Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Possibly if your school doesn't cut anyone because they have low enrollment and guarantee all seniors who sign up will make varsity but this can't be a D1 program then.
    It is D1 and surprisingly successful considering the AD's philosophy is for as many students as possible to make teams.

Comment

It is D1 and surprisingly successful considering the AD's philosophy is for as many students as possible to make teams.
      School ?

Comment

You pegged this person exactly right.
        Actually dip****, they got it completely backwards.

I'm not saying there are no coaches who are "loyal" to players because they're upperclassmen, I've just not come across it in my travels. The coaches I know want to win, so they pick the players who they think will help them win and they play the players they think will help them win. Are those players typically older? Yes. But AGAIN, is some idiot trying to actually make the case that their coach is picking older and inferior players for varsity and not picking younger and more talented players? It seems so...and that's dumb.

Comment

In our town numbers have played a role too. In order to field JV and freshman teams some skilled underclassmen are being kept off the varsity rosters.
          Nonsense.

Comment

Nonsense.
            I disagree. There are definitely underclassmen who are better than some Varsity players not making varsity. However, it is not typically the case with respect to starter quality.

Rather than sitting on the bench for most of the time, underclassmen will play junior varsity so that they can get game action.

NH

Comment

Actually dip****, they got it completely backwards.

I'm not saying there are no coaches who are "loyal" to players because they're upperclassmen, I've just not come across it in my travels. The coaches I know want to win, so they pick the players who they think will help them win and they play the players they think will help them win. Are those players typically older? Yes. But AGAIN, is some idiot trying to actually make the case that their coach is picking older and inferior players for varsity and not picking younger and more talented players? It seems so...and that's dumb.
              That wasn't the case being made.

The point is that the politics of dealing with complaining parents is a legitimate issue for coaches. In some cases - especially if the team is going to be pretty good anyway - the coach opts for the path of least resistance in favoring upperclassmen. They may pretend that they're easing the freshman stud into the lineup, but they're really just trying to avoid the complaint to the AD. Some of these freshmen have already played plenty of soccer against teams much better than the HS teams in this area, so it's more driven by politics than you think.

Comment

http://www.highschoolsoccerallamerican.com

Congrats to the girls from MA for making the All American watch list, the final game roster will be announced in Dec.

Comment

That wasn't the case being made.

The point is that the politics of dealing with complaining parents is a legitimate issue for coaches. In some cases - especially if the team is going to be pretty good anyway - the coach opts for the path of least resistance in favoring upperclassmen. They may pretend that they're easing the freshman stud into the lineup, but they're really just trying to avoid the complaint to the AD. Some of these freshmen have already played plenty of soccer against teams much better than the HS teams in this area, so it's more driven by politics than you think.
                  The case being made? I'm the one that wrote the post, so no on the "pegged me right" part.

So again, if you're not talking about the bigger schools in wealthier communities where most kids not making varsity are playing club soccer as well, and instead you're talking about a school where club soccer participation might not be the norm, you're trying to say that a coach is putting loyalty to the upperclassmen over the objective talent of a younger player that can contribute and help the team win? That's something between outlier and bull****.

Comment

Congrats to the girls from MA for making the All American watch list, the final game roster will be announced in Dec.
                    Congratulations to all of them, hoping some from MA will make final roster!!! Go MA!!!! My daughter is only a sophomore but how exciting for these girls starting their final HS season!!

Comment

The case being made? I'm the one that wrote the post, so no on the "pegged me right" part.

So again, if you're not talking about the bigger schools in wealthier communities where most kids not making varsity are playing club soccer as well, and instead you're talking about a school where club soccer participation might not be the norm, you're trying to say that a coach is putting loyalty to the upperclassmen over the objective talent of a younger player that can contribute and help the team win? That's something between outlier and bull****.
                      If you look at the list of players from MA on this list, I can guarantee you all of the ones from MA made varsity and played as a freshman no matter how many upperclassmen were on roster.

Comment

If you look at the list of players from MA on this list, I can guarantee you all of the ones from MA made varsity and played as a freshman no matter how many upperclassmen were on roster.
                        Correct. The point I was making, contesting whoever chimed in with the annual "politics" complaint.

Comment

Correct. The point I was making, contesting whoever chimed in with the annual "politics" complaint.
                          Sure, that big of a difference maker will make varsity as a frosh.

My kid's story:

My kid is a keeper. As a frosh, there was a senior captain who was pretty good (but not as good as my kid, imho) and a junior backup. My kid played jv freshman year. The junior backup played a few halves of games. The following year, my kid was the varsity starter and got recognition never earned by the prior year keeper.

During my kid's senior year (after getting to know the coach a little) I asked the coach why my kid did not make varsity freshman year. His response was that although my kid grew into a superior keeper it was not so clear at the time; it was better to get my kid game experience rather than sitting; and he said something vague about the potential impact on team chemistry.

Comment

Great job by all on list, does anyone know how someone is picked for this?

Comment

Great job by all on list, does anyone know how someone is picked for this?
                              Its called hard work, determination, and talent. There is no one you can email or pay off to get your daughter on the list. Sorry this one is earned.

Comment

Its called hard work, determination, and talent. There is no one you can email or pay off to get your daughter on the list. Sorry this one is earned.
                                Best answer I have seen on TS in a while!!! Lol

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X