Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I you really feeling children. That is sick.
    Failing your child

Comment

I’m not a coach, I’m a parent that actually parents and my kid is respectful.

Also one that was once a stupid kid doing burn outs after practice, and banging the girls from the soccer team. Who cares.

I’d pull my kids off a team if some coach couldn’t figure out what their actual job is.
      Yeah, OK, I believe the last line....

Comment

As a youth coach you have zero business forcing kids to do anything for the national song.

You’d lose in a principle argument and sound like a hypocrite.

Most of these kids know zero to nothing on politics and the ones that do should be free do do as they wish.
        Guess it depends on what kind of players you have. Are you going to bench them because what they did at their HS game 6 months earlier. No.

Comment

Yeah, OK, I believe the last line....
          You don’t have to believe me random internet person, but I absolutely could and would.

Comment

You don’t have to believe me random internet person, but I absolutely could and would.
            I'd rather be remember as the kid who was banging all the girls on the soccer team than the washed up dad who would take his kid off a team if the coach told him to stay in school and get good grades.

Comment

You guys are completely wrong and missing the point. It is my job as a coach to help your child build a great set of character skills and traits. How to be a good teammate, accountable, respectful, honest and hard-working. Those are only a few character traits that I help children build and develop . It is not just my job to teach the game. It is my job as a coach to help your child develop life skills so they can survive on this planet when they’re on their own. These children do not get to develop those skills in the public school system. If you think differently than you were feeling your child
              You are a self important nut and probably work for the government who thinks as a whole they should be the 'parent' of all children.

A coach should be teaching the sport. The other things you describe are the job of the parent. If you have a player whose behavior is disruptive, deal with that isolated situation but otherwise leave any character issues alone because it sounds like you missed some very important lessons along the way yourself.

Comment

You guys are completely wrong and missing the point. It is my job as a coach to help your child build a great set of character skills and traits. How to be a good teammate, accountable, respectful, honest and hard-working. Those are only a few character traits that I help children build and develop . It is not just my job to teach the game. It is my job as a coach to help your child develop life skills so they can survive on this planet when they’re on their own. These children do not get to develop those skills in the public school system. If you think differently than you were feeling your child
                Keep your kids away from arrogant windbags like this guy. Your job is to coach your players. Those coming from families that teach respect and hard work will exhibit that on and off the field. They will be respectful of coaches, refs and support their teammates because they learn those lessons at home. A coach might supplement that but your influence is very limited.

Comment

Their is a broad spectrum of coaches. You have coaches that see their relationship as purely transactional. You pay them, they coach, they work for Club X. On the other end you have parent coaches, maybe their kid is on the team or maybe their kid has aged out and they stick around, maybe they helped create the "community club." You also have coaches that range in age from 18 to 70 and they have different ideas about what their responsibilities and some coaches are more comfortable talking about things besides tactics.

FWIW, coaches this year had to do a fairly extensive training on bullying, sexual conduct, being a mandatory reporter, etc. Most every club has some kind of policy, even the "big time" ones run like a business on how to address this stuff. People that say a coaches job is to only teach them soccer might want to take a look at their club policies.

I've had players with parents going through a divorce or family member die and been brought in the loop. I've had issues with the the wrong parent picking up a kid. I had a teenage player show up at my house high late at night. I had a player call me crying because he got a ticket. And I had a player tell me he thinks he got a girl pregnant.

Not to mention seeing players in the community and becoming aware of their conduct.

The relationship and expectation are different but to say the coach is just going to have a transactional relationship is ignorant and short sighted.

Don't like it, check with your club and see where they stand.

What's interesting for me is my oldest has aged out and went onto a different club. His coach was also the DOC and didn't have a kid on the team. He was all about conduct off the pitch.

