• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally the root cause of Girls Soccer mental madness

Smack dang on the noggin

https://usatodayhss.com/2017/new-stu...ny-other-sport

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You should of revealed it's not from the act of heading the ball, but simply not having the wiring to the brain that provides them the spatial sense to realize their headed for collision and never using their arms to create distance between themselves and their opponents heads when competing for the ball in the air. Sad stuff. Let's see how many more girls we can make suffer via Title IX

Comment

Everyone knows that the root cause are parents

Comment

You should of revealed it's not from the act of heading the ball, but simply not having the wiring to the brain that provides them the spatial sense to realize their headed for collision and never using their arms to create distance between themselves and their opponents heads when competing for the ball in the air. Sad stuff. Let's see how many more girls we can make suffer via Title IX
        They also lack the neck muscle development boys have. One thing that can help reduce concussions are mouth guards - they help absorb the impact, especially with any mid to lower head blows. But for whatever reason soccer isn't adopting its use. It's all but required in every other contact sport now.

Comment

They also lack the neck muscle development boys have. One thing that can help reduce concussions are mouth guards - they help absorb the impact, especially with any mid to lower head blows. But for whatever reason soccer isn't adopting its use. It's all but required in every other contact sport now.
          This a a complete myth. No science to support it.

Comment

This a a complete myth. No science to support it.
            Not the poster and yes more research needs to happen. It's tough because you obviously can't subject people to head blows to do a proper scientific study. Also so few soccer players wear them it's tough to generalize to soccer. Also, part of the issue is most athletes use cheap over the counter ones that are thin and don't fit well. A study with football players showed that those with better made custom mouthguards had a lower concussion rate than those with OTC ones. https://traumaticbraininjury.net/201...rain-injuries/

Regardless it does protect teeth, orthodonture and the jaw. Good enough for me given what I've spent on braces. My younger two started wearing them after their oldest sibling had a tooth knocked out playing pick up basketball. Instant compliance on their part, no nagging required.

Comment

Not the poster and yes more research needs to happen. It's tough because you obviously can't subject people to head blows to do a proper scientific study. Also so few soccer players wear them it's tough to generalize to soccer. Also, part of the issue is most athletes use cheap over the counter ones that are thin and don't fit well. A study with football players showed that those with better made custom mouthguards had a lower concussion rate than those with OTC ones. https://traumaticbraininjury.net/201...rain-injuries/

Regardless it does protect teeth, orthodonture and the jaw. Good enough for me given what I've spent on braces. My younger two started wearing them after their oldest sibling had a tooth knocked out playing pick up basketball. Instant compliance on their part, no nagging required.
              It's labeled “neuromythology”

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/35/2/81

Comment

Yes, but what makes the PARENTS so crazy?

Comment

The root is the Brits that cant make it at home and come and coach girls soccer where they don’t get found out because the parents and kids fall for an accent and the line about an injury forcing the coach to stop playing right before they were to play for Man United.

The boys don’t fall for cute hair and accents

Comment

This guy must be a close relative of a bunch of anti-vaxxers.

Comment

This guy must be a close relative of a bunch of anti-vaxxers.
                      anti vaxers are anti science. they put their kids and vulnerable members of the public in enormous risk. putting in a mouth guard? no risk, certainly won't hurt to try. it is science that women don't develop the same muscle mass as men. https://www.livestrong.com/article/3...-male-muscles/. i found at least one study (admittedly very small) showing female neck muscles are less than males. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3648672/

Comment

Fake News!

Their Headline:

"New study shows that girls soccer has higher per capita rate of concussions than any other sport"

Isn't supported by the main quote from the study:

"27 percent of all injuries suffered by girls soccer players are traumatic brain injuries (TBI)"

Misleading is too kind of a word ...

What they mean is that 27% of injuries (reported) in girls soccer are concussions or TBIs. Not that girls suffer more concussions on average than football players.

This actually makes sense if you think about it, because with all the concussion awareness that's been going around, head injuries are being well reported (a benefit as far as I'm concerned).

Looking slightly deeper into the data, nothing has changed except the amount of TBI's being reported. "Pre-enactment era (2005-10)" has girls soccer as higher than any other sport @12.5%. The proportion of injuries in each sport reported seems to be consistent across the board about double in the "post-enactment era (2010-15)".

How does USA Today get away with posting a controversial and completely false headline like that? Any person with some semblance of critical thinking skills should be able to see through it ...

Odd world we live in ..

Comment

The root is the Brits that cant make it at home and come and coach girls soccer where they don’t get found out because the parents and kids fall for an accent and the line about an injury forcing the coach to stop playing right before they were to play for Man United.

The boys don’t fall for cute hair and accents
                          "I were a week away from signing with ManU and I did me knee in"

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X