X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

????

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I think FC Winter Showcase is one of the better ones now.
    And how many times has the weather been horrible with poor soccer as a result or simply cancelled?

Comment

We've played Bend, fun destination, good fields, but competition is light and it can be pretty hot!
      Pros - Great location, generally excellent fields (a couple questionable), centrally located with easy access, tons to do for a family, weather typically in 80's, full fields (sold out this year), good competition U15 and under, very well run.
      Cons - can be hot depending on the year, average competition at high school level (depending on the year), hotels nice but limited (need to book early).

Relatively new tournament that is getting better - sold out this year. Never will be Surf Cup or Mustang, but has great potential to be one of the best of the rest. And excellent beer!

Comment

And excellent beer!
        Yeah, there isn't any good beer in Portland.

Comment

Try to take yourself a little less seriously. Have a great day!

Comment

And how many times has the weather been horrible with poor soccer as a result or simply cancelled?
            Never

Comment

As much as posters make fun of the Clash/Crash at the Border, with Delta and Harmony now turfed and lit, it could turn into the tourney with the best fields and in central locations.

Comment

Try to take yourself a little less seriously. Have a great day!
                Try not to be so stupid as to think you have to drive to Bend for good beer. Personally, if I want to go to Bend to spend time, I don't want a soccer tournament interuppting my time.

Comment

If you were told it was cancelled it was because your team didn't get invited.

Comment

Try not to be so stupid as to think you have to drive to Bend for good beer. Personally, if I want to go to Bend to spend time, I don't want a soccer tournament interuppting my time.
                    Of course you don't. Are you really that moronic or clueless that all you got out of the post was some implication that you had to drive to Bend to get good beer? I suspect that you're just a jerk.

Comment

blah blah blah.... This is what I am reading: I don't travel for soccer because everything is better in Portland... soccer sucks in Oregon and especially Bend, In fact I hate soccer hence the reason I write on this forum all day.

Oh brother!!!!

Comment

Pros - Great location, generally excellent fields (a couple questionable), centrally located with easy access, tons to do for a family, weather typically in 80's, full fields (sold out this year), good competition U15 and under, very well run.
                        Cons - can be hot depending on the year, average competition at high school level (depending on the year), hotels nice but limited (need to book early).

Relatively new tournament that is getting better - sold out this year. Never will be Surf Cup or Mustang, but has great potential to be one of the best of the rest. And excellent beer!

We always loved the Bend tourny. As a family it was fun.

Comment

We always loved the Bend tourny. As a family it was fun.
                          A nice vacation spot with some soccer thrown in. Instead of the other way around. We try to go a day early or stay a day later.

Comment

I know! it's all this hipster over-hopped bitter crap.

Comment

Not sure about u13 but not very good premier competition in Bend from u14 & above (girls anyway). That said, Bend is a great vacation destination so we like this one.

Comment

talking soccer

As much as posters make fun of the Clash/Crash at the Border, with Delta and Harmony now turfed and lit, it could turn into the tourney with the best fields and in central locations.
                                As manager for far too many teams over the years at various ages, there are just so many factors that go into selection of a tournament. Ultimately, I judged by the happiness of the kids - not just whether they had a good time, but whether it helped accomplish their personal goals. From that perspective (mine only):
                                Clash at the Border was a nicely run tournament and the girls had a great time (I can only speak from the girls' side). Seemed decent enough for youngers, but the fields sucked. Glad to see the changes and wish you luck.
                                Mustang - can't be the competition at every level. My selection for a NoCal tournament, but on the "happiness" scale, don't go if you are not a high quality team.
                                Pleasanton Rage - a step below Mustang, and hotter than any other it seemed. High quality teams.
                                Vegas Tourneys - study, study, study. Worth the trip for the Players College Showcase. The others? Mehhh.
                                Surf Cup (summer and Thanksgiving) - the standard for competition and coaches. Just pray it doesn't rain.
                                Nomads - a decent 2nd to Surf at Thanksgiving. Fair amount of coaches if interested in a particular player.
                                FC PDX College Showcase - Not something I would call a "fun" tournament, but good if the goal is to attend college in the NW.
                                Nike Crossfire Challenge - overall best in the NW IMO. Competition, coaches, operationally.
                                LOSC Nike Cup - disappointing the three years we did it. Really expected more. No problem operationally. Loved the polo field concept but the conditions were horrendous when we attended. Some of the fields around the city also were in terrible condition. If you're lucky, you can avoid them. Not really sure why this one isn't a home run every year.
                                Bend - terrific tournament if looking for a family-oriented experience with very good/good competition at most levels. Certainly don't go there to be seen by college coaches. New complex going in which will help expand the field.
                                Every ECNL Showcase event - can't really beat them if the goal is to play D1. Every one is of Surf Cup quality, although you can't beat the SD locale.
                                THUSC - can't comment good or bad. Just never seemed to be good timing.
                                Eugene - good, well-run tournament, but hard to say it's better than many others throughout the NW.
                                Have fun with whatever you choose.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X