•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The delusional soccer parent

Every team has at least one

http://www.layupsandrebounds.com/kei...d8a13db3ubsyns

Every team has several of them. Every one of those parents is either chasing a D1 full boat, or a pipeline to going pro. Otherwise they wouldn’t be dishing out thousands per year on soccer. Let’s be real here.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Every team has several of them. Every one of those parents is either chasing a D1 full boat, or a pipeline to going pro. Otherwise they wouldn’t be dishing out thousands per year on soccer. Let’s be real here.
      Don’t forget the ones living vicariously through their children. Those might be the worst ones.

Comment

No expectations beyond high school for us, and we spend thousands a year. College or pro isn't the planned ROI, but sure it's a goal. A stretch goal, but still a goal.

My D plays because she loves it. She wants to play every day. She snowboards, too. We spend more on the slopes than we do on the pitch. There are no expectations on Olympics or anything else there, either.

What's the difference?

Comment

the problem with those pointing the fingers at DLPs is many of them are no better. For you to now a parent is delusional, you need to know an awful ot about the players ability and ambitions.

As far as vicarious living, where does supportive parenting end and VL begin?

So many people on here drawing road maps for perfect soccer parenting who have no clue themselves.

Live and let live.

Comment

the problem with those pointing the fingers at DLPs is many of them are no better. For you to now a parent is delusional, you need to know an awful ot about the players ability and ambitions.

So many people on here drawing road maps for perfect soccer parenting who have no clue themselves.

Live and let live.
            You know, the ones standing on the sidelines yelling, faces red, veins bulging, because little Mia is having a bad game. Then little Mia comes off the field looking like she’s about to cry because she knows daddy is upset and going to yell at her the whole ride home. It’s disturbing to say the least.

Comment

No expectations beyond high school for us, and we spend thousands a year. College or pro isn't the planned ROI, but sure it's a goal. A stretch goal, but still a goal.

My D plays because she loves it. She wants to play every day. She snowboards, too. We spend more on the slopes than we do on the pitch. There are no expectations on Olympics or anything else there, either.

What's the difference?
              Yeah yeah yeah.... right.... snowboarding? Good one! All our kids love it. Until the parents start getting crazy.

Comment

Yeah yeah yeah.... right.... snowboarding? Good one! All our kids love it. Until the parents start getting crazy.
                "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

I'll give you a break as this appears to reside outside your comprehension, so won't go any further on the subject.

Comment

"If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

I'll give you a break as this appears to reside outside your comprehension, so won't go any further on the subject.
                  Oh no! It’s the guy with the quotes.

Are you telling me that the majority of parents sharing the sidelines with you have no expectations other than “having fun”? Is that what you’re saying? I just want to clear that up.

Comment

You know, the ones standing on the sidelines yelling, faces red, veins bulging, because little Mia is having a bad game. Then little Mia comes off the field looking like she’s about to cry because she knows daddy is upset and going to yell at her the whole ride home. It’s disturbing to say the least.
                    There's actually not that many of those. Their kids usually quit by middle school out of necessity to keep their sanity. And while you feel terrible for those kids, at least the parents are pretty much an open book. It's the sneaky conniving ones who are always doing espionage, trying to undermine players and backstabbing parents while pretending to be friendly - those are the ones you have to watch out for.

Comment

Oh no! It’s the guy with the quotes.

Are you telling me that the majority of parents sharing the sidelines with you have no expectations other than “having fun”? Is that what you’re saying? I just want to clear that up.
                      No, I never said anything like that. I don't intend to speak for any other parents or children, only my own family. My example was strictly about my family. I told you about my daughter, her love of soccer, and that her snowboarding for enjoyment is a parallel.

I never uttered one word about the "majority" of parents.

I happen to agree there's a high-number of fruitloops out there, but everyone manages their families how they see fit. Some are on the right path in my mind, some are not in my mind.

Comment

There's actually not that many of those. Their kids usually quit by middle school out of necessity to keep their sanity. And while you feel terrible for those kids, at least the parents are pretty much an open book. It's the sneaky conniving ones who are always doing espionage, trying to undermine players and backstabbing parents while pretending to be friendly - those are the ones you have to watch out for.
                        How about the ones who tell their kids never to pass to their own teammates, to deliberately hurt their good teammates to take them out of the game. And if their teammates are doing better than them, they aren’t allowed to speak to them? How’s that for a toxic environment?

Comment

Live and let live.
                          No better than? The ones pointing fingers are the ines with the most severe cases. The ones that got $5k of athletic to go to Univ of Southern Arkansas (and then boast their kid got a full boat) are the most delusional.

Comment

Or the ones who talk to the coach for a few minutes before or after EVERY practice just to get a little more friendly and give petunia an edge.

Comment

How about the ones who tell their kids never to pass to their own teammates, to deliberately hurt their good teammates to take them out of the game. And if their teammates are doing better than them, they aren’t allowed to speak to them? How’s that for a toxic environment?
                              Don’t blame the parents. That’s a coaching problem. A good coach would never allow that type of behavior.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X