NESCAC Info...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many players do NESCACs typically recruit and/or invite to preseason?

Comment

Some programs have a dry season policy and I am fine with it and usually they are successful. If one can't stay away from drinking for 7-8 weeks in a year they don't need another school...perhaps AA.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        How many players do NESCACs typically recruit and/or invite to preseason?
        Can't you tell by looking at the rosters, and applying some common sense on top? By the way, it's not different for other leagues.

Comment

Can't you tell by looking at the rosters, and applying some common sense on top? By the way, it's not different for other leagues.
          Did that and it's nonsensical and not aligned with what I know of other leagues, which is why I ask.

Comment

Did that and it's nonsensical and not aligned with what I know of other leagues, which is why I ask.
            It would be interesting to know the differences you detect. My sense is a typical team of 25-30 has 8-12 freshmen, 6-10 sophomores, 5-7 juniors and seniors. There will be exceptions of course. Of those freshmen, 7-8 might be recruits in the sense of coach sent a letter of support to admissions, the others walk-ons. Coach has knowledge of most of the walk-ons, too. Some teams have a few students who are practice players.

Comment

Some programs have a dry season policy and I am fine with it and usually they are successful. If one can't stay away from drinking for 7-8 weeks in a year they don't need another school...perhaps AA.
              While this idea sounds perfectly sound to those of us well beyond college, if you have or know young people enrolled in college in 2015, you know that staying sober for 7-8 weeks (on most U.S. college campuses, even for student-athletes--no matter what division) is unusual. The student-athletes I know who stay dry for the entire season are the exception to the rule on their teams.

Comment

While this idea sounds perfectly sound to those of us well beyond college, if you have or know young people enrolled in college in 2015, you know that staying sober for 7-8 weeks (on most U.S. college campuses, even for student-athletes--no matter what division) is unusual. The student-athletes I know who stay dry for the entire season are the exception to the rule on their teams.
                Spot on

Comment

Nor is the season just 8 weeks. Pre-season and "post-season" for non D1 schools, just to a lesser extent.

It is unrealistic to expect all teenagers (because they really are just kids) to not be tempted in participating to some degree. Like someone said - do it too much or at the wrong time there will be consequences, either on the field or in the classroom. It's part of the learning process and growing up.

Comment

Nor is the season just 8 weeks. Pre-season and "post-season" for non D1 schools, just to a lesser extent.

It is unrealistic to expect all teenagers (because they really are just kids) to not be tempted in participating to some degree. Like someone said - do it too much or at the wrong time there will be consequences, either on the field or in the classroom. It's part of the learning process and growing up.
                    First game is Sept 8, last regular-season game is October 28. That's 51 days, or 7 weeks. Training starts Sept 1, so with that you could say 8 weeks. There may be informal training before that, but the discussion about parties doesn't pertain to informal training when the team's not even on campus together yet. So 8 weeks for the 3 teams that do not make league tournament, and 9 weeks for the 4 eliminated in league tournament quarterfinals. For majority of teams then, prior statement was off by 1 week. A team could extend its season up to 5 more weeks, for a total of 14 weeks.

Comment

First game is Sept 8, last regular-season game is October 28. That's 51 days, or 7 weeks. Training starts Sept 1, so with that you could say 8 weeks. There may be informal training before that, but the discussion about parties doesn't pertain to informal training when the team's not even on campus together yet. So 8 weeks for the 3 teams that do not make league tournament, and 9 weeks for the 4 eliminated in league tournament quarterfinals. For majority of teams then, prior statement was off by 1 week. A team could extend its season up to 5 more weeks, for a total of 14 weeks.
                      Nit picking. Some athletes can and will stay dry for however many weeks you want to call the season. Many will not. To think otherwise is foolish. Hopefully the learn from their mistakes.

Comment

It would be interesting to know the differences you detect. My sense is a typical team of 25-30 has 8-12 freshmen, 6-10 sophomores, 5-7 juniors and seniors. There will be exceptions of course. Of those freshmen, 7-8 might be recruits in the sense of coach sent a letter of support to admissions, the others walk-ons. Coach has knowledge of most of the walk-ons, too. Some teams have a few students who are practice players.

Just curious-why the attrition? What happens to the juniors and seniors? Injury? Quit?

Comment

Just curious-why the attrition? What happens to the juniors and seniors? Injury? Quit?
                          I would guess a lack of interest and realization that the time put in will amount to nothing past school.

Comment

Realization that playing time is likely to be very limited.

Comment

Yes- many kids will be unwilling to continue to commit the time and energy into a team when it has become increasingly clear that they won't see the field. If you didn't play sophomore year, the writing may well be on the wall that you're a bench player.

Comment

At D3 schools, like the NESCAC schools, kids are often not willing to continue with a sport when it's clear that there's not going to be a lot of playing time. These kids have plenty of other things going on, are now deep into their majors by junior year, and can dabble in other sports or activities rather than stay with the team. There are others that love the sport so much, and perhaps value the structure and inclusion that being on a team offers, that they continue with the team through graduation. I know many friends of both mindsets. Don't forget, if a kid knows that playing time will be limited, it's much easier to justify taking a junior year abroad, pick up ultimate frisbee, join a play, etc.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X