Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Thanks. I wouldn't take any loans other than the federal max. It's good for students to have some skin in the game but it has to be manageable. Parents should never take out loans to pay for their kids college.

Agree with this. Having access to a school like UF for little or no money is something to consider if it is going to cost you to play out of state. Reality is, 99% will not play past college. No point in continuing to pay unless there is true benefit like access to a better school than our states best.

Comment

Agree with this. Having access to a school like UF for little or no money is something to consider if it is going to cost you to play out of state. Reality is, 99% will not play past college. No point in continuing to pay unless there is true benefit like access to a better school than our states best.
      In the end it is a family decision. If your player want to play and you can afford it then why not? I mean, sororities cost $3000 - $5000 a year so why not an extra $3000/yr to stay involved in a sport instead?

Comment

In the end it is a family decision. If your player want to play and you can afford it then why not? I mean, sororities cost $3000 - $5000 a year so why not an extra $3000/yr to stay involved in a sport instead?

Wasn't referring to families who have discretionary income like that. Most folks are looking at how they can afford a college education, not paying for social clubs. That is not a dig by the way, just reality. Your kid is lucky to have parents that can support that financially.

Comment

No one is implying that "one size fits all".

However IMO most soccer players, if they are NOT playing at a D1 in-state school, will have to pay MUCH more money out of pocket to play out of state at any level or an at in state D2 school. So I'm not sure if the comparison to join a sorority is apples to apples.

Comment

Wow, a Talking Soccer thread with useful information and no haters. Thanks to all contributors..

Comment

Wow, a Talking Soccer thread with useful information and no haters. Thanks to all contributors..
              Don't jinx it... you'll attract the trolls. ;)

Comment

Silly comparison. If a player gets a deal for half off a $60,000 a year school (which is a typical deal and the $60K is in the lower end for many of the nation's top schools) that's $120,000 the family has to somehow cover over four years. It's just not an option for many soccer families who make enough to afford club soccer but not enough to afford college. Now I would still encourage people to look out of state to play because if a coach and school really want you the package may be much better. You never know. But keep those local schools as your financial safeties

Comment

Silly comparison. If a player gets a deal for half off a $60,000 a year school (which is a typical deal and the $60K is in the lower end for many of the nation's top schools) that's $120,000 the family has to somehow cover over four years. It's just not an option for many soccer families who make enough to afford club soccer but not enough to afford college. Now I would still encourage people to look out of state to play because if a coach and school really want you the package may be much better. You never know. But keep those local schools as your financial safeties
                  An extreme comparison perhaps but not silly. My kid will be attending a northern school with an approx all cost for tuition, fees and living of $76K. Received $58K in academic grants and some private scholarship (though school specific) for STEM students with GPA and ACT/SAT scores over a certain bar. Work program study picks up another $5K. That leaves $13K to attend and play at a very good school.

My kids were born in Florida but I am transplant for some 22 years now, a BC alumni and admittedly biased toward northern schools. If my kid was not playing, UF or UM would probably be our only Florida considerations. I do understand that not everyone can swing $13K/yr but ECNL and then DA were certainly not cheap either. I made the mistake last year of adding up all the recipients including hotel, gas and food for us going to watch out of state games occasionally...won't do that again.

Comment

An extreme comparison perhaps but not silly. My kid will be attending a northern school with an approx all cost for tuition, fees and living of $76K. Received $58K in academic grants and some private scholarship (though school specific) for STEM students with GPA and ACT/SAT scores over a certain bar. Work program study picks up another $5K. That leaves $13K to attend and play at a very good school.

My kids were born in Florida but I am transplant for some 22 years now, a BC alumni and admittedly biased toward northern schools. If my kid was not playing, UF or UM would probably be our only Florida considerations. I do understand that not everyone can swing $13K/yr but ECNL and then DA were certainly not cheap either. I made the mistake last year of adding up all the recipients including hotel, gas and food for us going to watch out of state games occasionally...won't do that again.
                    No the op is right - comparing $4K a year for an optional social experience is very different than $20K a year for academics (you know, the main reason you should pick a school). Your example on the high end for even for females. Boys forget it. A boy getting 50% is doing very well.