Comment

Their is a broad spectrum of coaches. You have coaches that see their relationship as purely transactional. You pay them, they coach, they work for Club X. On the other end you have parent coaches, maybe their kid is on the team or maybe their kid has aged out and they stick around, maybe they helped create the "community club." You also have coaches that range in age from 18 to 70 and they have different ideas about what their responsibilities and some coaches are more comfortable talking about things besides tactics.

FWIW, coaches this year had to do a fairly extensive training on bullying, sexual conduct, being a mandatory reporter, etc. Most every club has some kind of policy, even the "big time" ones run like a business on how to address this stuff. People that say a coaches job is to only teach them soccer might want to take a look at their club policies.

I've had players with parents going through a divorce or family member die and been brought in the loop. I've had issues with the the wrong parent picking up a kid. I had a teenage player show up at my house high late at night. I had a player call me crying because he got a ticket. And I had a player tell me he thinks he got a girl pregnant.

Not to mention seeing players in the community and becoming aware of their conduct.

The relationship and expectation are different but to say the coach is just going to have a transactional relationship is ignorant and short sighted.

Don't like it, check with your club and see where they stand.

What's interesting for me is my oldest has aged out and went onto a different club. His coach was also the DOC and didn't have a kid on the team. He was all about conduct off the pitch.
                    You are spot on. Some of these patents are clueless. I actually think as coaches we just show up and teach the game only. My job as a coach is a teach life skills through the game. I want the kids to develop a lifelong love of the game while learning life skills. What it means to be a good teammate. Learning how to win. Learning how to lose. There’s a long list of things that kids learn while playing competitive sports and it’s my job as a coach to teach them those things.

Comment

You are spot on. Some of these patents are clueless. I actually think as coaches we just show up and teach the game only. My job as a coach is a teach life skills through the game. I want the kids to develop a lifelong love of the game while learning life skills. What it means to be a good teammate. Learning how to win. Learning how to lose. There’s a long list of things that kids learn while playing competitive sports and it’s my job as a coach to teach them those things.
                      This, along with basic matters such as discipline and respect.

Coaches, on the other hand, shouldn't be getting involved with things such as religion or politics (and this goes both for the coach that wants to lead the team in prayer, and the coach who wants to get the team involved in Pride events). I'm excluding church teams teams associated with religious schools, etc.

And some things that a coach might want to teach as "values" that aren't necessary to order and discipline on a soccer team, may not be shared by all families on the team.

Comment

This, along with basic matters such as discipline and respect.

Coaches, on the other hand, shouldn't be getting involved with things such as religion or politics (and this goes both for the coach that wants to lead the team in prayer, and the coach who wants to get the team involved in Pride events). I'm excluding church teams teams associated with religious schools, etc.

And some things that a coach might want to teach as "values" that aren't necessary to order and discipline on a soccer team, may not be shared by all families on the team.
                        Which is why they should just stick to team matters only - work hard, support each other, respect each other, your competitors and the refs. Be on time, actually be early because you're not that important that being late will be tolerated. That's it.

Coaches have to tread very, very carefully befriending a player. There's just too much crazy sh** going on these days.

Comment

Dear OP,

In a town like Portland, many people have different beliefs.

Look at Catlin Gable. Not only did they talk about how great communism is over the speaker before the game. The kids did not stand for the national anthem. It was in stark contrast to the other team where they all stood with their hands over their hears and looked at the flag.

Comment

Dear OP,

Look at Catlin Gable. Not only did they talk about how great communism is over the speaker before the game. The kids did not stand for the national anthem. It was in stark contrast to the other team where they all stood with their hands over their hears and looked at the flag.
                            This is funny, if true. Were communists to take over, kids at Catlin Gable would be the first to be lined up against the wall and shot.

Comment

Dear OP,

FWIW, my HS girls team lost to them in the State Championship in the 90's. I think they won it 15 years in a row.

Comment

FWIW, my HS girls team lost to them in the State Championship in the 90's. I think they won it 15 years in a row.
                                Along with everyone else.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X