Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You know you are comparing outdoor stadium attendance numbers to much smaller indoor arena number right? Furthermore NBA and NHL tickets are at least twice to thrice the average MLS ticket prices and play more than twice the number if games. Both also have (especially NBA) far larger tv and merchandising contracts. Also NBA and NHL dont give away nearly as many tickets (or group prices) as MLS does. You can frame the numbers any way you want but MLS is nothing compated to NBA, MLB or even NHL.
    Viewership isn't the same for soccer either beyond big international events

Comment

I would say you need more experience with high end youth soccer if you don't see that a fairly affluent demographic is mostly playing.
      Never said that’s not the case. That’s just the demographic where the bulk of the passion for this sport in the US. There is no evidence to the contrary.

Comment

Never said that’s not the case. That’s just the demographic where the bulk of the passion for this sport in the US. There is no evidence to the contrary.
        Ok. I misunderstood what you were trying to say. Low income kids are not excluded from this expensive sport, they just are not interested. Got it. Just they are not interested in sailing, or golfing, or tennis, or SAT prep courses, or good health care. Nothing to do with the cost, just not interested.

Comment

Ok. I misunderstood what you were trying to say. Low income kids are not excluded from this expensive sport, they just are not interested. Got it. Just they are not interested in sailing, or golfing, or tennis, or SAT prep courses, or good health care. Nothing to do with the cost, just not interested.
          Nailed it. I came from one of those very low income communities and have first hand knowledge in the apathy of my peers. There was interest in certain sports for sure but not soccer, except for those ethnic minorities that had a family culture for the sport.

You sound like a super liberal trying to rig a system so the outcome is equal for all. It will never work. Never has anywhere in the world. Plenty of evidence of that and zero evidence that a non-pay to play system works without the underlying passion for a sport.

Comment

Nailed it. I came from one of those very low income communities and have first hand knowledge in the apathy of my peers. There was interest in certain sports for sure but not soccer, except for those ethnic minorities that had a family culture for the sport.

You sound like a super liberal trying to rig a system so the outcome is equal for all. It will never work. Never has anywhere in the world. Plenty of evidence of that and zero evidence that a non-pay to play system works without the underlying passion for a sport.
            lol. Even you would be a liberal compared to me. Anyway, you sound clueless but dont take it from me. There is analysis after analysis from soccer expert after soccer expert (and the almighty USSF itself) about the destructive effects of pay to play soccer.

Comment

lol. Even you would be a liberal compared to me. Anyway, you sound clueless but dont take it from me. There is analysis after analysis from soccer expert after soccer expert (and the almighty USSF itself) about the destructive effects of pay to play soccer.
              Provide the link to the best analysis?

Comment

Provide the link to the best analysis?
                Not the poster, but there is no doubt what we've got going now isn't working.

Comment

Not the poster, but there is no doubt what we've got going now isn't working.
                  Agree. Mirroring the Academy that’s been in place on the boys side isn’t a solution either. When your National teams fails to qualify for the World Cup it’s time for a reset.

Comment

Agree. Mirroring the Academy that’s been in place on the boys side isn’t a solution either. When your National teams fails to qualify for the World Cup it’s time for a reset.
                    Asking, as I don't know, but how many of the Men's players were from DA? I can't seem to find that information. And, if you do know, how many were in it from a full cyle (i.e. young age through to NT Selection)?

Comment

Asking, as I don't know, but how many of the Men's players were from DA? I can't seem to find that information. And, if you do know, how many were in it from a full cyle (i.e. young age through to NT Selection)?
                      Not many, primarily because the team is quite old (another issue that is separate regarding talent selection) and DA is only ten years old. Pulisic, who is one of the youngest and a rising star was DA but the vast majority of his training and experiences came from having parents who played/coached and sought international opportunities for him. His experience is not at all typical. Mallory Pugh, another young star, trained with the boys teams at her clubs and played games with the girls. She also played HS until her senior year.

Comment

Not many, primarily because the team is quite old (another issue that is separate regarding talent selection) and DA is only ten years old. Pulisic, who is one of the youngest and a rising star was DA but the vast majority of his training and experiences came from having parents who played/coached and sought international opportunities for him. His experience is not at all typical. Mallory Pugh, another young star, trained with the boys teams at her clubs and played games with the girls. She also played HS until her senior year.
                        Isnt that an issue then that they have not trained kids well enough to put them into a position to beat out a 34 year old without this special DA training???

Comment

Why do we see Pugh s asucces?

1. Poor record at YNT level when facing good teams
                          2. Poor record with Washington Spirit
                          3. One dimensinal with NT, usually vs weak teams

she seems like another in a long line of fast, athletic players who dont offer much more than that .

Comment

Why do we see Pugh s asucces?

1. Poor record at YNT level when facing good teams
                            2. Poor record with Washington Spirit
                            3. One dimensinal with NT, usually vs weak teams

she seems like another in a long line of fast, athletic players who dont offer much more than that .
                            She's still young, will see where she goes. If she flames out then passing on a free ride to a top school is a lesson for all.

Comment

Isnt that an issue then that they have not trained kids well enough to put them into a position to beat out a 34 year old without this special DA training???
                              Take a look at the most recent MLS draft - almost half were international players - and rosters at colleges - many international players. Our DA players are losing out to players who have been rejected by international academies. That to me says it all. International is less of a factor in women's soccer but is growing quickly. GEDA won't help stop that flow either but the good news is there aren't as many quality female players around the globe like with the men's side

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X