Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the real reason...

Everyone I talk to firmly denies wanting any college scholarship money out of all this. Their daughter loves soccer so much and loves to compete. Blah blah blah. Why am I having a hard time believing this to be true? Why do people spend thousands a year for no return when they could be saving that money for college? What is the real reason?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Everyone I talk to firmly denies wanting any college scholarship money out of all this. Their daughter loves soccer so much and loves to compete. Blah blah blah. Why am I having a hard time believing this to be true? Why do people spend thousands a year for no return when they could be saving that money for college? What is the real reason?
    You are relentless. It's not people wouldn't want it, or that everyone would turn it down. It's just that others don't see falling short of that or making other choices to be an obviously bad thing like you do. Be confident in your take and let others have theirs. You just for whatever reason are incapable of doing that.

Comment

When kids are focused in any sport it is healthy and keeps them out of trouble. For me my kid just loves it and I support her. The money is not even an issue. I work and get more. The ride to practices and games are quality times shared and priceless. I am sure we will all miss this when it is all gone. The rest is really secondary. Why does it always have to have something attached to it?

Comment

You are relentless. It's not people wouldn't want it, or that everyone would turn it down. It's just that others don't see falling short of that or making other choices to be an obviously bad thing like you do. Be confident in your take and let others have theirs. You just for whatever reason are incapable of doing that.
        I'm sorry, but do I know you? Your post makes no sense and doesn't remotely answer the question. Please read slowly. Sound it out if you have to. Then answer accordingly. Thank you and have a pleasant day.

Comment

When kids are focused in any sport it is healthy and keeps them out of trouble. For me my kid just loves it and I support her. The money is not even an issue. I work and get more. The ride to practices and games are quality times shared and priceless. I am sure we will all miss this when it is all gone. The rest is really secondary. Why does it always have to have something attached to it?
          If that's the case what's wrong with travel soccer? Before the days of these big premier soccer clubs? If what you're saying is indeed true, wouldn't club soccer fulfill all those things you mentioned? That is a serious question.

Comment

Some of us aren't poors like you.

Comment

If you're not poor than why can't you pay for your daughter to go to college pops?

Comment

90% are living vicariously through their kids. Simple as that. You hear the desperation in their voices during the games. The kids face when they look to see their dads reaction of disappointment when they miss their shots. I can only imagine those long car rides home. It's so pathetically sad.

Comment

You mean quality times teaching her every aspect of the game? Drilling her with every little mistake she made? What she could have done better? I'm sure all of what you're saying is true.

Comment

I see plenty of Kia mini vans in the parking lots. Kids with 10 year old hand me down cleats. Let's be real here. Plenty of poor parents looking to make a dream a reality.

Comment

If that's the case what's wrong with travel soccer? Before the days of these big premier soccer clubs? If what you're saying is indeed true, wouldn't club soccer fulfill all those things you mentioned? That is a serious question.
                      It works for some and not for others. Some want to be challenged at higher level and it could require some traveling and money. I am not saying that you will not find parents living through their children's life or chasing scholarships. We tend to lose the sight of what sport is and it can be a daunting task for many. But there are quiet few that are really using sports for what they are and enjoying their children's participation.

Comment

If you're not poor than why can't you pay for your daughter to go to college pops?
                        Speak for yourself, Oliver Twist. Have cash on hand. Not an issue. It's a fuking hobby, for fun. No dream of $$ needed.

Comment

We live in a small town with a mediocre travel soccer program.

Why my son plays...
                          Loves the game.
                          Loves playing at a higher level, with kids that are mostly more invested than what you would get at travel.
                          Gets to meet kids from other towns/communities.
                          Has fun while getting exercise.

Why we like it....
                          Exercise.
                          Meeting new kids builds social skills.
                          Learning to deal with disappointment in losses, tryouts, etc.
                          Learning to get along with others and be part of a team.
                          Respect, sportsmanship, determination, hard work, etc. all great life lessons.

We look at the per hour cost the same way as we would look at other lessons like music, dance, karate, etc.

The cost is worth it for us given the fun and life lessons our son is getting out of it.

That being said, we can afford it. If we couldn't, we wouldn't.

I know many people that put their club fees before every day bills. I don't really understand that. I suspect those are the parents chasing scholarships or living vicariously through their kids.

Comment

Poor people have to worry less about how they are going to put their kid through college over people with 3 kids and a decent salary, believe it or not chudstuffer.

Comment

We live in a small town with a mediocre travel soccer program.

Why my son plays...
                              Loves the game.
                              Loves playing at a higher level, with kids that are mostly more invested than what you would get at travel.
                              Gets to meet kids from other towns/communities.
                              Has fun while getting exercise.

Why we like it....
                              Exercise.
                              Meeting new kids builds social skills.
                              Learning to deal with disappointment in losses, tryouts, etc.
                              Learning to get along with others and be part of a team.
                              Respect, sportsmanship, determination, hard work, etc. all great life lessons.

We look at the per hour cost the same way as we would look at other lessons like music, dance, karate, etc.

The cost is worth it for us given the fun and life lessons our son is getting out of it.

That being said, we can afford it. If we couldn't, we wouldn't.

I know many people that put their club fees before every day bills. I don't really understand that. I suspect those are the parents chasing scholarships or living vicariously through their kids.
                              Disposable income for your sons hobby. Yeah. That's almost believable.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X