A student with top grades and scores will be appealing to schools and coaches and will have more options. Plenty of middle to upper income soccer families can afford $20-30 a year and feel the difference in academics and experience is well worth it. Others just can't do it or are debt adverse. Not everyone wants to stay in state regardless of finances. But given the rarity of full rides most likely you're going to pay something.

Comment

No the op is right - comparing $4K a year for an optional social experience is very different than $20K a year for academics (you know, the main reason you should pick a school). Your example on the high end for even for females. Boys forget it. A boy getting 50% is doing very well.

A student with top grades and scores will be appealing to schools and coaches and will have more options. Plenty of middle to upper income soccer families can afford $20-30 a year and feel the difference in academics and experience is well worth it. Others just can't do it or are debt adverse. Not everyone wants to stay in state regardless of finances. But given the rarity of full rides most likely you're going to pay something.
                      See your point on the boys side and yes you will pay something for girls too. As I stated though, shes going to a very good northern school and soccer was one of the steps getting in. You have to admit, the in state options comparatively speaking educationally are a little limited. UF is arguably the best in state school followed by UM, FSU, UCF and you can throw in USF so nobody's feeling get hurt. The D2 options are OK but not great depending on your major and what your kids want to do with their life.

Again, I realize not all can afford $13K or more a year and respect the work just to get their kids into college. Luckily, Florid BF is a big help for most if they have grades but the reality is how many are going to play soccer as the big 4 are all top 10 or 15 programs....except for UM.

Comment

See your point on the boys side and yes you will pay something for girls too. As I stated though, shes going to a very good northern school and soccer was one of the steps getting in. You have to admit, the in state options comparatively speaking educationally are a little limited. UF is arguably the best in state school followed by UM, FSU, UCF and you can throw in USF so nobody's feeling get hurt. The D2 options are OK but not great depending on your major and what your kids want to do with their life.

Again, I realize not all can afford $13K or more a year and respect the work just to get their kids into college. Luckily, Florid BF is a big help for most if they have grades but the reality is how many are going to play soccer as the big 4 are all top 10 or 15 programs....except for UM.
                        Agreed. There are much better and more options for kids that have D1 ability out of state compared to those in state.

The philosophy for MY FAMILY is that if my daughter wants to attend a school out of state for soccer then my out of pocket cost needs to be equal to or slightly higher than what I would have to pay if she were to stay in state. She has Florida Prepaid and a 529. She should qualify for the 100% tuition Bright Futures. Those 3 things alone, without anything else added, would cover about 2/3 of the cost to attend any state university (UF and UCF) that she is interested in attending as a "regular" student. So if an out of state school were to cost more what we'd have to pay, which it most definitely will, then the total scholarship package (academic and athletic) better be able to make the cost to attend that out of state school in the same ball park than it would an in state school. If my daughter wants to incur a huge debt to attend that school then we (mainly she) needs to make a well thought out decision. However for us it helps to have an older sibling, who will be graduating in a year DEBT FREE, to help offer advice.

Again...that's our philosophy. To each his own.

apologies for any typos.

Comment

Agreed. There are much better and more options for kids that have D1 ability out of state compared to those in state.

The philosophy for MY FAMILY is that if my daughter wants to attend a school out of state for soccer then my out of pocket cost needs to be equal to or slightly higher than what I would have to pay if she were to stay in state. She has Florida Prepaid and a 529. She should qualify for the 100% tuition Bright Futures. Those 3 things alone, without anything else added, would cover about 2/3 of the cost to attend any state university (UF and UCF) that she is interested in attending as a "regular" student. So if an out of state school were to cost more what we'd have to pay, which it most definitely will, then the total scholarship package (academic and athletic) better be able to make the cost to attend that out of state school in the same ball park than it would an in state school. If my daughter wants to incur a huge debt to attend that school then we (mainly she) needs to make a well thought out decision. However for us it helps to have an older sibling, who will be graduating in a year DEBT FREE, to help offer advice.

Again...that's our philosophy. To each his own.

apologies for any typos.

Smart plan.

Comment

Good thread.

Comment

So many options besides D1... so few actually reach that level. And if you do... chances are you are not going to play over the kids from other countries that are getting all the scholarship money.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X