Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    There are no athletic scholarships at elite New England prep schools. Period. Alex Morgan couldn't get one and neither could your kid LOL! Anyone who even suggests otherwise either has an agenda I cannot fathom or is simply imagining a conspiracy against their kid while being completely ignorant about prep school culture and governance. You have all heard about the isolated examples of a school playing games with FA and athletics. Why on earth would another school play with that fire? For what? Step back and look at the big picture folks.
    I don't think anyone has yet responded to the simple challenge. Name one. Name one school that has given athletic aid. Name one school that has juiced the financial aid to athletes.

Strike that. We can all name one. Exactly one. The challenge is to name a second.

Comment

I don't think anyone has yet responded to the simple challenge. Name one. Name one school that has given athletic aid. Name one school that has juiced the financial aid to athletes.

Strike that. We can all name one. Exactly one. The challenge is to name a second.
      It looks like nobody wants to claim they receive an athletic scholarship or special consideration in FA from a prep school. Even on an anonymous message board.

I guess the people making noise earlier must have been the I-know-a-guy-who-knows-a-guy types.

Comment

Send the globe to Nobles

Comment

It looks like nobody wants to claim they receive an athletic scholarship or special consideration in FA from a prep school. Even on an anonymous message board.

I guess the people making noise earlier must have been the I-know-a-guy-who-knows-a-guy types.
          Just because you don't want to believe it that doesn't make it not true. No rules get broken because the athletes are simply getting the financial aide that they qualify for. What is being discussed is no different than the spreads in "packages" one gets with all their kid's college acceptances. All the colleges basically get the same need number and make their own decisions who they will parcel out their money to. Prep schools are not doing anything different. The thing that really seems to piss you off is them making sure that their prized athletic recruits get their money ahead of some marginally talent kids like presumably yours was.

Comment

Just because you don't want to believe it that doesn't make it not true. No rules get broken because the athletes are simply getting the financial aide that they qualify for. What is being discussed is no different than the spreads in "packages" one gets with all their kid's college acceptances. All the colleges basically get the same need number and make their own decisions who they will parcel out their money to. Prep schools are not doing anything different. The thing that really seems to piss you off is them making sure that their prized athletic recruits get their money ahead of some marginally talent kids like presumably yours was.
            And the anxious backpedaling begins, but with the stubborn narcissism-driven insistence that there is no backpedaling.

Comment

And the anxious backpedaling begins, but with the stubborn narcissism-driven insistence that there is no backpedaling.
              All he had to say from the start is that highly recruited athletes, from prep school to D3 to Ivy, can get generous financial aid deals that wouldn't be available to students with a similar family resources profile. That claim would be true.

The argument is about nothing much. He says there is "athletic money"; you say there is no "athletic money." Strictly speaking, you're right. Practically speaking, he's right, since "financial aid" calculations can be and sometimes are gerrymandered specifically for highly recruited athletes--even if these calculations still take some account of financial need. But the fixation on trumpeting "athletic money" is bizarre.

Comment

All he had to say from the start is that highly recruited athletes, from prep school to D3 to Ivy, can get generous financial aid deals that wouldn't be available to students with a similar family resources profile. That claim would be true.

The argument is about nothing much. He says there is "athletic money"; you say there is no "athletic money." Strictly speaking, you're right. Practically speaking, he's right, since "financial aid" calculations can be and sometimes are gerrymandered specifically for highly recruited athletes--even if these calculations still take some account of financial need. But the fixation on trumpeting "athletic money" is bizarre.
                Based on need means based on need. I could the star status being more influential with admissions, from prep to D3 to Ivy, but once the same two families are admitted there should not be a huge difference in FA given to one family over another with all other things being equal. If this doesn't happen then that is "merit" or "athletic" which is not supposed to occur. If we were talking about finding a sneaky way to throw 5-10K to a family that might be different but when we are talking about near full rides, and that is the claim is this case, there is a serious problem. And those aren't the kinds of problems that most of these institutions would want to deal with nor are they kind of institutions that need to compromise themselves in such ways.

What we really have here is a poster who must insist he is getting a near full ride, having nothing to do with actual financial need, because maintaining that perception is a *****pin to so many of his other claims and agendas. That's what we're seeing here.

Comment

Except what you wrote completely flies in the face of how FA is supposed to work. If you got an admissions bump, that's fine, but parceling out better FA packages to one family over others where the level of need is the same (and in this case non-existent) immediately turns the FA process into a merit process. So you're suggesting that these hallowed institutions are backdooring merit and athletic aid through the cloak of the FA process, which, if true, means the FA process has no integrity at all. As for the last sentence, that's why we know you were the poster quoted in the other thread who supposedly isn't as far along as some recruits but has weekly phone calls with coaches to manage. You never fail to add the line accusing posters of calling you out because they are upset about having a kid who doesn't rate. Overly convenient and lazy thinking.

Comment

Based on need means based on need. I could the star status being more influential with admissions, from prep to D3 to Ivy, but once the same two families are admitted there should not be a huge difference in FA given to one family over another with all other things being equal. If this doesn't happen then that is "merit" or "athletic" which is not supposed to occur. If we were talking about finding a sneaky way to throw 5-10K to a family that might be different but when we are talking about near full rides, and that is the claim is this case, there is a serious problem. And those aren't the kinds of problems that most of these institutions would want to deal with nor are they kind of institutions that need to compromise themselves in such ways.

What we really have here is a poster who must insist he is getting a near full ride, having nothing to do with actual financial need, because maintaining that perception is a *****pin to so many of his other claims and agendas. That's what we're seeing here.
                    Nobody is going to share their prep financial aid status with a stupid message board group like we have here.

