Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    True but the emphasis changes a lot from 10 to 12. Foot skills to passing. Can't do challenging passing/possession with 6 boys, they will fall much further behind the top tier boys.
    says who? You can do 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 +1 (you), 2v1, 3v2, 1v2,2v3....teaches you everything you need to know about the game.

Comment

says who? You can do 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 +1 (you), 2v1, 3v2, 1v2,2v3....teaches you everything you need to know about the game.
      Oh boy. Good luck.

Comment

My son is u10 in a club where both teams practice together as well. While he is 100 percent soccer and rarely misses soccer practice, other boys I see play up to 2 or 3 other activities. Not sure how succesful they are in any of them given that none get the full commitment. I think you need to let kids sort out what they like and enjoy and are good at, but as parents we need to help them sort out priorities over time and by a certain age, and get them to fully commit to certain things,especially if they are team based.

Comment

My son is u10 in a club where both teams practice together as well. While he is 100 percent soccer and rarely misses soccer practice, other boys I see play up to 2 or 3 other activities. Not sure how succesful they are in any of them given that none get the full commitment. I think you need to let kids sort out what they like and enjoy and are good at, but as parents we need to help them sort out priorities over time and by a certain age, and get them to fully commit to certain things,especially if they are team based.
          The other kids on your sons team are still young like yours. Let them explore. By U12 you will see who is in or fading, especially once you go 11v11. I personally would not stress but honestly was stressing when my kid was that age as well. That's my take.

Comment

Oh boy. Good luck.
            Players find themselves in these types of situation on the field all the time...don't you or didn't you play

Comment

Players find themselves in these types of situation on the field all the time...don't you or didn't you play
              Small sided games are great. Having players come at you from all directions while your teammates are covered cannot be done with three opponents. It seems that not only did you not play, you have never even seen a well run practice.

Comment

The other kids on your sons team are still young like yours. Let them explore. By U12 you will see who is in or fading, especially once you go 11v11. I personally would not stress but honestly was stressing when my kid was that age as well. That's my take.
                I stressed when my child was that age. I pleaded to specialize. I knew what would happen if he didn't. He told me that he loved playing all sports and wanted to continue playing 3 sports a season.

He is 13 now. He plays on a large club's B team. He also plays many other sports at the "B" level which ultimately is still pretty good. At the end of the day, he was right. I have not made this mistake with my youngest.

If a child wants to specialize that is in his DNA. Others do not. Clubs that specialize in specialized children have very strong willed coaches like FO. Some children thrive in that atmosphere. Others don't.

One size doesn't fit all. And it is best not to judge others approach.

Comment

Small sided games are great. Having players come at you from all directions while your teammates are covered cannot be done with three opponents. It seems that not only did you not play, you have never even seen a well run practice.
                  "Having players come at you from all directions while your teammates are covered"....Yea, their keeper is gonna get the ball from me in our defensive end....Ya never know...

Comment

OP here. Wanted to thank everyone for the various responses.

I'm well aware that the grass is always greener etc., was just curious if attendance issues were a normal thing.

My son has narrowed his sports down to soccer and then basketball. We fully believe in multiple sports but also in keeping your commitments. If there are conflicts, he prioritizes club over a rec/travel team where there is more commitment flexibility.

We'll likely check out a team practice/game or two this Spring and try to attend at least one other team tryout and see what happens.

Thanks again for all the feedback!

Comment

"Having players come at you from all directions while your teammates are covered"....Yea, their keeper is gonna get the ball from me in our defensive end....Ya never know...
                      Sounds like you are all set then, good luck!

Comment

I stressed when my child was that age. I pleaded to specialize. I knew what would happen if he didn't. He told me that he loved playing all sports and wanted to continue playing 3 sports a season.

He is 13 now. He plays on a large club's B team. He also plays many other sports at the "B" level which ultimately is still pretty good. At the end of the day, he was right. I have not made this mistake with my youngest.

If a child wants to specialize that is in his DNA. Others do not. Clubs that specialize in specialized children have very strong willed coaches like FO. Some children thrive in that atmosphere. Others don't.

One size doesn't fit all. And it is best not to judge others approach.

I completely agree with this post, I was the one who said every child was different and had another son who liked karate and baseball. My question is, at what point do you say 'no' to club soccer? What level team is not worth the time and $$ for people? C team? D team? Thoughts?

Comment

I completely agree with this post, I was the one who said every child was different and had another son who liked karate and baseball. My question is, at what point do you say 'no' to club soccer? What level team is not worth the time and $$ for people? C team? D team? Thoughts?
                          I guess it depends on your financial situation and if both you and your child can accept being on a low team. If the money is an issue I would say around U13, too bad these lower teams were not 800 to 1000 a year. The lower teams don't get the same treatment but have to pay the same, doesn't seem right.

Comment

I guess it depends on your financial situation and if both you and your child can accept being on a low team. If the money is an issue I would say around U13, too bad these lower teams were not 800 to 1000 a year. The lower teams don't get the same treatment but have to pay the same, doesn't seem right.
                            Also depends on your options. One of my kids still loved soccer but was on a "top" team a notch above his skill level. It was killing his confidence and enthusiasm. Our only other options within a reasonable distance (we have 3 kids and he was 11 at the time) was a mediocre club. We opted to go back to travel. We're lucky our town has a decent program and got even luckier with a great coach two years in a row. He became the stud on the team and his confidence skyrocketed. He had more time to work on basketball (which became his primary sport), we saved a lot of money and had more time on the weekends. He still plays soccer in HS and gets decent time considering he isn't a "club" player.

Every kid is different. I think once kids start going down one path some parents aren't willing to admit it isn't right for the kid. They need to evaluate what is driving those decisions - themselves or their child. If yours is perfectly happy and doing well/learning on a B or C team and you can afford the time and money, great. Accept that's where they belong.

Comment

So for us -- "No" comes when

1. It affects school which is absolutely comes first
                              2. My wife and I's personal life is impact. Daddy needs a little fun too
                              3. Other kids are affected. One child does not get to dominate the extra-curriculum schedule
                              4. The team/club is negatively impacted beyond an acceptable point
                              5. That the experience on a team/club is negatively impacting our son. i.e. confidence, etc.

This is just a rough list. Very rough

Comment

I love this idea.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X