Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oregon Club Politics and Salaries

It has become common in Oregon and Washington to see DOCs earning 100k plus even though they are operating as a non profit. Interesting considering what a non profit per OYSA is supposed to be.

Even though this is anonymous platform there are a few politically motivated individuals who keep naming coaches they don't like and have a certain view of.

With all of the above being said...what DOC in Oregon deserves earning over 40K when there is clear evidence these clubs can't produce players even on a regional level?

Of those fly by night coaches people keep stating there are...explain to me how they pocket more money when they are in a constant "rebuild" stage and are only taking 1 or 2 teams with them?

I'd appreciate some insights as there seems to be a lot discussion on OR and WA threads but hardly any pertaining to how to progress Oregon Youth Soccer.

Well, if you take on 100k salary the club won’t be profitable and therefore “non profit”

🤷🏻*♂️

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      It has become common in Oregon and Washington to see DOCs earning 100k plus even though they are operating as a non profit. Interesting considering what a non profit per OYSA is supposed to be.

Even though this is anonymous platform there are a few politically motivated individuals who keep naming coaches they don't like and have a certain view of.

With all of the above being said...what DOC in Oregon deserves earning over 40K when there is clear evidence these clubs can't produce players even on a regional level?

Of those fly by night coaches people keep stating there are...explain to me how they pocket more money when they are in a constant "rebuild" stage and are only taking 1 or 2 teams with them?

I'd appreciate some insights as there seems to be a lot discussion on OR and WA threads but hardly any pertaining to how to progress Oregon Youth Soccer.
      On one hand, six-figure salaries may be hard to justify.

On the other hand--$40k/year is pretty low pay for what is a full-time job with considerable adminstrative duties.

Someone a few years ago looked up the salary of the Westside DoC on Guidestar, and it was in the neighborhood of $80k to $90k; certainly under six figures. This was actually on the lower end of the scale, and I would argue that Cony is one of the more successful directors in the era--even if you don't like Westside's coaching style (though the famously old-school Cony is getting soft in his old age :P), his club has a lot of trophies in the case, AND an impressive roster of alumni.

I think a bigger problem is outside of the position of DoC, with very few exceptions, "youth soccer coach" isn't a family wage gig. For most who do it it is a part-time position, the hours are irregular, and most youth coaches have a hard time handling more than two teams (if for no other reason than schedules really start to conflict).

This may be a reason why we're seeing an uptick in coaches starting their own clubs, rather than simply working for an established one. It's not really about "the director at FC Suburbia is a dinosaur who knows nothing of modern football", it's about getting the director's salary, not the salary of a part-time coach. But there's a lot of overhead in youth soccer (fields, league fees, insurance, equipment), so unless you're running a large club, there's not much money there either.

A business model that seems to be working (locally) is combining professional training with a youth club, and upselling like heck. ADF has been successful at that, though OYSA seems to be cracking down on this sort of thing, as the folks at SCA are reportedly discovering.

Comment

I have no issue with a DOC making 100k. BTW, I didn't know they make that. Good for them! Non profit, who cares. Lots of non profits pay employees a lot of money. That can be a bit disingenuous but it's been around forever.

Ultimately these organizations $ucce$$ and $urvival is determined by the customers; the parents. They pay 1500 a year for their kids to be on these teams. Are their clubs taking this kind of money only to get beat up in D2 blue, yes.

Are clubs and coaches dishonest when they sell the notion of D1 scholarships and WNT dreams? Do you blame the lion for eating the zebra?

There are many clubs in the region who have been created for the sole purpose of providing OYSA league play to compete against the big money clubs; using almost all volunteers. Saints, whom I have no affiliation, is just one of them.

Costs alone for fall, spring and 3 summer tournaments would cost about 4,000. If you have 15 players thats about $265 each. There are some clubs that are successful in OYSA leagues that are charging this.

I have been both in a big money club and "boutique neighborhood club."

I started out cutting a check and I was happy to just be a fan.

It is up to the parents to decide what is best for them.

The cost, where the money goes, doesn't need to be a secret. And there are clubs on both ends of the spectrum for parents to decide.

Comment

Public

The non profits salaries are public knowledge, why don't you post facts and not generalizations. I think you will be surprised by some of the numbers.

You should also list number of coaches managed, players in the club, and facilities built and managed.

Many clubs are multi million dollar organizations that have served a community need. Look at PCU and what they managed with very few people. Several parks, several rec clubs it is a massive organization.

I think that is what gets people riled up. Some of the new clubs what that six figure income but don't want to start and manage rec clubs. They are simply removing money from the current infra structure. How many rec clubs are managed by PCU, Eastside, and WA Timbers.

Comment

This is a strange post, because in order to ask and argue the compensation of a DOC, we need to actually understand what a DOCs role is. Every single DOC at every club has a different role.

