Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soccer phase 3 take 2

Can we please avoid the politics. MA is the only state in the country that I can find that classified soccer as a high risk sport. It makes no sense. Ny NJ CT ri Oregon all classify as medium risk. And the national guidelines say the same thing. Was this a drafting error?

Can we unite as a community and try and get this changed?

It makes zero sense. It's the only sport in the world that has actually restarted. There is no sustained face to face proximity in soccer that lasts more than a few seconds. Write / call your state rep and bakers office. One of these people in charge must have a kid that plays soccer...

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Can we please avoid the politics. MA is the only state in the country that I can find that classified soccer as a high risk sport. It makes no sense. Ny NJ CT ri Oregon all classify as medium risk. And the national guidelines say the same thing. Was this a drafting error?

It makes zero sense. It's the only sport in the world that has actually restarted. There is no sustained face to face proximity in soccer that lasts more than a few seconds. Write / call your state rep and bakers office. One of these people in charge must have a kid that plays soccer...
    FFS there are already two threads on this topic (moved to the politics section). Try and do something about it instead of whining here.

Comment

FFS there are already two threads on this topic (moved to the politics section). Try and do something about it instead of whining here.
      Those threads were hijacked by political commentary... I agree with the original poster on starting a new thread, keeping it clean of political "stuff". Let's talk about ways in which we can reach the Governor and ask him to re-classify soccer as moderate risk.

What can we do to reach him? There will be power in the numbers... we need every parent, coach, even players to voice their opinion directly to the governor.

Comment

Maybe a little press - New England Soccer Journal, Topdrawer soccer, Boston Globe, anyone with connections?

Comment

Hit the news stations.

Play up the benefits of playing with your friends and getting outside for exercise. Escape from television and gaming systems.

Keep kids occupied and out of trouble.

Risk of more not-for-profits going out of business (e.g. clubs, town teams, leagues) if the kids can't play soccer this summer/fall.

Comment

Well, I was in the camp to get them back in the fields, but went by the fields yesterday and was horrified. Between kids playing soccer, lax, baseball, volleyball (which I’ve never even seen played on grass, but they had a bunch of nets up), there must have been 400 kids on 2 9v9 size fields plus an adjacent baseball field. Then there were the parents, probably another 200-300, half wearing masks and half not standing around watching and talking with little distance. If I imagined a scenario where Covid would spread, that was it.

One of the issues, is that our town like most doesn’t have a lot of quality fields and a couple are closed right now because the town was using the Covid lockdown to get work done on them. I’m sure we aren’t the only town with that issue.

There really needs to be better organization with field access, etc. because everyone is too eager to get out. Can honestly see us spiking in the near future.

Comment

Hard to avoid politics when the very first post here is political. This will devolve into how no one under age 30 dies, and Baker is stupid, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

How can something "devolve" by acknowledging that nobody under 30 dies? This is by far the most important point in any discussion of soccer in Mass.

Comment

How can something "devolve" by acknowledging that nobody under 30 dies? This is by far the most important point in any discussion of soccer in Mass.
                  LOL. You just proved the point. Post after post after post about what is wrong with Baker and why can't the experts see that young people are fine, and how the shutdowns are wrong, etc, etc. Sweden, Sweden, Sweden....which btw is now the example of doing things wrong. People keep bragging about how good our death rate is....well, Sweden's is 40 times worse by population.

Comment

Because within another couple of posts everything will be about snowflakes, and libtards, and hiding in your basement, and real men go out and order the virus for lunch, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

You can reach out to Governor Baker today asking for soccer to be reclassified to "moderate" risk. Go to https://www.mass.gov/forms/email-the-governors-office. On the form just choose "phase reopening" and specify "risk reclassification" as the subject. If you want more info, look at the 7/6 guidance that came out for the Governor's office regarding sports risk classifications.

Comment

Well, I was in the camp to get them back in the fields, but went by the fields yesterday and was horrified. Between kids playing soccer, lax, baseball, volleyball (which I’ve never even seen played on grass, but they had a bunch of nets up), there must have been 400 kids on 2 9v9 size fields plus an adjacent baseball field. Then there were the parents, probably another 200-300, half wearing masks and half not standing around watching and talking with little distance. If I imagined a scenario where Covid would spread, that was it.

One of the issues, is that our town like most doesn’t have a lot of quality fields and a couple are closed right now because the town was using the Covid lockdown to get work done on them. I’m sure we aren’t the only town with that issue.

There really needs to be better organization with field access, etc. because everyone is too eager to get out. Can honestly see us spiking in the near future.
                        With all due respect, where exactly was this field with 700 people milling around?

Comment

Agreed. The people who want us to follow science and listen to epidemiologists, won't acknowledge that the data clearly shows COVID is not a risk to young athletes.

The response is an always exasperated version of "they are spreaders!", as if we don't grock the viral bit. Of course we understand it, we just feel that a) The risk is already there. Kids are out enjoying life right now, and there is no evidence that outdoor youth sports noticeably increments risk and b) Each family should determine their own risk tolerance and mitigation practices. not all family's are equal. some have more money, some have better health, some have grannies some don't. One size does not fit all.

Comment

Agreed. The people who want us to follow science and listen to epidemiologists, won't acknowledge that the data clearly shows COVID is not a risk to young athletes.

The response is an always exasperated version of "they are spreaders!", as if we don't grock the viral bit. Of course we understand it, we just feel that a) The risk is already there. Kids are out enjoying life right now, and there is no evidence that outdoor youth sports noticeably increments risk and b) Each family should determine their own risk tolerance and mitigation practices. not all family's are equal. some have more money, some have better health, some have grannies some don't. One size does not fit all.
                            Thanks for sharing this for the 1000th time.

Comment

I call BS on this one. 700 people? Come on. Where? Name the place.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X