Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I don't have a dog in this hunt, and don't hate BA/NU like others seem to, but I'd observe that these NU kids aren't starting out on a standard 4-year plan like the typical college kid because of the internships that are built into their education. So I think people at NU (particularly athletes) are looking at credits/classes (including nights, summers) over a 5/6-year period as opposed to 8 semesters over a 4-year period. At least for me, the thought that classes have to be done by 10 or after 3:30 feels differently in that vein (and I think the athletes get priority in picking classes). My sense is that it's not as bad as it sounds (ie, with some compromises, they work it out so that the players can get an education if they want one).
    The trolley track school is wayyyyyyyyy overpriced $$$.

Comment

The trolley track school is wayyyyyyyyy overpriced $$$.
      A post like that shows how uneducated you are and probably are the parent of a mediocre soccer player. If my kid could get into NU or play soccer there, we would jump at the chance

Comment

UMASS should do better with a more competent coach.
        I hope you're talking about the interim coach (O'Neil) last year.
        Sam Koch who passed away about a year ago was one of the finest coaches in the country.
        He only had 2.9 scholarships at UMASS and always coached his teams up to be competitive. And when he took his 2007 team to the FINAL 4, many college coaches called it the single greatest coaching job in college history!
        RIP Coach.

Comment

Because NU has washed out more than a few players recently, leading to some disgruntled folks.
          Actually only one whose parent(s) are probably behind all this garbage. The "best player ever to come out of Newton" ring a bell?

Comment

HEewas on the NU Club team last season

Comment

HEewas on the NU Club team last season
              That would be him.....the Newton wonder boy!

Comment

Actually only one whose parent(s) are probably behind all this garbage. The "best player ever to come out of Newton" ring a bell?
                I think there is also a Revs player parent around too.

Comment

Getting past this negativity from a scorned parent. How will Northeastern be this year? They look like they have a strong class coming in.

Comment

Getting past this negativity from a scorned parent. How will Northeastern be this year? They look like they have a strong class coming in.
                    They had a very young team that looked good at times. Should have the talent for an improved season this year.

Comment

I don't have a dog in this hunt, and don't hate BA/NU like others seem to, but I'd observe that these NU kids aren't starting out on a standard 4-year plan like the typical college kid because of the internships that are built into their education. So I think people at NU (particularly athletes) are looking at credits/classes (including nights, summers) over a 5/6-year period as opposed to 8 semesters over a 4-year period. At least for me, the thought that classes have to be done by 10 or after 3:30 feels differently in that vein (and I think the athletes get priority in picking classes). My sense is that it's not as bad as it sounds (ie, with some compromises, they work it out so that the players can get an education if they want one).
                      As another said not many are getting anything close to a free ride to play soccer and NU is very expensive. Stretching that out over a longer period of time is a big financial commitment. That said, NU is a quality school (not like the good old days when I graduated HS and it was a safety) and the co-op program is great for resume building. No wonder they had an absurd number of applications - I think at least over 40,000.

Soccer wise there seems to have been some turmoil. Several players were cut the beginning of last season and at least one rising sophomore isn't returning this year. I Something to consider if you're a prospect looking at the program

Comment

Soccer wise there seems to have been some turmoil. Several players were cut the beginning of last season and at least one rising sophomore isn't returning this year. I Something to consider if you're a prospect looking at the program[/QUOTE]

is it a local kid not coming back? where is he going?

Comment

with D1? and BA? hardly a few months. and if you need to take a class that is only offered at certain times you're f'd.
                          And some classes are only offered fall semester or spring semester, not both. So if it's a class you have to have to graduate and it's only offered in the fall ....

Comment

And some classes are only offered fall semester or spring semester, not both. So if it's a class you have to have to graduate and it's only offered in the fall ....
                            Where my kid plays (pretty good sized D1 school) there are many major specific classes that are offered once a year and one section only. The bigger core requirement classes that almost everyone takes always have multiple sections and you can work around those. But if you need some "Economics of Latin America in the 21st Century" course it may prove difficult. Of course, often times by the time you are doing more major-specific courses many kids have dropped out of sports, so problems solved! Mine is going into junior year and there's only one other original freshman still on the team; four others are gone for different reasons.

Comment

Pre Season Hermann Watch

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/colle...-list_aid36911

A BC and Harvard girl
                              Surprisingly a UML boy

Congrats to them.

Comment

Uml boy is a 25 year old junior who had tryout with red bulls senior team as a 20 year old in 2010.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X