Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Most of these people have little balance in their lives. And it is not just athletes. Entrepeneurs, CEO's, Special Forces, Politicians, Doctors, and Celebrities all are very driven people who ignore normal family commitments, have very little time for friends, and are often poor spouses, parents and children due to their maniacal commitment to their chosen field. Their "friends" are all work related.

I am guessing Bill Belichek wasn't spending a ton of time at home cleaning up after dinner and helping the kids with their homework. Same for Jack Welch. Even when they are "relaxing" it is often work related. Charity golf tournaments, spending time with fellow driven people. When their personal relationships "work" it is with the understanding that these people have severe limitations and that their primary focus will always be on their career.
    Well stated. Great people are not often good people.

Comment

I can recall reading several articles, some quoting professional youth coaches in European soccer clubs, some addressing American athletes in other sports, all saying the same. That is this total focus on their sport and the willingness to sacrifice all else for their sport. Is there any difference between Lauren Holiday and Carli Lloyd in terms of physical talent? IMO there isn't. But Holiday has determined at age 27 she is no longer willing to give up her personal life for soccer. There are lots of athletes with ability that make that decision even earlier. That's why the experts say the final element in determining who makes it and who doesn't is mental toughness. Mental toughness to include self discipline and perseverance.
      Lauren Holiday is married to a professional basketball player. Perhaps that's part of her desire to give up soccer. She is in different segment

Comment

Chris Evert, a good Catholic girl, decided to abort her baby, sending boy friend Jimmy Connors packing, but maintaining her athletic trajectory. Good role model?
        Not for my kid. But then, my kid isn't on the cusp of being an all-time great at something that might be derailed by a pregnancy and a marriage at a young age. I've never been in her shoes, nor will my kid, so I can't be too critical. I've tried not to use athletes as role models for my kids.

Comment

Chris Evert, a good Catholic girl, decided to abort her baby, sending boy friend Jimmy Connors packing, but maintaining her athletic trajectory. Good role model?
          What a sad double standard. Wonder how many men would have abortions if they were the ones getting pregnant.

Comment

What a sad double standard. Wonder how many men would have abortions if they were the ones getting pregnant.
            There are some stories. Recently a Ravens NT gave up his NFL career to donate a kidney to his brother, and Pat Tillman gave up a lucrative sports career to serve his country at war then get shot.

Comment

Not for my kid. But then, my kid isn't on the cusp of being an all-time great at something that might be derailed by a pregnancy and a marriage at a young age. I've never been in her shoes, nor will my kid, so I can't be too critical. I've tried not to use athletes as role models for my kids.
              A lot of people abort unintended pregnancies regardless of their status.

Comment

A lot of people abort unintended pregnancies regardless of their status.
                True, and they all had reasons for doing so. Some may have been more compelling reasons than others, but it's none of my business. I raise my kids with the moral code that I think is right, and allow others the same latitude.

Comment

It is also rather laughable how others mock the choices or minimize the sacrifices a player like Lloyd must make to achieve the level of success she has achieved. That really underscores just how big the disconnect is between what club soccer is producing and what so many think they are chasing. People like them setting limits is the very heart of the delusion that proliferates in club soccer now.
                  The last several pages are prime examples of the loser mentality that exists on this forum. Why even bother with soccer at all if you are that sour on where it ultimately leads that you have to crap on the successes? Instead let's just set the bar as low as possible so everyone gets their plastic trophy and crap on anyone who has works harder to get more.

Comment

The last several pages are prime examples of the loser mentality that exists on this forum. Why even bother with soccer at all if you are that sour on where it ultimately leads that you have to crap on the successes? Instead let's just set the bar as low as possible so everyone gets their plastic trophy and crap on anyone who has works harder to get more.
                    I dont think people are crapping on anyone. More so, admitting that these people tend to be athletic freaks on top of being abnormally single minded and disiciplined. I respect the hell out of anyone that is the absolute best at what they do. It rarely comes without tremendous sacrifice and desire to succeed that is exceedingly rare.

Comment

Is there any difference between Lauren Holiday and Carli Lloyd in terms of physical talent? IMO there isn't. But Holiday has determined at age 27 she is no longer willing to give up her personal life for soccer.... That's why the experts say the final element in determining who makes it and who doesn't is mental toughness.
                      This is ridiculously unfair to Holiday, making it sound as if she just wants to spend more time sipping lattes at sidewalk cafes. She has all but said that she is retiring from soccer not just to devote more time to her family but also to start one. That has nothing to do with "mental toughness" and everything to do with the biological clock. She has made a life choice; there's no reason to doubt her mental toughness or love of the game.

