Politics again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did Pat Caddell get brought into this discussion? He is a nobody. You're basing your views on someone more disingenuous than Liebermann, and that's saying something.

And I'm sure you guys are right. Obama is right in the back pocket of Wellpoint and United HealthCare. As soon as he's done cashing in on his stock options he'll rip off his mask and prove all you guys right that he is really a Islamic terrorist. He is such a scary guy. Make sure you point an extra gated security fence around your already fenced in gated community.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Ok, this was Feb 21 on Face the Nation:

"Like this Story? Share it:

Share On Facebook

Play CBS Video
      Video

People Want To See "Compromise, Progress"

In an exclusive interview, Colin Powell spoke with Bob Schieffer about the state of politics in the U.S. and how people don't want to see the parties bickering but to get the country moving in the right direction.

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell on "Face the Nation," Sunday, Feb. 21, 2010. (CBS)
      (CBS) Claims that the United States is less safe under President Obama are not credible, former Secretary of State Colin Powell said on "Face the Nation" Sunday.

He also challenged criticism by some (including former Vice President Dick Cheney, who say that by not using extreme interrogation techniques such as waterboarding on terror suspects the United States is more vulnerable.

"The point is made, 'We don't waterboard anymore or use extreme interrogation techniques.' Most of those extreme interrogation techniques and waterboarding were done away with in the Bush administration," Powell said. "They've been made officially done away with in this current administration"

Not recent enough for you?
      What does that have to do with health care?

Comment

Ok, this was Feb 21 on Face the Nation:

"Like this Story? Share it:

Share On Facebook

Play CBS Video
        Video

People Want To See "Compromise, Progress"

In an exclusive interview, Colin Powell spoke with Bob Schieffer about the state of politics in the U.S. and how people don't want to see the parties bickering but to get the country moving in the right direction.

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell on "Face the Nation," Sunday, Feb. 21, 2010. (CBS)
        (CBS) Claims that the United States is less safe under President Obama are not credible, former Secretary of State Colin Powell said on "Face the Nation" Sunday.

He also challenged criticism by some (including former Vice President Dick Cheney, who say that by not using extreme interrogation techniques such as waterboarding on terror suspects the United States is more vulnerable.

"The point is made, 'We don't waterboard anymore or use extreme interrogation techniques.' Most of those extreme interrogation techniques and waterboarding were done away with in the Bush administration," Powell said. "They've been made officially done away with in this current administration"

Not recent enough for you?
        Did you miss this part?

Comment

yes, you really care about the direction of the democratic party and you show that by posting clips of David Horowitz, far right wing racist, Scott Wheeler, a Republican, and Pat Caddel, someone who left the party two decades ago.
          There you go again. Trying to attack the messenger. Pat Caddell is still an active member of the Democratic Party and no one has asked you to listen to Horowitz or Wheeler. Keep proving your close minded bias.

Comment

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6228759.shtml

Overall extremely supportive of Obama.
            "No, I don't think it is broken. I think it is in trouble," Powell responded. "I think the American people are watching it and saying, 'You know, our founding fathers intended for people to argue and have strong views on both sides of an issue. But just as they did in Philadelphia when they were writing the Constitution, sooner or later, you've got to compromise. You've got to start making the compromises that arrive at a consensus and move the country forward.'

"In some ways the government is functioning. It's doing what it's supposed to do, but not well enough. The American people, I think, see the extreme positions being taken, too left on the Democratic side, too far right on the Republican side, the Tea Party movement is also now become a force in American politics. Of course, you've got the overhang of cable television and the Internet, all of which heightens tension and makes it harder and harder for our political leaders in the Senate or in the Congress to quietly make the compromises that are necessary.

"So our system is not broken. It's a great system. But it's in some disarray right now," Powell said. "The American people are looking for their leaders to fix it. They're looking for the White House to fix it. They're looking for leaders in both the Republican Party and the Democratic Party in the House and Senate to start finding ways to compromise and get the country moving and not just scream at each other."

This is Powell's way of saying the cup is half full and he'd prefer to view it that way instead of saying it's half empty and he made a mistake. No surprise there.

Comment

"No, I don't think it is broken. I think it is in trouble," Powell responded. "I think the American people are watching it and saying, 'You know, our founding fathers intended for people to argue and have strong views on both sides of an issue. But just as they did in Philadelphia when they were writing the Constitution, sooner or later, you've got to compromise. You've got to start making the compromises that arrive at a consensus and move the country forward.'

"In some ways the government is functioning. It's doing what it's supposed to do, but not well enough. The American people, I think, see the extreme positions being taken, too left on the Democratic side, too far right on the Republican side, the Tea Party movement is also now become a force in American politics. Of course, you've got the overhang of cable television and the Internet, all of which heightens tension and makes it harder and harder for our political leaders in the Senate or in the Congress to quietly make the compromises that are necessary.

"So our system is not broken. It's a great system. But it's in some disarray right now," Powell said. "The American people are looking for their leaders to fix it. They're looking for the White House to fix it. They're looking for leaders in both the Republican Party and the Democratic Party in the House and Senate to start finding ways to compromise and get the country moving and not just scream at each other."

