Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odp ri

Can anyone explain the difference between weekly ODP sessions and the player pool that meets monthly? How many players in each group and does ODP actually cut anyone?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Can anyone explain the difference between weekly ODP sessions and the player pool that meets monthly? How many players in each group and does ODP actually cut anyone?
    Players pool are the ODP that will represent the state st regional and players that practice weekly are players that parents pay for additional training. Some may move to the pool if they show promises. Hope this helps.

Comment

I believe the once-a-monthers are really there to subsidize ODP. Yeah, they get to wear a tshirt that says ODP but they are really $ signs to finance the other activities for Soccer RI-ODP.

Unfortunately, a lot of youth soccer works this way. Town teams, club teams, etc. You are essentially subsidizing the better teams.

Comment

I believe the once-a-monthers are really there to subsidize ODP. Yeah, they get to wear a tshirt that says ODP but they are really $ signs to finance the other activities for Soccer RI-ODP.

Unfortunately, a lot of youth soccer works this way. Town teams, club teams, etc. You are essentially subsidizing the better teams.
        If you dont know dont come up with some half brained comment .....by the way it is all by age groups my little on goes every week my older one 1x per month

Comment

Sorry, I didn't mean to make a comment that upset you. I apologize.

Comment

If you dont know dont come up with some half brained comment .....by the way it is all by age groups my little on goes every week my older one 1x per month
            Maybe you need to smarten up!

Comment

Does anyone know how Region 1 players get selected? Or how you get an invite to the summer cap for Region 1?

Comment

Seems to be an opaque selection process. Soccer is such a judgment call, unlike other sports where you can measure stats (FG%, Batting Avg, etc.).

You can look at a kid and see they have speed and technical strength and a great attitude but then another kid gets chosen.

I think like most things in life, it is not always merit based - seems to be a lot of politics involved

Comment

It’s pretty simple...the summer camp that was held at URI (now Gettysburg). Players compete and are judged by various ODP coaches from different states. From there you make the December Camp in Hersey. Usually from there a Region 1 Team is selected.
                  I don’t think it’s political in a sense that a coaches kid makes it or I’ll select your kid if you select mine, but a state like Mass and NY get a majority of the selections because they send a lot of kids to the ODP camps. RI does ok, they usually get 1 kid per age group on the Region 1 Team. Although many of those kids left ODP to play DA. MKM for instance.

Comment

It’s pretty simple...the summer camp that was held at URI (now Gettysburg). Players compete and are judged by various ODP coaches from different states. From there you make the December Camp in Hersey. Usually from there a Region 1 Team is selected.
                    I don’t think it’s political in a sense that a coaches kid makes it or I’ll select your kid if you select mine, but a state like Mass and NY get a majority of the selections because they send a lot of kids to the ODP camps. RI does ok, they usually get 1 kid per age group on the Region 1 Team. Although many of those kids left ODP to play DA. MKM for instance.
                    Getting selected to the Region 1 pool is a major achievement for a youth player. It sets a player apart from their peers. It boosts their exposure and reputation. Making the regional pool won’t alone get you a scholarship but it definitely raises your chances.

Comment

MKM never left ODP. She played ODP throughout her eligibility. She has not played a minute of DA due to injury.

Comment

CM seems to run a great program out of RI. Pushes the kids appropriately and wants them to develop. Boys coaches are strong, too.

It's sad that ODP is getting pushed aside a bit by DA, as think ODP is a better system

Comment

and there it is!

Getting selected to the Region 1 pool is a major achievement for a youth player. It sets a player apart from their peers. It boosts their exposure and reputation. Making the regional pool won’t alone get you a scholarship but it definitely raises your chances.
                          Scholarship! One last time that isn't happening. If your kid is there for a scholarship you would do better spending all that time at a PT job.

Comment

Scholarship! One last time that isn't happening. If your kid is there for a scholarship you would do better spending all that time at a PT job.
                            You’re entitled to your opinion, but most of the RI girls who signed yesterday were part of the RI ODP program for a large part of their youth soccer years.

Comment

ODP in RI is a quality product. Better than DA experience up in Mass.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X