Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reign FC moving to Tacoma. What happens to Reign Academy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Why do you think the NWSL is going to fold?
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.bb1136f97ba1

Comment

You are so funny! I love getting a comedy show with my morning cup of Joe! Cheers 🍻 - keep it comin’!!
      Not sure why you found that funny what the person said. Ask board members with Washington state youth soccer and coaches all around the state. Everyone will be shocked if reign survives by itself. Look up online how many clubs have or are leaving girls Da. It's astonishing. 2 years ago everyone was wondering which league would survive and its obvious to everyone now ecnl has grabbed the power back and taken control of the top girls soccer league. Many clubs are evening considering pulling out from the Da on the boys side.

Good or bad, soccer is a business here and with reign losing funding from two clubs and now players to filter up into the da, it does not have the business model and funding to survive or be competetive.

Comment

Not sure why you found that funny what the person said. Ask board members with Washington state youth soccer and coaches all around the state. Everyone will be shocked if reign survives by itself. Look up online how many clubs have or are leaving girls Da. It's astonishing. 2 years ago everyone was wondering which league would survive and its obvious to everyone now ecnl has grabbed the power back and taken control of the top girls soccer league. Many clubs are evening considering pulling out from the Da on the boys side.

Good or bad, soccer is a business here and with reign losing funding from two clubs and now players to filter up into the da, it does not have the business model and funding to survive or be competetive.
        Reign business model is to create the best training environment possible for girls in the Seattle area . Check out a practice... You will find 16-18 girls with ample field space (usually half of a field) training with a head coach, a dedicated goalie coach, an athletic trainer, one or two Reign FC women players (Oyster/Yanez) acting as assistant coaches, and a technical director in attendance. Training is 4 days a week. Is this happening at other clubs? Some have bought into the model while others have not. They are promoting tryouts through discovery sessions and then attending practice if their is mutual interest.

Who stands to lose if Reign academy fails? Girls in the Seattle area who will lose out on this opportunity
        Who stands to gain if Reign fails? Big clubs in Seattle area that want to maintain the status quo.

You can make the argument that this is all about GDA versus ECNL , but it is not. It is about choices. Watch the big clubs try to snuff out Reign. Keep the market share, continue the cattle-call tryouts on the same day, reserve an eighth of a field per team to practice on. Are they really investing in making the girls better soccer players or is soccer a commodity being sold to run the business. Yes, ECNL allows girls to play high school soccer and Yes, ECNL allows big clubs to not have to worry about paying coaches/field space for the entire Fall...

Comment

If the Reign can get enough funding outside of player fees, they may survive if the league survives. If they can't (most likely) they will fold up shop sooner than later. I think we can all agree on that.

Hope they make it but I highly doubt it.

Comment

Personally I hope every big club in the area folds . They have completely forgotten the true principles of soccer . It’s the worlds game as anyone can play it , rich . Poor , fields or just a dirt track . Youth sports should not be a business, where very average coaches and directors can make a decent living on a lie . Rec soccer has all but died , select will be next ! Then the monopolisation will continue until the game we all love dies a very slow and painful death in the US. Then we can all argue over the next fad sport that comes into vogue .

Comment

Reign business model is to create the best training environment possible for girls in the Seattle area . Check out a practice... You will find 16-18 girls with ample field space (usually half of a field) training with a head coach, a dedicated goalie coach, an athletic trainer, one or two Reign FC women players (Oyster/Yanez) acting as assistant coaches, and a technical director in attendance. Training is 4 days a week. Is this happening at other clubs? Some have bought into the model while others have not. They are promoting tryouts through discovery sessions and then attending practice if their is mutual interest.

Who stands to lose if Reign academy fails? Girls in the Seattle area who will lose out on this opportunity
              Who stands to gain if Reign fails? Big clubs in Seattle area that want to maintain the status quo.

You can make the argument that this is all about GDA versus ECNL , but it is not. It is about choices. Watch the big clubs try to snuff out Reign. Keep the market share, continue the cattle-call tryouts on the same day, reserve an eighth of a field per team to practice on. Are they really investing in making the girls better soccer players or is soccer a commodity being sold to run the business. Yes, ECNL allows girls to play high school soccer and Yes, ECNL allows big clubs to not have to worry about paying coaches/field space for the entire Fall...
              That's not a business plan, that is a mission statement it sounds like. The reign fc women are now in Tacoma and wont be around anymore. My kid trains with Yanez and she has already said it's going to be impossible to continue coming north now that the pro team has moved south. Alone, reign Da wont have the money to pay the top coaches, pay the athletic trainers, allow any scholarship funding to an athlete that might be talented enough for Da. Essentially making it an elitist rich program for the top 10% money wise in the area and not for the top 10% player skill wise.

