighting it, it might be better to use it to your advantage.

Comment

I am not sure from what angle you are coming, but your points are not entirely good or bad. Are you one of those incredibly knowledgeable parents who wants to drive the bus??

Your two best comments are that the kids should play 5-6 days per week. I might say 4 at a minimum with the other days spent with fitness training geared toward soccer. The coach to kid ratio is a good one. I also like the minimum play time. Game play is as much part of development as any practice is. The game and practice eventually become one.

Relegation is a tough one to deal with. There is little sense in having more than 8-10 teams in a division which would be 8-10 different clubs. If your league as more than that many clubs then some decisions need to be made and DOCs need to be realistic. Lopsided games are of no value.
                          Perhaps relegation has value when done internally on the player level within each club. To have a player play way over their head is not as good as getting more playtime on a correct level.
                          Although the concept of relegation appears punitive, its presence can allow better development for the kids allowing them to work on their own personal game, build confidence and self-esteem, and, as they mature, be better set to escalate their game and selves to a higher level.

The number of games is of debate as well as long as one recognizes the value of games i.e. practice in a pressure situation. Why isn't a 5:2 or 4:2 game ratio good? Two games give twice as much opportunity for players to practice their craft in a game-scenario......as long as their minimum playtime and realistic DOC/coaches.

There will always be a hierarchy of some sorts either between or within clubs or between players. Instead of fighting it, it might be better to use it to your advantage.
                          Nope. Former player and coach. I don't have a dog in the hunt. By relegation I do not necessarily mean not matching teams according to ability but rather no dissolution of a team because of their record as a U10 team. When clubs sign a player they should own that player (at players discretion of course) for three years. This obligates them to train rather than recruit. I used the 5:1 ratio as an example but it does not need to be hard and fast but in general there should be more training than games. 4:1 is okay. Gets a little hinky at 2:1. My other point is players should take off at least 30-60 days in the winter and then again in the summer and do something else. There is actually a study out that provides empirical evidence that early specialization reduces success at older ages. Players who engage in two or more sports for a longer period of time are more successful at their primary sport.

Comment

Why are you bashing the parents? If you think this Futsal thing is driven by the parents, you are really out of your mind.

You are just try to bash the people who don't share the same opinion with you. You just try to prove you are right. That is all.

No matter what you think, the kids and the parents know better what is more important or fun for them. If you are not happy with what they are doing or not listening to you. I suggest you should learn to calm down and cope with it instead of bashing.

Not bashing the "kids" I am bashing parents and coaches. I am not saying don't play futsal but why not have them play some basketball or lacrosse in the winter and just take a few months off from soccer/futsal. But more importantly your perception that futsal is a complementary development tool in other countries is just plain wrong. In Brasil it is an entry level game. But FWIW read this article about the quandry in youth sports in general esp early specialization and the dangers:

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/1...-espn-magazine

Comment

Perfume is smelly

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X