I know an ISL hockey coach who has told me many stories about the scramble he faces every year trying to secure top hockey players. Goalies are especially hard to come by and they often get in for 20% or less of the list price of the school.

Comment

This is UNTRUE. I realize it sounds like it could be true but it is simply not true. Do you think that people who manage high profile preparatory high schools are two-bit hustlers? Do you think they are incompetent or unethical? Do you think they could or would even want to get away with such a transparent fraud as you describe? As someone who has worked at and sent kids to the kind of school being discussed here I can CONFIDENTLY and UNRESERVEDLY tell you that schools DO NOT give any advantage in financial aid awards due to athletic (or any other) merit.

The ONLY (and I mean ONLY) way for a family to obtain additional aid from a reputable school that competes in the leagues being discussed here is by (1) successfully challenging the financial contribution calculation or (2) by having a competing offer from another school which really resolves itself through (1).

Successful challenges happen quite regularly because the array of special financial circumstances is surprisingly broad. You would be amazed at how poor a tool the standard financial aid formulas can be given the diversity of family situations and schools have a process to address that. Of course, the merit of the applicant can come into play with regard to how much diligence the office may put into the student's case. If he is a Westinghouse scholar (showing my age) they are going to take some time to understand the special financial case and give the kid every possible chance. If the student is a no-brainer first tier admit (perfect SSAT, tremendous individual achievement outside of school, special athlete, etc) who clearly has offers from competing schools they will get that look. The objective is to give every candidate that attention but it is not always possible. Usually, successful cases move the needle just a few thousand dollars per year. No student goes from full-pay to full-ride unless some very unique financial situation exists. I mean VERY unique. Ability to dunk will not facto in. To be very very very clear, the change from initial formula result to final result always has to do with "special" financial circumstances. If you do not have any basis to challenge the financial need calculation then you will not get a different result. Schools have internal and external auditors. There is a paper trail. No one is going to lose their job (and often their childrens' tuition benefit) to screw around with this. If people only understood how out of the question this was the entire sub-thread would die a sudden death.

Comment

Nobody is going to share their prep financial aid status with a stupid message board group like we have here.

I know an ISL hockey coach who has told me many stories about the scramble he faces every year trying to secure top hockey players. Goalies are especially hard to come by and they often get in for 20% or less of the list price of the school.
                        There is only one way this happens and the school knows nothing about it. I you look at the books and records of the school that goalie is paying sticker price. Your hockey coach friend is telling you part of the story because he doesn't particularly want you to know the other half.

Comment

This is UNTRUE. I realize it sounds like it could be true but it is simply not true. Do you think that people who manage high profile preparatory high schools are two-bit hustlers? Do you think they are incompetent or unethical? Do you think they could or would even want to get away with such a transparent fraud as you describe? As someone who has worked at and sent kids to the kind of school being discussed here I can CONFIDENTLY and UNRESERVEDLY tell you that schools DO NOT give any advantage in financial aid awards due to athletic (or any other) merit.

The ONLY (and I mean ONLY) way for a family to obtain additional aid from a reputable school that competes in the leagues being discussed here is by (1) successfully challenging the financial contribution calculation or (2) by having a competing offer from another school which really resolves itself through (1).

Successful challenges happen quite regularly because the array of special financial circumstances is surprisingly broad. You would be amazed at how poor a tool the standard financial aid formulas can be given the diversity of family situations and schools have a process to address that. Of course, the merit of the applicant can come into play with regard to how much diligence the office may put into the student's case. If he is a Westinghouse scholar (showing my age) they are going to take some time to understand the special financial case and give the kid every possible chance. If the student is a no-brainer first tier admit (perfect SSAT, tremendous individual achievement outside of school, special athlete, etc) who clearly has offers from competing schools they will get that look. The objective is to give every candidate that attention but it is not always possible. Usually, successful cases move the needle just a few thousand dollars per year. No student goes from full-pay to full-ride unless some very unique financial situation exists. I mean VERY unique. Ability to dunk will not facto in. To be very very very clear, the change from initial formula result to final result always has to do with "special" financial circumstances. If you do not have any basis to challenge the financial need calculation then you will not get a different result. Schools have internal and external auditors. There is a paper trail. No one is going to lose their job (and often their childrens' tuition benefit) to screw around with this. If people only understood how out of the question this was the entire sub-thread would die a sudden death.
                          Than you. I can tell you this is similar to how collegiate financial aid works as well except for the fact that we have a special concept called the athletic scholarship. Because of the risk of mixing heavily regulated athletic monies with other forms of aid (financial, academic, special mission and other merit) colleges have similar governance and audit procedures that ensure no athletic aid is received in stealth forms. Has it ever happened? Of course, and there are some well publicized cases that have led to even greater NCAA restrictions. But no school wants to come anywhere near the line anymore. The risk-reward proposition makes it worse than foolish.

Comment

The ONLY (and I mean ONLY) way for a family to obtain additional aid from a reputable school that competes in the leagues being discussed here is by (1) successfully challenging the financial contribution calculation or (2) by having a competing offer from another school which really resolves itself....
                            Feel free to believe whatever suits you, at whatever length. I'll continue to believe what I personally know to be true.

Comment

Feel free to believe whatever suits you, at whatever length. I'll continue to believe what I personally know to be true.
                              Find something real to be proud of your kids for. Your earning less money per year than their tuition is nothing to be ashamed of but nothing to throw a parade for either. You keep telling everyone that she got a full-ride to Nobles or Groton and we'll keep thinking you are pathetic.

Be careful not to tell people she got a 2500 on her SATs too, by the way. A lot of people are going to be able to sniff that out pretty quick.

Comment

Is your daughter's name "Chuck Norris"?

If not, STFU!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X