Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am a huge soccer fan and love watching it at all levels. I watch the Premier League weekly and the Revs and USNT's on occasion. As a mom, I especially love watching my kids play. I am indeed a true fan of the game. But frankly I could care less and am not invested at all in the direction the development at the national/professional level for the US soccer program. This is no different than me being a huge fan of the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL. I love all of these sports and love rooting my teams on, but I pay no mind to the behind the scenes developmental debates for the professional level of these sports. My kids will not play professionally so it just doesn't interest or concern me much, but that does not make me any less a fan.
    Good for you, I guess. In a way, you've got it right: Set your own agenda and take care of your priorities, in a mother hen/self-interested/take care of my kids sense. In a larger sense, you've got it WAY wrong. I think you need to be concerned with the bigger soccer culture--including the future of the sport in the US--if you want your kids to get the greatest benefit out of what they are doing now with the game. Soccer is never going to be part of any of our kids' livelihoods, but being a soccer player, a former soccer player, or a soccer fan in a true soccer culture is far more fulfilling than it is in the environment we now have. Being part of something bigger than yourself is one of life's great joys--and one of the great attractions of soccer. You sell your kids short if you leave their soccer experience in a vacuum.

Comment

We strive for mediocrity when it comes to football in this country. We'll need another few decades before we can even think about actually competing for a World Cup. Even Jürgen acknowledged that.
      Yes, I do remember when Jurgen told everyone before the 2014 World Cup started pretty much that the United States has no chance of winning the thing this year.

I trust Jurgen because he knows way more about football than I probably ever will in my life. If he think it will take a few years for football in America to get good, then I trust him much more than some blind American soccer enthusiast.

Comment

Good for you, I guess. In a way, you've got it right: Set your own agenda and take care of your priorities, in a mother hen/self-interested/take care of my kids sense. In a larger sense, you've got it WAY wrong. I think you need to be concerned with the bigger soccer culture--including the future of the sport in the US--if you want your kids to get the greatest benefit out of what they are doing now with the game. Soccer is never going to be part of any of our kids' livelihoods, but being a soccer player, a former soccer player, or a soccer fan in a true soccer culture is far more fulfilling than it is in the environment we now have. Being part of something bigger than yourself is one of life's great joys--and one of the great attractions of soccer. You sell your kids short if you leave their soccer experience in a vacuum.
        Oh wise one, please tell us what you are personally doing to change the culture of US Soccer for the greater good?

Comment

Oh wise one, please tell us what you are personally doing to change the culture of US Soccer for the greater good?
          1. Cheerleaders
          2. Shot clock
          3. No offside rule
          4. Flopping punished by merciless on-field beatings

