Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok then good for her - you go girl.
    if no-one's going to really enforce any rules, then do as you want.
    of course you have to pay the club fee, no small amount.
    but it's free to play in high school, you pay the taxes anyway.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl0hMfqNQ-g

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      ...she shows up on the rosters for 2 games in the Fall for a total of 77 minutes; both games were very early in the season...

3 games - also played in a DA game on Oct 13th.
      All pretty easy to see in the game reports: http://seac.ussoccerda.com/sam/teams/index.php?team=7649396
      Technically, GDA rules state that players are not supposed to play any other sport (soccer or otherwise) if they do DA. Many clubs play it pretty fast and loose with waivers or not rostering a kid until after HS season--particularly clubs that have less depth of talent to choose from--they need the numbers to field teams. And some of them completely ignore the rules, but US Soccer does nothing about it anyway.

When Stars had GDA, they were very strict with waivers (not even sure they granted any) and many of their top players refused to give up HS soccer (and in some cases, other sports). One of the reasons they dropped GDA after one year.

Comment

Are there any actual GDA parents reading this forum topic?
        Would be interesting to get their perspective.
        Do you care if some players are operating under different rules to yours?
        Have you experienced private school kids joining the squad half way through the season using a waiver? How do the rest of the players deal with potentially less playing time?
        When public school kids ignore the rules, do they even bother getting a waiver - or just ignore the rules and there's no action?
        What does the club actually say to you at the parents's meeting?
        Does it come down to the coach?
        Does every coach have different rules?

Comment

- Official DA waivers are only for prep/private school kids. Forms have to be completed and both the club and USDA have to approve it prior to the season starts (which is very soon). If you get a waiver you are not allowed to play DA as long as your HS team is still playing, not even practices.

- Public school kids get no official waivers. But, 1) some clubs give a wink wink and let them play fall HS soccer then add them on to the roster once their HS team is done. Technically within the rules but not in the spirit of them. 2) Some clubs also look the other the way while their DA rostered kids do both. However, if caught the club can be sanctioned. In general these kids will stand out on a HS team so it's pretty hard to hide.

- Official or unofficial, clubs will only give "waivers" to the studs and not many of them. They can't play 2-3 months with half a team.

Comment

Technically, GDA rules state that players are not supposed to play any other sport (soccer or otherwise) if they do DA. Many clubs play it pretty fast and loose with waivers or not rostering a kid until after HS season--particularly clubs that have less depth of talent to choose from--they need the numbers to field teams. And some of them completely ignore the rules, but US Soccer does nothing about it anyway.

When Stars had GDA, they were very strict with waivers (not even sure they granted any) and many of their top players refused to give up HS soccer (and in some cases, other sports). One of the reasons they dropped GDA after one year.
            That is not true about other sports, just soccer. That said, the clubs will pressure you not to do another sport and you are not supposed to miss any DA event (practice or games) for any sport. A lot of HS coaches won't be to happy if you miss their events for DA soccer. Most players are hard core soccer so it's less of an issue. Trying to do DA and another sport is challenging both physically and time wise.

As for Stars GDA - initially USAD said no HS. Then clubs complained they couldn't get enough players so USDA grandfathered in HS ball for players who were already in HS. Year two the scraped the grandfathering because of too much abuse and GDA followed the same rules as BDA.

Comment

That makes some sense... Probably got “caught”, hand slapped and didn’t play in any other games until after school season ended. That’s my best guess anyway.
              You're probably right. DA kids are standouts on HS teams so people will notice. Technically DA clubs can add players up until early April. So wherever there is fall ball it's easy enough to keep public school kids off the official roster until early November when they wrap up HS.

Comment

so it will be interesting to see how this year plays out.
                if you're a stud and a valuable asset, will you still be able to bend the rules?
                on the flip side, how many of the mid to lower end DA roster players, who get less DA playing time but would likely have highly rewarding high school careers, actually end up in the same college playing situation that they would if they had just played high school and NPL? If so, could have avoided a lot of travel and saved a butt load of $$...

Comment

...she shows up on the rosters for 2 games in the Fall for a total of 77 minutes; both games were very early in the season...

3 games - also played in a DA game on Oct 13th.
                  All pretty easy to see in the game reports: http://seac.ussoccerda.com/sam/teams/index.php?team=7649396
                  My bad, missed that one...

Comment

Are there any actual GDA parents reading this forum topic? [Yes]

Do you care if some players are operating under different rules to yours? [Not really, I'd say it would "bother" me on a scale of 1-10, about a 1.5]

Have you experienced private school kids joining the squad half way through the season using a waiver? [Not yet]

How do the rest of the players deal with potentially less playing time? [Since we haven't experienced it yet, hard to say. However, we did add players during the year and some players had PT affected. It's hard for kids who always play a full game throughout their careers to suddenly not, but over time I think they adjusted]

When public school kids ignore the rules, do they even bother getting a waiver - or just ignore the rules and there's no action? [Objection, argumentative. Just kidding...it's my impression they ignored the rules but honestly not speaking from knowledge here]

