Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much is your kid worth?

Surely, there’s no answer to that question; they’re priceless. But what I am seeing in youth sports clubs lately makes me think that priceless is getting more expensive. We’re paying for them to do everything and at younger ages. The gear, the fees, the uniforms, and the professional trainers.

A few years ago a friend and I had a good laugh about a parent who actually brought his nine year old football player for personal training at the local health club. He wanted the kid to get a leg up on the competition. No one is laughing any more. Parents are flocking to “professionals” (defined I guess as people who take money to perform the training) to put their kids through their paces in their sport of choice. And this, on top of three practices a week the kid already attends.

The thinking, I guess, is “if some is good, more must be better.” Let me buy my kid better. If we have the money and want to be responsible parents we are supposed to do all we can for our kids, right? If the kid is bouncing up and down to play more soccer, shoot more hoops, or swim more laps…then maybe it’s right for your kid.

But the trend I see isn’t just with the singular kid, it’s with the whole team or the whole club. They bring in a professional to supplement what the volunteers are doing in the hopes that all the kids will step up to the big time. In competitive sports terms, the big time means: they will win.

And let’s make no mistake, when we pay for something, we expect to get what we pay for. Even if we don’t admit it, when we pay for training we expect our kids to play better. We expect wins.
    So, what happens if wins don’t come? Do we find another trainer, another team? Or do we ask, is this as good as my kid is gonna get? is this worth it? Are we insisting he go to practice even though he’s exhausted, has tons of homework and is coming down with a cold because…we paid for it.

Does money leave us “no choice”?

This “professionalism” of the playing field has me nervous because I’m not sure, as parents; we recognize what is driving our decisions about our kid and his play. Every time we write that check – for training, travel, tournaments – does it say ‘we love you’ to our kids? Or do we think, this better be worth it? Because by the time we’ve funded all of this, we’ve spent what we were saving for college tuition. Now he really needs that college scholarship.

No pressure.

Very well written point of view

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Surely, there’s no answer to that question; they’re priceless. But what I am seeing in youth sports clubs lately makes me think that priceless is getting more expensive. We’re paying for them to do everything and at younger ages. The gear, the fees, the uniforms, and the professional trainers.

A few years ago a friend and I had a good laugh about a parent who actually brought his nine year old football player for personal training at the local health club. He wanted the kid to get a leg up on the competition. No one is laughing any more. Parents are flocking to “professionals” (defined I guess as people who take money to perform the training) to put their kids through their paces in their sport of choice. And this, on top of three practices a week the kid already attends.

The thinking, I guess, is “if some is good, more must be better.” Let me buy my kid better. If we have the money and want to be responsible parents we are supposed to do all we can for our kids, right? If the kid is bouncing up and down to play more soccer, shoot more hoops, or swim more laps…then maybe it’s right for your kid.

But the trend I see isn’t just with the singular kid, it’s with the whole team or the whole club. They bring in a professional to supplement what the volunteers are doing in the hopes that all the kids will step up to the big time. In competitive sports terms, the big time means: they will win.

And let’s make no mistake, when we pay for something, we expect to get what we pay for. Even if we don’t admit it, when we pay for training we expect our kids to play better. We expect wins.
      So, what happens if wins don’t come? Do we find another trainer, another team? Or do we ask, is this as good as my kid is gonna get? is this worth it? Are we insisting he go to practice even though he’s exhausted, has tons of homework and is coming down with a cold because…we paid for it.

This “professionalism” of the playing field has me nervous because I’m not sure, as parents; we recognize what is driving our decisions about our kid and his play. Every time we write that check – for training, travel, tournaments – does it say ‘we love you’ to our kids? Or do we think, this better be worth it? Because by the time we’ve funded all of this, we’ve spent what we were saving for college tuition. Now he really needs that college scholarship.

No pressure.
      I love this web site, frustrated individuals; parents with no common sense at all; non-licensed coaches feeling pressure from losing their extra income in all procrastinators that will always find something to complain about, do have a venue to exteriorize their anger; their fears. Grow up, take little Jose to the next YMCA and have him playing fussball in an a/c room. You are pathetic, may be it happens that you are a democrat interested in more government control over our lives and perhaps there should be a new government department that regulates what parents which to do with their hard earned money (not yours). This is a free country ^$*^%$*^% head and the beauty is that people work hard and do what they think is best with their money. By the way do a research and you will find out that indeed in all sports and in all countries where children can start early, they are indeed doing so and with success. I wonder if Mommy or Daddy never invested in you, just like you criticize others and then you found out that your time passed; that you could have been actually good at what you liked but yet you were channeled to get a degree; join the working force; get married and watch your favorite sports on TV; get happy with a few beers and dream if what you could have done, if you have had parents investing in your inside dreams not the society imposed rules and paths.

Comment

No pressure.
        We are in a supporting role and I don't mean supporting a clubs bottom line. As parents all you can do is put your child into the best situation to be successful. What they do from there is all up to them.

Comment

Thank you for posting your November article, Wendy Lebolt.

Comment

I knew it, another one trying to make money by criticizing others that do, clever way of getting people to visit her web sites, garbage.

Comment

This has been taking place in Europe for decades, except the professional club teams pay for the fitness centers and high priced trainers.

Comment

So..........................................

Do not over pay for your kids training with professional coaches!.......................................... stop I meant with other coaches, spend it with me!!! Visit my one of my pages and send your money to me. Read my articles, keep your kids at home, feel better, not rushed or pressured to take them to that extra practice, you will feel at ease and I will take care of your money. HAHAHA

http://fit2finish.com/2011/11/18/you...en-money-wins/

Comment

Do not pay for private training at all. Get with a good club with good coaches and have them point out what the kid can do on their own time to improve. Then follow up with the coach to see how they are progressing; and then have the coach tell you what the kid should start working on next.

Get the guidance from the coach and have the kid do the work on their own. Trust me, this can't be beat. At one time I did pay for training. Would never do it again as what I have described above WORKS as long as the player is motivated.

Comment

If you have the money to spare I would pay for private training, I do. It is difficult for a coach who sees 16 to 18 players twice a week for about an hour and half to pinpoint every development issue your kid may have and only focus on your kid improving.

Private training is for that individual breakdown of the technique that your coach may not be able to focus on your kid for an hour. It would be similar to playing an instrument. You dont just practice at band practice in school. Many take lessons to improve. I am satisfied with our kid doing personal training. It's not for everyone as you can see from previous poster.

Comment

Do not pay for private training at all. Get with a good club with good coaches and have them point out what the kid can do on their own time to improve. Then follow up with the coach to see how they are progressing; and then have the coach tell you what the kid should start working on next.

Get the guidance from the coach and have the kid do the work on their own. Trust me, this can't be beat. At one time I did pay for training. Would never do it again as what I have described above WORKS as long as the player is motivated.
                      Yes, I agree a child must be self motivated and practice on their own. However, saying that private training isn't worthwhile is just a stupid generalization of a bad experience. Good club and good coaches- good luck with that one too.

Comment

We get our children the best; schools, sports, clothing etc. We don't want them growing up as second class citizens. Build that mind-set in them and they'll stand out.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X