Comment

[QUOTE= Essentially making it an elitist rich program for the top 10% money wise in the area and not for the top 10% player skill wise.[/QUOTE]

You have to be kidding me right ? Since when has soccer in this area been anything but for the top 10%? The amounts given in scholarships is tiny maybe at best one player per age group . Every single ‘premier’ option in this area is elitist let’s stop Pretending otherwise .

Comment

Most clubs care about their stars

Someone up thread said Reign doesn't care about their players. As former Reign parent, I agree. Like most clubs, they care first and foremost about their stars. The way tryouts were handled last year that left so many players who'd been with the club hanging was evidence of that. There are good people at the Reign organization, but again, growing pains, financial pressures, and pressure to win lead to less-than-ideal decisions sometimes. A perk was working with the. Reign players directly, who were great, but my kid has found ECNL to be a better environment that is truly about the development of ALL players. Some of that may be her specific coach vs the club. The sub rules in DA work against player development, but so does favoritism and negative coaching, which is what we saw.

Comment

Someone up thread said Reign doesn't care about their players. As former Reign parent, I agree. Like most clubs, they care first and foremost about their stars. The way tryouts were handled last year that left so many players who'd been with the club hanging was evidence of that. There are good people at the Reign organization, but again, growing pains, financial pressures, and pressure to win lead to less-than-ideal decisions sometimes. A perk was working with the. Reign players directly, who were great, but my kid has found ECNL to be a better environment that is truly about the development of ALL players. Some of that may be her specific coach vs the club. The sub rules in DA work against player development, but so does favoritism and negative coaching, which is what we saw.
                    Sorry for your experience, but you walked right into it.
                    I remember during the informational meetings and KC
                    told us directly that DA is for the .01%. The girls
                    who can make the YNT and ultimately the NT.
                    We are not about college, but you can go play in
                    college if you wish. That is the mission statement.
                    Parents forget the details and fine print when
                    things don't happen the way they want it.
                    DA is about the stars, not the team.

So, almost all you are the 99.99% of players,
                    including mine. That's ok b/c college and hopefully
                    playing in college are the the goals for most of our
                    kids. Go where your kid is wanted and valued. Simple.

Comment

Who is the DA for?

I hear what you're saying -- my kid joined Reign at inception, before KC was involved, so we didn't get that talk.

Yes, it's the feeder for the national team -- except all of those girls in DA will never make it to the national team, and never even get a call in to camp. So the bulk of the players are there for what purpose? To be used to give the top of the top kids to play against? Yeah, sure, that's part of it, but if you are taking parents' money, and theoretically collecting the best players in the area, don't you have a responsibility to all of those kids? Not to mention the fact that designating stars at the expense of other talented players hurts the sport overall...and I don't mean the stars who are actually on the Youth National Teams -- they are earning their kudos! I'm talking about coaches' "stars" -- the favorites withing the team whose development and playing time is prioritized over the other girls who are also amazing

Comment

Sorry for your experience, but you walked right into it.
                        I remember during the informational meetings and KC
                        told us directly that DA is for the .01%. The girls
                        who can make the YNT and ultimately the NT.
                        We are not about college, but you can go play in
                        college if you wish. That is the mission statement.
                        Parents forget the details and fine print when
                        things don't happen the way they want it.
                        DA is about the stars, not the team.

So, almost all you are the 99.99% of players,
                        including mine. That's ok b/c college and hopefully
                        playing in college are the the goals for most of our
                        kids. Go where your kid is wanted and valued. Simple.
                        That doesn’t sound like KC at all, although it does sound like how US Soccer views DA (and could well be its downfall over the next couple years). It also sounds like something the former technical director, TK, may have said, although she too took a genuine interest in all the players, and was always willing to give college advice or reach out to a coach. That part of the program wasn’t great early on, but it has improved over time. With the exception of a couple kids who had poorly timed term injuries everyone on the oldest team has landed in a good place to play in college, and KC and the coaches have been helpful throughout the process. Several 02/03 kids are committed too, and others who aren’t getting looks for the gnt teams are getting a lot of interest from colleges. My kid isn’t in the .01%, but she has been happy with the program and recommend it to others. That said, both the Reign and GDA face some very real challenges going forward, and while I’m pretty confident they’ll be fine next year I wouldn’t give them better than even odds beyond that, but more because of GDA’s inflexibility and lack of business sense than anything on the part of the Reign.