What does the club actually say to you at the parents's meeting? [They are strongly against HS ball, not even considering DA. They are actually strongly against private school ball as well, as in their experience those who are away come back behind the others]

Does it come down to the coach? [Don't know, but the one who left seemed to be a little more loose with the rules than the others it seems to me]

Does every coach have different rules? [See above]
                    [Answers in-line]

Comment

so it will be interesting to see how this year plays out.
                      if you're a stud and a valuable asset, will you still be able to bend the rules?
                      on the flip side, how many of the mid to lower end DA roster players, who get less DA playing time but would likely have highly rewarding high school careers, actually end up in the same college playing situation that they would if they had just played high school and NPL? If so, could have avoided a lot of travel and saved a butt load of $$...
                      Sadly, there's always different rules in life for different people. High-performing Sales folks leave early; great players get "rest days" or miss time to be with "family". All you can do is do all you can and worry about yourselves.

To your last question, that is likely impossible to answer as it's dealing with an unrealizable hypothetical question. The only thing that matters is if they had fun doing whatever they wanted to do.

Comment

Wow, this sounds like a tough one - I don't have a kid in DA but as a parent I would struggle with this:

If my kid was a top player, no problem. I want the best playing environment for her, be challenged, face tough opposition. Yeah it's expensive and she's missing out on high school but she's getting her validation from DA because her coach/club values her and her team-mates know she's a critical part of whatever success they are having.

If my kid is a decent, middling player at this level, I'd still be ok with it. I might remind her she would probably be a top player on a Spring NPL/NEP team and scouts/coaches would probably quickly notice her at tournaments. But if she is enjoying it and getting regular playing time and not wishing too much she was part of the tight close-knit group of high school players.

If my kid is clearly in the bottom 1/3 of the group, ability-wise, maybe not getting as much time as others, I'd be really wondering if this is the best environment for her. If she was playing for her high school, she would probably be one of the top players, BMOC at the school, getting awards, all-state recognition, local news coverage, team Captain, MVP even. High school kids value these things, they build confidence and look back on them later.

In a highly populated area, there is probably less talent disparity in a DA club. But in an area like the NH seacoast, I wonder if there is there really enough talent to flesh out all the necessary DA teams...

Comment

Wow, this sounds like a tough one - I don't have a kid in DA but as a parent I would struggle with this:

If my kid was a top player, no problem. I want the best playing environment for her, be challenged, face tough opposition. Yeah it's expensive and she's missing out on high school but she's getting her validation from DA because her coach/club values her and her team-mates know she's a critical part of whatever success they are having.

If my kid is a decent, middling player at this level, I'd still be ok with it. I might remind her she would probably be a top player on a Spring NPL/NEP team and scouts/coaches would probably quickly notice her at tournaments. But if she is enjoying it and getting regular playing time and not wishing too much she was part of the tight close-knit group of high school players.

If my kid is clearly in the bottom 1/3 of the group, ability-wise, maybe not getting as much time as others, I'd be really wondering if this is the best environment for her. If she was playing for her high school, she would probably be one of the top players, BMOC at the school, getting awards, all-state recognition, local news coverage, team Captain, MVP even. High school kids value these things, they build confidence and look back on them later.

In a highly populated area, there is probably less talent disparity in a DA club. But in an area like the NH seacoast, I wonder if there is there really enough talent to flesh out all the necessary DA teams...
                          My opinion, is for the bottom 1/3 of a roster, it would depend on how good the other options are. If your HS isn't good, and there isn't a lot of club activity in the Fall, maybe you continue down that path? Yes, a lot of money but everyone looks at it from their own perspective I guess.

As for the talent on NH Seacoast, the teams are built from players basically East of I93. There are players from the Manch/Concord area, along with MA North Shore. I do know the 'talent disparity' is one thing DA has mentioned as an item that needs to improve from year 1 to year 2. I believe those steps have been taken.

Quick side note...your comment about the bottom 1/3 being All-State material isn't an opinion held by some on here. Not saying I disagree or agree, but the commentary on here often is the DA players are ho-hum and not even considered "good" by some posters...I just find it interesting how that was phrased.

Comment

Some posters don't consider EVERY DA player "good", especially at SUSC, while some think DA = stud, no matter what. Obviously neither assumption is 100% correct. The truth must lie in between.

I am nearly certain there are GDA players at SUSC that wouldn't make a DA team elsewhere. Not a knock on them, they deserve their SUSC spots as they're the top of that talent pool. But at a larger club like NEFC? Maybe not. In a different region? Maybe not. Does it matter? Nope. The talent pool is what it is right now.

Are there girls on the GDA teams who are legit studs and would be all-state or even studs on a GDA team in CA? Probably!

Obviously there are multiple posters with multiple, differing opinions on this forum. Why is that curious?

Comment

Obviously there are multiple posters with multiple, differing opinions on this forum. Why is that curious?
                              No reason, just found it interesting.

Comment

[Answers in-line]
                                If no high school practices or games are missed for DA and the club knows they are playing high school. Live with it and stop whining. Call Seacoast to complain because the NHIAA and the HS don't care. No rules are being broken according to them.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X