You seem to be under the impression that DOCs should be compensated based on the talent their club produces. This is completely subjective and not realistic considering that a DOCs job description is quite extensive and honestly, has very little to do with on-field work.

Comment

This is a strange post, because in order to ask and argue the compensation of a DOC, we need to actually understand what a DOCs role is. Every single DOC at every club has a different role.

You seem to be under the impression that DOCs should be compensated based on the talent their club produces. This is completely subjective and not realistic considering that a DOCs job description is quite extensive and honestly, has very little to do with on-field work.
              Many soccer clubs have a primarily recreational or community purpose--their job is NOT to produce "talent", meaning players who will one day play for compensation (whether a college scholarship or a professional contract). I would say that is true of everything in town except the Timbers or the Thorns Academies.

Rather, their job is to run a soccer club, and arrange for the teaching of the game to children, as well as organizing games for the kids to play in. "Teaching the game to children" refers to all levels--teaching the very basics to small children in uLittles, up to teaching advanced tactics to a team of high-school sophomores with hopes of playing collegiately.

Now, the title "director of coaching" generally implies supervision of coaching staff--hiring and firing coaches, setting curriculum, and that sort of thing. It may or may not handle other sorts of logistics and business arrangements. Some clubs have a house style that they enforce throughout their programs, others don't.

And some directors of coaching, unfortunately, focus on a few marquee teams at the club, often coaching those themselves, and let everything else run on autopilot.

Comment

A DOC’s job is considered the top job to cause divorce. I’ve watch our DOC WORK 60-70 hours a week. Most of those hours are prime time family time hours because that’s when teams train. Weekends? Yep, forget hanging out with daddy if your dad is a DOC because he’s gone. It’s a thankless job that I wouldn’t do for $200k

Comment

A DOC’s job is considered the top job to cause divorce. I’ve watch our DOC WORK 60-70 hours a week. Most of those hours are prime time family time hours because that’s when teams train. Weekends? Yep, forget hanging out with daddy if your dad is a DOC because he’s gone. It’s a thankless job that I wouldn’t do for $200k
                  You're words having nothing to do with the post you're commentating on. Keep your dumb thoughts to yourself, nobody cares about your idiotic opinions. It's great that you don't want the job of a DOC. Nobody cares though.

Comment

DOC Pay

Many soccer clubs have a primarily recreational or community purpose--their job is NOT to produce "talent", meaning players who will one day play for compensation (whether a college scholarship or a professional contract). I would say that is true of everything in town except the Timbers or the Thorns Academies.

Rather, their job is to run a soccer club, and arrange for the teaching of the game to children, as well as organizing games for the kids to play in. "Teaching the game to children" refers to all levels--teaching the very basics to small children in uLittles, up to teaching advanced tactics to a team of high-school sophomores with hopes of playing collegiately.

Now, the title "director of coaching" generally implies supervision of coaching staff--hiring and firing coaches, setting curriculum, and that sort of thing. It may or may not handle other sorts of logistics and business arrangements. Some clubs have a house style that they enforce throughout their programs, others don't.

And some directors of coaching, unfortunately, focus on a few marquee teams at the club, often coaching those themselves, and let everything else run on autopilot.
                    The PCU group certainly falls into the group mentioned above. They run three or four rec clubs, PCU comp, and three or facilities, some for the city of Portland and they do it well. While everyone is rebranding PCU is still just PCU. The result is kids have fun, some go to college, all have great memories.

Comment

Keep your dumb thoughts to yourself, nobody cares about your idiotic opinions.
                      Is that verbatim what your wife said to you this morning? That’s harsh.

Might be time to pack up your tiny hands and move on.

Comment

Working hard doesn’t mean working smart and that is the problem with most DOC’s.... most aren’t very bright and would have a tough time holding a real job. Then you have the fat and lazy like what you will find at LO.

Comment

Working hard doesn’t mean working smart and that is the problem with most DOC’s.... most aren’t very bright and would have a tough time holding a real job. Then you have the fat and lazy like what you will find at LO.
                          I am pretty sure they aren't even trying anymore at LOSC. And what is the deal with their PDP boy's director advertising his private training on LO's website and using the club as a recruitment tool? How is that not a conflict of interest?

Comment

The PCU group certainly falls into the group mentioned above. They run three or four rec clubs, PCU comp, and three or facilities, some for the city of Portland and they do it well. While everyone is rebranding PCU is still just PCU. The result is kids have fun, some go to college, all have great memories.
                            How do we know that PCU runs the City's facilities well? How do we know that they are maximizing revenue and usage, or being equitable? You can't really say that.

Comment

How do we know that PCU runs the City's facilities well? How do we know that they are maximizing revenue and usage, or being equitable? You can't really say that.
                              There aren't a lot of complaints. It's not as though Consumer Reports is going to come down and evaluate youth soccer programs and award them a Best Buy rating.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X