Comment

OK, Grasshopper, but be forewarned, the path is neither mystical nor complicated. Here is some of what I do to try to help build a soccer culture. Mind, I enjoy all of this stuff, so its not like it is work or anything I feel noble for doing.
            1. Learn about the game: Scanning my shelves, I see some great reads: The Miracle of Castel di Sangro, Coaching Outside the Box, The Damned Utd, La Roja, How Soccer Explains the World, Fever Pitch, Brilliant Orange, The Man Watching. (I also see some duds: Among the Thugs, The Greatest Footballer You Never Saw, to name a few). There is a wealth of culture waiting to be discovered. The internet puts it all within reach.
            2. Watch the game. Again, highly enjoyable as a spectacle, hugely rewarding as I learn more (and realize how much I'll never know.) Did you watch US-Panama? Yes. Did you watch any mid-week EPL or Copa? I can't say I did, but I'll search out some highlights because you know something great happened. Did you congratulate your friend from Ivory Coast on their cup victory? If so, you are helping our soccer culture.
            3. Talk to people about the game--and listen! It is astounding to learn how much people know about soccer, both US-born and immigrants. It is truly an un-tapped connection, and so much better than talking about golf. If I see a kid in a team shirt, I'll ask if that is his favorite team (You'll be surprised how often its not, eg, "I got this Man U shirt as a gift but I really like Real Madrid...etc") Talking about soccer makes you more interested in soccer which makes you want to learn more about soccer which makes you want to...you get it.
            4. Help coach a team. I've paid for years of club soccer, and I've tried to pick up bits and pieces, and some of it has stuck with me. I'm never going to pretend to be an expert (and I know I should go for those licenses...) but bringing some basic knowledge and enthusiasm to a rec league team never hurts.
            5. Support your local team. Get your @ss to Foxboro! Yeah, I want a soccer-only stadium near the city, but we don't have one yet, so support the Revs where/as they are! Also, watch the local high school teams. Be interested in live soccer in any form. About ten years ago I watched a mens' league game between teams made up of Jamaican and Haitian and Brazilian and Irish men--seeing those guys up close, seeing the blood and collisions and communication and interplay and skill on a crappy field under the lights in Somerville gave me new appreciation for the unique combination of art and aggression, speed and strength, that is soccer. That 1/2 hour I watched motivated me--made me say "Man, I wish I could play this game!". Me being there watching--showing interest--helped build our soccer culture.
            6. Sponsor a "scholarship" on your club. We all know "pay to play" is the dead-weight of US soccer. It will drag us down until we get more kids involved! I donate what I can to help a kid who might not play otherwise.
            7. Realize you are probably an embarrassing dilettante. And, in the words of Ben Folds, Do it anyway! Remember, we don't have a soccer culture here. We have to build it--apply your favorite cliche--Rome wasn't...gotta break some eggs...all good.
            8. Give a sh*t. I see how much people around the world enjoy their soccer--more, I'd say, than even rabid US fans enjoy their sports of choice. I think we are missing out on something great, and I think we can have better soccer than anyone in the world. I can't wait to show the world that we are not only the greatest nation in the world, but also the greatest soccer nation. Soccer is something I spend the most valuable thing I have on--my time! Why wouldn't I care?
            How's that for a start?

Comment

OK, Grasshopper, but be forewarned, the path is neither mystical nor complicated. Here is some of what I do to try to help build a soccer culture. Mind, I enjoy all of this stuff, so its not like it is work or anything I feel noble for doing.
              1. Learn about the game: Scanning my shelves, I see some great reads: The Miracle of Castel di Sangro, Coaching Outside the Box, The Damned Utd, La Roja, How Soccer Explains the World, Fever Pitch, Brilliant Orange, The Man Watching. (I also see some duds: Among the Thugs, The Greatest Footballer You Never Saw, to name a few). There is a wealth of culture waiting to be discovered. The internet puts it all within reach.
              2. Watch the game. Again, highly enjoyable as a spectacle, hugely rewarding as I learn more (and realize how much I'll never know.) Did you watch US-Panama? Yes. Did you watch any mid-week EPL or Copa? I can't say I did, but I'll search out some highlights because you know something great happened. Did you congratulate your friend from Ivory Coast on their cup victory? If so, you are helping our soccer culture.
              3. Talk to people about the game--and listen! It is astounding to learn how much people know about soccer, both US-born and immigrants. It is truly an un-tapped connection, and so much better than talking about golf. If I see a kid in a team shirt, I'll ask if that is his favorite team (You'll be surprised how often its not, eg, "I got this Man U shirt as a gift but I really like Real Madrid...etc") Talking about soccer makes you more interested in soccer which makes you want to learn more about soccer which makes you want to...you get it.
              4. Help coach a team. I've paid for years of club soccer, and I've tried to pick up bits and pieces, and some of it has stuck with me. I'm never going to pretend to be an expert (and I know I should go for those licenses...) but bringing some basic knowledge and enthusiasm to a rec league team never hurts.
              5. Support your local team. Get your @ss to Foxboro! Yeah, I want a soccer-only stadium near the city, but we don't have one yet, so support the Revs where/as they are! Also, watch the local high school teams. Be interested in live soccer in any form. About ten years ago I watched a mens' league game between teams made up of Jamaican and Haitian and Brazilian and Irish men--seeing those guys up close, seeing the blood and collisions and communication and interplay and skill on a crappy field under the lights in Somerville gave me new appreciation for the unique combination of art and aggression, speed and strength, that is soccer. That 1/2 hour I watched motivated me--made me say "Man, I wish I could play this game!". Me being there watching--showing interest--helped build our soccer culture.
              6. Sponsor a "scholarship" on your club. We all know "pay to play" is the dead-weight of US soccer. It will drag us down until we get more kids involved! I donate what I can to help a kid who might not play otherwise.
              7. Realize you are probably an embarrassing dilettante. And, in the words of Ben Folds, Do it anyway! Remember, we don't have a soccer culture here. We have to build it--apply your favorite cliche--Rome wasn't...gotta break some eggs...all good.
              8. Give a sh*t. I see how much people around the world enjoy their soccer--more, I'd say, than even rabid US fans enjoy their sports of choice. I think we are missing out on something great, and I think we can have better soccer than anyone in the world. I can't wait to show the world that we are not only the greatest nation in the world, but also the greatest soccer nation. Soccer is something I spend the most valuable thing I have on--my time! Why wouldn't I care?
              How's that for a start?
              Soooooooooooooooooooo. No cheerleaders?