This is Powell's way of saying the cup is half full and he'd prefer to view it that way instead of saying it's half empty and he made a mistake. No surprise there.
              Right. This is his way of saying he made a mistake. According to no one but you.

First you say Powell hasn't shown any support lately.

Then when you are shown he has, you offer your own personal interpretation of what he really meant.

Transparent BS. Anything you can do to further your hate agenda.

Comment

There you go again. Trying to attack the messenger. Pat Caddell is still an active member of the Democratic Party and no one has asked you to listen to Horowitz or Wheeler. Keep proving your close minded bias.
                Did you miss this part upthread -

"In 1988, Caddell left the Democratic Party.."

Still an active member of the Democratic party according to who, Caddell himself? More bald lies on your part.

He will say that of course because it enhances his appeal when FOX brings him in to bash thge Democrats. That's FOX's idea of fair and balanced. You have a panel with a Republican and also a former Democrat like Caddell who claims to be one as he bashes away.

Comment

Nothing in here is critical of Obama. His main criticism of Obama in the piece was that he underestimated how oppositional the Republicans were.

Comment

Right. This is his way of saying he made a mistake. According to no one but you.

First you say Powell hasn't shown any support lately.

Then when you are shown he has, you offer your own personal interpretation of what he really meant.

Transparent BS. Anything you can do to further your hate agenda.
                    Are we speaking of Colin Powell, George Bush's Secretary of State, who made a case to the UN for the invasion of Iraq based on WMDs? Obviously the man is occasionally known to make bad decisions.

Comment

Are we speaking of Colin Powell, George Bush's Secretary of State, who made a case to the UN for the invasion of Iraq based on WMDs? Obviously the man is occasionally known to make bad decisions.
                      True. Everyone makes mistakes. Especially when fed steaming pile of cooked intelligence by the CIA like Powell was. To his credit, Powell has at least owned up to the error.

There is still no question that he has far greater standing than "Canary in a coal mine" Cadell, who in 2004 predicted the demise of the Democratic party two years prior to their 2006 retaking of the House and four years before the greatest Democratic landslide of all time in 2008.

Nice one, Pat.

Comment

True. Everyone makes mistakes. Especially when fed steaming pile of cooked intelligence by the CIA like Powell was. To his credit, Powell has at least owned up to the error.

There is still no question that he has far greater standing than "Canary in a coal mine" Cadell, who in 2004 predicted the demise of the Democratic party two years prior to their 2006 retaking of the House and four years before the greatest Democratic landslide of all time in 2008.

Nice one, Pat.
                        We'll have to disagree on Caddell. You do so at your own peril though. The infighting has already begun and will get worse as November approaches. Currently it looks like Axelrod may become the Obama administration's scapegoat, and Rahn (sell his own mother for a vote) Emanuel the hero.

As far as Powell and the health care bill is concerned. It's tough to find anything recent on his feeling toward the bill, but.....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_225763.html

July 4, 2009
                        WASHINGTON — Colin Powell worries that President Barack Obama is trying to tackle too many big issues at one time and he offers this advice: take a hard look at costs and consider the additional red tape that will be created.

"The right answer is, `Give me a government that works,'" the former secretary of state said in a television interview to be aired Sunday. "Keep it as small as possible," added Powell, who said he has spoken recently with Obama and stays in touch with him. Powell, a Republican, endorsed Obama last year over the GOP presidential nominee, Arizona Sen. John McCain.

Obama wants to overhaul the health care system and take on climate change while also helping the country emerge from the recession.

"I think one of the cautions that has to be given to the president _ and I've talked to some of his people about this _ is that you can't have so many things on the table that you can't absorb it all. And we can't pay for it all," Powell said.

"And I never would have believed that we would have budgets that are running into the multi-trillions of dollars, and we are amassing a huge, huge national debt that, if we don't pay for in our lifetime, our kids and grandkids and great grandchildren will have to pay for it."

It's not a new theme for Powell

He complained about the government's size and intrusiveness in his 1996 speech to the Republican National Convention. He said then that the nation no longer could afford more entitlements, higher taxes and more bureaucracy. In the interview with CNN's "State of the Union" that is to air Sunday, Powell said he hasn't changed his mind.

"Keep it as small as possible. Keep the tax burden on the American people as small as possible, but at the same time, have government that is solving the problems of the people," he said.

He said Obama "has to start really taking a very, very hard look at what the cost of all this is. And, how much additional bureaucracy and will it be effective bureaucracy."

CNN released excerpts of the interview in advance of the broadcast.
                        There is also a similiar article from the Washington Post the day before, but I thought I'd present the liberal version.

Comment

Interesting interview this morning in which Mike Capuano gave his views of the current health care bill. He says he won't vote for the senate version of the health care bill, because it would hurt Massachustts. He also said he would prefer that they pull the bill apart and vote item by item, rather than attempt to push the whole bill through just for the sake of getting something passed. I support Capuano on this. I fear that egos have gotten in the way on both sides and instead of doing what is right for the American people, we are now in a whose going to come out the winner ideology from both sides. In the process we taxpayers are going to be the ones left holding the bag.

