Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Ellis continues the US Soccer tradition of building a roster based on individual athleticism as opposed to a team of players whose strengths and capabilities appropriately complement one another.

A formula for ongoing problems when it comes to facing the best national team sides from Europe and Asia. It's a shame really. Could be so much different with the right set of hands on the wheel at the USWNT.
    Unless the games are like shooting fish in a barrel with hand grenades, some people are never satisfied. That one big reason youth sports are such a mess, no one has the foggiest notion what healthy competition is.

Comment

Never should have listened to the players and dropped Sermani.

Comment

Ellis continues the US Soccer tradition of building a roster based on individual athleticism as opposed to a team of players whose strengths and capabilities appropriately complement one another.

A formula for ongoing problems when it comes to facing the best national team sides from Europe and Asia. It's a shame really. Could be so much different with the right set of hands on the wheel at the USWNT.
        Stephanie McCaffrey To Play For The Boston Breakers
        McCaffrey drafted fifth overall by Chicago, traded to Boston.

Stephanie McCaffrey was drafted by Chicago fifth overall in the NWSL Draft and then traded to her hometown team - the Boston Breakers.

Stephanie McCaffrey was drafted by Chicago fifth overall in the NWSL Draft and then traded to her hometown team - the Boston Breakers.

Jan. 16, 2015

Chestnut Hill, Mass. -

Boston College senior Stephanie McCaffrey's dream came true today. The Winchester native was selected fifth overall in the 2015 National Women's Soccer League Draft (NWSL) this morning. Minutes later, Chicago traded McCaffrey to her hometown team the Boston Breakers where she will be reunited with former BC teammate Kristie Mewis.

It's been a great month for McCaffrey as she is currently training with the full US Women's National team in California. She was called in to the Under-23 National Team camp and was asked to continue training with the full team. It's McCaffrey's first experience with the full national team.

"I can't express what an honor it is to be able to take the next step in my career and to be able to play around my family, friends and in my home state,'' said McCaffrey, from California Friday morning. She has been in California since Jan. 6. "Thank you to the Boston Breakers for selecting me, and I can't wait to help bring a championship back to Boston.''

McCaffrey, who will graduate from the Carroll School of Management in May, was a key to the Eagles offense for four seasons. An All-ACC first team selection as a junior and senior, McCaffrey was the team's second leading scorer with six goals and a team-high seven assists for 19 points in her final season with the Eagles. She has compiled 90 career points, which makes her only the fourth player to score 90 or more points in program history.

McCaffrey leaves BC as the fifth top goal scorer (32) and fifth in career assists (26). The Eagle forward was also a 2014 NSCAA/Continental Tire NCAA Division I Women's All-Southeast Region second team honoree.

She is also a three-time All-ACC Academic team honoree and three-time All-ACC honor roll student.McCaffrey is also a three-time Athletic Director's Award for Academic Achievement honoree.

"We are all excited to have Steph playing here in Boston. It is great for the local soccer community,'' said BC head coach Alison Foley.

McCaffrey is the eighth Boston College player to be drafted by the women's professional soccer league and the second highest selection. Kristie Mewis was the third overall selection in 2013.

BC also has had some players compete internationally as Laura Georges plays for the French National team, while Kia McNeill played in Sweden. Former goalkeeper Arianna Criscione played in Italy, while Mewis played in Japan this past fall.

BC Draft History
        Player Drafted Year Team
        Stephanie McCaffrey 5th overall 2015 Chicago traded to Boston (NWSL)
        Kristen Mewis 3rd overall 2013 Kansas City (NWSL)
        Victoria DiMartino 3rd round 2013 NY Flash (NWSL)
        Jillian Mastroianni 3rd round 2012 Sky Blue (WPSL)
        Kelly Henderson 4th round 2010 Philadelphia (WPSL)
        Gina DiMartino 6th round 2010 Boston Breakers (WPSL)
        Kia McNeill 9th overall 2009 St. Louis (WPSL)
        Sarah Powell 7th round 2000 Boston Breakers (WUSA)

Comment

Sounds great, but I see she is scheduled to graduate in May from BC. Fat chance of that with a schedule of National Team training and Pro Soccer camp.

Comment

Sounds great, but I see she is scheduled to graduate in May from BC. Fat chance of that with a schedule of National Team training and Pro Soccer camp.
            Please. She will graduate in May. BC will be more than accommodating to help her make up any work prior to that

And even if she didn't, it still worth the experience of playing a sport she loves at the highest possible level.

Comment

Mack the Knife will be next!!!

Comment

Baconator crisps and sizzles increasingly larger skillets. Intelligent, informed T-S readers have smelt porcine greatness wafting from the Pork Goddess for years. Germany, Japan, Canada, and France will soon be scrambled rather than sunny side up as ordered and expected, fighting over WWC 2nd place.

Comment

Mack the Knife will be next!!!
                  Mac the knife and HD better 1st start wondering now who's going to open up the field for them? BC played last season w basically no mid field and a hobbled SM trying to create for HD and others...

Comment

Mac the knife and HD better 1st start wondering now who's going to open up the field for them? BC played last season w basically no mid field and a hobbled SM trying to create for HD and others...
                    Not sure what games you were watching... I'll give you the "no midfield," but I didn't see a lot of, or any, "creating" from SM at the several games I attended.

Comment

intense

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X