Men, of course, don't have this problem. Witness Roger Federer, with four small children, still competing at the highest level of pro tennis in his 30s. While I am sure he has lost some sleep, I doubt whether he has lost much practice time.

Comment

This is ridiculously unfair to Holiday, making it sound as if she just wants to spend more time sipping lattes at sidewalk cafes. She has all but said that she is retiring from soccer not just to devote more time to her family but also to start one. That has nothing to do with "mental toughness" and everything to do with the biological clock. She has made a life choice; there's no reason to doubt her mental toughness or love of the game.

Men, of course, don't have this problem. Witness Roger Federer, with four small children, still competing at the highest level of pro tennis in his 30s. While I am sure he has lost some sleep, I doubt whether he has lost much practice time.
                        Professional athletes have to "retire" at some point. There's only so much a human body can take physically and mentally. How many times have we seen pros who stayed in a sport just a little too long? It often doesn't go well. And what pro path does a female soccer player have anyway? There are many ways they can still stay involved in the game without having to give up their personal lives like they have for the last decade.

It is also part of the broader debate and choices women have to make. There's only so many years of prime fertility for women, while men can have offspring into their 70s if they want. Many women slow down their careers or stop (often temporarily) altogether to focus on their family. With men it's more the exception.

Comment

You are so fabulously defensive, narcissistic, and distorted. People write things and then you translate what they wrote into your own private language to fit your bizarre ideations.

Comment

It's rather laughable that anyone would have to post a story like this because it should be understood the lengths one needs to go to be what is considered ONE of THE best soccer players in the world (and being a starter on the US National Team qualifies as such)

It is also rather laughable how others mock the choices or minimize the sacrifices a player like Lloyd must make to achieve the level of success she has achieved. That really underscores just how big the disconnect is between what club soccer is producing and what so many think they are chasing. People like them setting limits is the very heart of the delusion that proliferates in club soccer now.
                            Well, at least you got to answer your own post several pages later. Well done. Keep the distortions coming.

Comment

And you apparently are a judgmental Christian. Clearly you don't realize that abortion was not a sin until recently. Pregnancy termination was quite common in 19th century and earlier. The issue did not become a religious matter until very recently.

Read and cite he New Testament and tell me where it says that abortion or for that matter gay marriage is a sin.
                              You asked. You received. Will you listen? Or at least investigate? These are God's words. From the New Testament. Jesus came to sacrifice himself for our sins. But his sacrifice was not a blank check to recklessly sin. He wants you to repent from sin and accept him as your savior. He doesn't expect perfection, but he certainly won't accept ignoring what is clearly pointed out as sin.

And to circle back to Carli Lloyd, God warned to have no God's before him and certainly not to worship idols. An argument could certainly be made that soccer has become Carli Lloyd's god and the primary idol she worships (they specifically use the word 'religion' in the article.)

Pretty sure all this will just tick most of you off, but it's not my intent. The poster asked a question. I am just responding hoping that someone will pay attention because Jesus warns that the consequences of not listening to him are quite dire. The New Testament is worth a read.

Romans 1:26-27

26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10

9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men[a] 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Timothy 1:9-10

9 We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10 for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine

Comment

You asked. You received. Will you listen? Or at least investigate? These are God's words. From the New Testament. Jesus came to sacrifice himself for our sins. But his sacrifice was not a blank check to recklessly sin. He wants you to repent from sin and accept him as your savior. He doesn't expect perfection, but he certainly won't accept ignoring what is clearly pointed out as sin.

And to circle back to Carli Lloyd, God warned to have no God's before him and certainly not to worship idols. An argument could certainly be made that soccer has become Carli Lloyd's god and the primary idol she worships (they specifically use the word 'religion' in the article.)

Pretty sure all this will just tick most of you off, but it's not my intent. The poster asked a question. I am just responding hoping that someone will pay attention because Jesus warns that the consequences of not listening to him are quite dire. The New Testament is worth a read.

Romans 1:26-27

26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10

9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men[a] 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Timothy 1:9-10

9 We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10 for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine
                                Stay calm and try not to worry. The ambulance is almost there to take you to the hospital.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X