What no one seems to be addressing is the fact that Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security are all on the verge of bankruptcy. How are we possibly going to pay for all these programs?

Comment

Interesting interview this morning in which Mike Capuano gave his views of the current health care bill. He says he won't vote for the senate version of the health care bill, because it would hurt Massachustts. He also said he would prefer that they pull the bill apart and vote item by item, rather than attempt to push the whole bill through just for the sake of getting something passed. I support Capuano on this. I fear that egos have gotten in the way on both sides and instead of doing what is right for the American people, we are now in a whose going to come out the winner ideology from both sides. In the process we taxpayers are going to be the ones left holding the bag.

What no one seems to be addressing is the fact that Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security are all on the verge of bankruptcy. How are we possibly going to pay for all these programs?
                            Congress is utterly dysfunctional. Both parties.

And sorry. SS etc are not going bankrupt. The federal government has used the surpluses to fund the military industrial complex. The military budget does not provide one cent of revenue. SS takes in more than it spends and has done so every year since it's inception.

We spend 50% of what get's spent in the entire world on our military. The military needs to cut its technology budget in half, spend more money on the troops in terms of pay, training, and health care after deployment. Why do we need 15 aircraft carriers, or the Osprey, or the JSF. Just stop it.

Take half of what we spend on developing things to kill people and take that money and use it to educate, house and heal people. It is WJWD. But it is funny how the Conservatives who love Jesus and the ones who love Guns and killing people so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Cujo View Post
                              Congress is utterly dysfunctional. Both parties.

And sorry. SS etc are not going bankrupt. The federal government has used the surpluses to fund the military industrial complex. The military budget does not provide one cent of revenue. SS takes in more than it spends and has done so every year since it's inception.

We spend 50% of what get's spent in the entire world on our military. The military needs to cut its technology budget in half, spend more money on the troops in terms of pay, training, and health care after deployment. Why do we need 15 aircraft carriers, or the Osprey, or the JSF. Just stop it.

Take half of what we spend on developing things to kill people and take that money and use it to educate, house and heal people. It is WJWD. But it is funny how the Conservatives who love Jesus and the ones who love Guns and killing people so much.

I don't think that's how it works. Money going to Social Security are separate from money going to the military. You can cut back the military budget and it does not affect SS. It perhaps makes the overall taxes Americans pay less, but to keep SS afloat there has to be an additional source of revenue or benefits have to be cut to offset lack of revenues and nobody wants to make that sacrifice. I'm assuming Medicare and Medicaid are the same, although there is not a specific tax collected as there is with SS.

I don't think anyone has a clue about how much the health care bill will really cost, but if Massachusetts is an example, it will cost more than the estimates and that's why I believe the bill has to do a better job of containing costs. Even then I think we can expect it to cost more than anticipated, but I do believe health care reform a necessity. What I can't understand is why there seems an aversion to addressing cost control incentives as part of the legislation. It just seems like common sense to me, but common sense seems to be a rare commodity in politics.

Comment

Either more intentional lying or ignorant and uninformed shooting from the hip. These programs are not on the verge of bankruptcy, particularly Social Security. Let's look at the facts according to what the Social Security Administration has to say:

" * In 2017, Social Security will begin paying out more than it takes in. For the first time, it will have to use the interest being paid on the securities it holds in order to meet its obligations.

* In 2027, Social Security would have to start redeeming the securities themselves.

* By 2041, Social Security would have cashed in the last security, and the system would have enough revenue to pay out only 75% of promised benefits. That percentage would drop over time if Congress failed to act. "

The trust fund wouldn't dry up until 2046, that doesn't make it bankrupt. They could just support benefits at a lower rate without the trust fund. Keep in mind that as the aging worker bubble passes after the next decades, SS taxes will be more able to keep pace with benefits.

I should be on the verge of bankruptcy like SS is. To be able to support my current lifestyle until 2041 while doing NOTHING would be a luxury. We should expect that even the idiots in Washington could tweak the program enough over three decades that they have to act so that the program continues to remain solvent for the program's second hundred years.

Over one trillion dollars has been raided (not including interest) from the SS trust fund overthe years. Johnson raided it to help pay for Vietnam and Bush raided it tohelppay for Iraq and Afghanistan (in addition to borrowing from the Chinese). Politicians don't really want to pay that money back. That is what they are good at.

Republicans pump the hysteria because they want the remnants of the trust + future SS payments from workers to wind up in "private"retirement accounts. "Private" means run by the criminals on Wall Street who can then pi$$ away retirement savings of the lower and middle classes while laughing all the way to the bank themselves. Teabaggers hate SS because like everything else they believe, if it is run by the gubmint it must be bad, bad, bad. They are too ignorant to appreciate what a successful program it is.

Anyone who makes the claim that SS is on the verge on bankruptcy is either a bald faced liar or so ignorant they should be supervised 24/7 for being a danger to themselves and others.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X