Comment

That doesn’t sound like KC at all, although it does sound like how US Soccer views DA (and could well be its downfall over the next couple years). It also sounds like something the former technical director, TK, may have said, although she too took a genuine interest in all the players, and was always willing to give college advice or reach out to a coach. That part of the program wasn’t great early on, but it has improved over time. With the exception of a couple kids who had poorly timed term injuries everyone on the oldest team has landed in a good place to play in college, and KC and the coaches have been helpful throughout the process. Several 02/03 kids are committed too, and others who aren’t getting looks for the gnt teams are getting a lot of interest from colleges. My kid isn’t in the .01%, but she has been happy with the program and recommend it to others. That said, both the Reign and GDA face some very real challenges going forward, and while I’m pretty confident they’ll be fine next year I wouldn’t give them better than even odds beyond that, but more because of GDA’s inflexibility and lack of business sense than anything on the part of the Reign.
                          KC only cares about her job and winning games.

Comment

history of Reign

We were there in the days of TK and maybe she said that, but I never heard it. I mean, DA is what it is, in relationship to the National Team, so some of that is just facts. I will second the comment that TK cared about all the players, and took time to encourage and motivate everyone. After TK left, my kid felt like she had no one at Reign who cared about or believed in her (this is the main organization, not the pro player/coaches. those were always positive interactions, but the pro Reign players had no control over team cultures, or organizational culture really)

Comment

We were there in the days of TK and maybe she said that, but I never heard it. I mean, DA is what it is, in relationship to the National Team, so some of that is just facts. I will second the comment that TK cared about all the players, and took time to encourage and motivate everyone. After TK left, my kid felt like she had no one at Reign who cared about or believed in her (this is the main organization, not the pro player/coaches. those were always positive interactions, but the pro Reign players had no control over team cultures, or organizational culture really)
                              Mudslinging/sour grapes from disgruntled parents who have since left Reign?...

No club works for everybody and that is why some stay and some leave. These same issues described in posts are echoed by some at every club in the area..

Happy for the author that they found a better option for their player.
                              Sad for the author that they still feel like they have an axe to grind.

Anonymous personal attacks on coaches (abbreviations are obvious in this case) say more about the author of the post then the person being attacked.

For those that want to play high school soccer, 5 clubs in the area now provide an “elite” club experience for the players to participate in for other 8 months of the year.

For those interested in a unique year round training academy as has been described in prior posts, give Reign a try. While Reign is not for everybody , it is truly extraordinary that in two years, a half dozen girls in this system have had national team camp opportunities. It is not a coincidence. No other clubs in the area have seen this type of conversion. Now that Reign is independent, there is dire need for other clubs to try to end it and maintain market share. What is wrong with choice? Join or not? No need for bashing ...

Comment

Mudslinging/sour grapes from disgruntled parents who have since left Reign?...

No club works for everybody and that is why some stay and some leave. These same issues described in posts are echoed by some at every club in the area..

Happy for the author that they found a better option for their player.
                                Sad for the author that they still feel like they have an axe to grind.

Anonymous personal attacks on coaches (abbreviations are obvious in this case) say more about the author of the post then the person being attacked.

For those that want to play high school soccer, 5 clubs in the area now provide an “elite” club experience for the players to participate in for other 8 months of the year.

For those interested in a unique year round training academy as has been described in prior posts, give Reign a try. While Reign is not for everybody , it is truly extraordinary that in two years, a half dozen girls in this system have had national team camp opportunities. It is not a coincidence. No other clubs in the area have seen this type of conversion. Now that Reign is independent, there is dire need for other clubs to try to end it and maintain market share. What is wrong with choice? Join or not? No need for bashing ...
                                In 2 years, the Reign were able to develop a half dozen girls to the national team level. They must have some truly amazing coaches.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X