•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You're literally the definition of...

Gun violence have shot through the roof the past decade
    Can we stipulate sticking to facts rather than misinformed opinions and hyperbole before we delve into debating causes and solutions?

I'm guessing no...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...and-solutions/

Comment

Can we stipulate sticking to facts rather than misinformed opinions and hyperbole before we delve into debating causes and solutions?

I'm guessing no...

Because the "Washingtonpost" is a reliable news source. lol

Comment

Because the "Washingtonpost" is a reliable news source. lol
        Do you always make a habit of stepping in your own ****?

"Editor’s Note: This is a guest post from Dr. Dewey G. Cornell. Cornell is a forensic clinical psychologist and Bunker Professor of Education in the Curry School of Education at the University of Virginia. He is also Director of the U.Va. Virginia Youth Violence Project; a program director of Youth-Nex, the U.Va. Center to Promote Effective Youth Development; and a faculty associate of the Institute of Law, Psychiatry, and Public Policy."

...citing Bureau of Justice Statistics.

Yes, lol indeed.

Comment

I'm guessing no...

It's not a misinformed opinion. The U.S. as a whole IS messed up and if you're too naive or reluctant to see it, I'm not sure what else to say.

Comment

http://i.imgur.com/BbQgU8a.jpg

This is exactly what's wrong with the American health care system. People are dying and the American government does absolutely nothing about it except charge people ridiculous amounts average people can't even dream of paying off.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...n-health-care/

The American healthcare system is completely f***'ed up. I don't understand how a developed nation can keep doing this to its citizens. It's so screwed up.

Comment

Normal Americans are all fat and stupid lol
              I shop at Walmart and wave the confederate flag dur dur dur
              I grew up in the South and people who own the confederate flag are generally known to be pretty trashy.

Comment

It's not a misinformed opinion. The U.S. as a whole IS messed up and if you're too naive or reluctant to see it, I'm not sure what else to say.
                I count 4 blahs. Maybe if you made "IS" bold, and not just caps, that would have gone further to obscure the fact that what I posted is factual and you've done nothing to remedy that what you claimed was not.

You were wrong about something you said. You were corrected. Learn and get over it.

Among your mistakes is to presume someone else who doesn't share your opinions (or misunderstanding of facts), doesn't believe, for example, that there are problems to solve.

Comment

Back to soccer please.

Comment

the American government does absolutely nothing about it except charge people ridiculous amounts.
                    Please be more precise with your words, or learn how insurance actually works, or try not commenting. We'll all benefit.

Comment

I'm guessing no...
                      Always a safe guess.

Comment

Please be more precise with your words, or learn how insurance actually works, or try not commenting. We'll all benefit.
                        How many people are fully insured in America and out of those people, how much of their insurance covers all of their medical bills and other medical expenses?

Comment

I count 4 blahs. Maybe if you made "IS" bold, and not just caps, that would have gone further to obscure the fact that what I posted is factual and you've done nothing to remedy that what you claimed was not.

You were wrong about something you said. You were corrected. Learn and get over it.

Among your mistakes is to presume someone else who doesn't share your opinions (or misunderstanding of facts), doesn't believe, for example, that there are problems to solve.
                          Another sheep. haha

Comment

The Brits called it soccer and we Americans adopted the term. See:

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs...123344142.html

It never takes long if you find yourself watching a big World Cup match at a party or pub before the inevitable question comes up: why do some people - and particularly Americans - insist on calling football "soccer"?

Inevitably, someone pipes up in a loud voice about Americans ignorantly renaming the sport to suit themselves, while another suggests that the NFL is to blame for the confusion.

Well, now you can wade in and inform both parties that they are the misguided and ignorant ones. Politely and amicably, of course, though we'll allow you a little smugness.

The word "soccer" is actually British. It derives from the game's proper name, association football, with the "soc" bit taken from the word "association" .

The reason it came into popular usage was simple: in the 19th century, football and rugby were both commonly known as football, the former dubbed "association football" and the latter "rugby football". But both phrases are a bit of a mouthful, however, so they were popularly shortened to "soccer" and "rugger" to keep things simple.

Now, your grandad and anybody else over the age of 50 probably knows this instinctively, though younger sports fans might well not since the word "soccer" hasn't been widely used in Britain for three or four decades.

Yet on the other side of the pond, solving such problems is actually a full time job. And one that employed University of Michigan professor Stefan Szymanski for several months as, quite amazingly, he wrote a research paper to point out all of the above.

Szymanski's "research" goes to town on the various different types of football played in early 19th century Britain:

"The rugby football game was shortened to 'rugger,' a term recognised in British English to the present day, and the association football game was, plausibly, shortened to 'soccer'" Szymanski wrote.

Americans merely adopted the colloquialism, and understandably so given that their own, homegrown American Football (invented in 1869) would have been likely confused with the English kick-and-run sport.

It was only by the 1980s, claims Szymanski, that the Brits decided to largely disassociate themselves with the term "soccer" due to it having become considered too "American". So a term created by Brits was effectively ditched.

"In the US it seems to have had a more democratic flavour – everyone used it – and more easily shifted from a colloquialism to a proper name because of the utility of distinguishing it from the other 'football'," Szymanski explained.

"Since 1980 the usage of the word 'soccer' has declined in British publications, and where it is used, it usually refers to an American context. This decline seems to be a reaction against the increased usage in the US which seems to be associated with the highpoint of the [North American Soccer League] around 1980."

So perhaps it is time for snobbery and frustration towards American "soccer" fans to dissipate. After all, the poor folk 'over the pond' merely adopted accepted an established term. So there.

Now all we have to do is persuade them that "baseball" is actually called "rounders", and that hockey should be played on grass or astroturf rather than at an ice rink, and all will be right with the world.

Comment

You, sir, are wrong. Keep living under that rock and keep thinking America is still the best country in the world. Sorry to break it to you but America isn't even top 20 in the world according to most meaningful metrics like public education, health, poverty and life expectancy.

But sure, I guess we can still keep believing we're the best at everything.

Comment

How many people are fully insured in America and out of those people, how much of their insurance covers all of their medical bills and other medical expenses?
                                Not as many as you'd expect.

http://imgur.com/a/WIfeN

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X