Comment

How's that for a start?
                Amazing.
                I've even started hearing people call it football and I absolutely love it. All my son's coaches call it football and everytime he watches the Premier on a Saturday morning, he tells me he's watching football. I know many Americans on the West Coast already refer to the sport as football but it's nice to see it's trending on the East coast too.

Comment

Amazing.
                  I've even started hearing people call it football and I absolutely love it. All my son's coaches call it football and everytime he watches the Premier on a Saturday morning, he tells me he's watching football. I know many Americans on the West Coast already refer to the sport as football but it's nice to see it's trending on the East coast too.
                  We all call it football. Just had the Super Bowl a couple weekends ago. Try to keep up.

Comment

We all call it football. Just had the Super Bowl a couple weekends ago. Try to keep up.
                    I think he's referring to English football. You know the sport the rest of the world refers to as football?

American football is fun to watch too. Just not by yourself.
                    I can watch Premier League football quitely on a weekend morning while relaxing and having a cup of coffee. It's great

Comment

I think he's referring to English football. You know the sport the rest of the world refers to as football?

I can watch Premier League football quitely on a weekend morning while relaxing and having a cup of coffee. It's great
                      Are you talking about NFL Europe?

Comment

Are you talking about NFL Europe?
                        I think he means NFL in Mexico.

Comment

That's why NFL is the top TV attraction. International appeal.

Comment

That's why NFL is the top TV attraction. International appeal.
                            Champions League destroys NFL games by a mile in number of global viewers.

Comment

Champions League destroys NFL games by a mile in number of global viewers.
                              Name one commercial that aired during your last Champions League viewing? Who performed at the last Champions League halftime entertainment? When is the last time Tom Brady was seen at a Champions League fixture?

That's what I thought.

Comment

Not to parse things here but the term soccer is not an american invention. It actually originated in England as shorthand for aSOCCiation football. It came into common usage in order to avoid confusion with American Football. But whether you call it soccer, football, or footie - we still SUCK in the US. Why? Because youth soccer is geared towards profits, club aggrandizement and achievement, building of CV's for DOC's and coaches, and most importantly - pandering to upper middle class stressed out tigermoms and dads whose kids have to be the BEST AT EVERYTHING. Little League, Pop Warner, Y and Church League Basketball, have no problem producing world class athletes. Soccer has gone the way of hockey where the size of your wallet helps determine playing time. Note that youth hockey in the US is in severe decline..... For a while in late 90's and early 00's it looked like we might be turning the corner. Now? Fuggedaboutit.....

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X