Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people care about women's soccer?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do people care about women's soccer?

I mean I get it a little bit, but why is it on talking-soccer that we talk about it so much more? I really don't mean to be sexist but they just suck! No ball skills, slow as hell, and just poor quality (the world cup is a great example of this). Sorry if this offends anyone but I just want to know the reason on why people care so much.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I mean I get it a little bit, but why is it on talking-soccer that we talk about it so much more? I really don't mean to be sexist but they just suck! No ball skills, slow as hell, and just poor quality (the world cup is a great example of this). Sorry if this offends anyone but I just want to know the reason on why people care so much.
    Because, in the US, soccer is a women's sport. It is successful and it is expected that they continue to be successful. They are expected to contend for a World Cup and Olympic gold in each tournament. That is why we care about it. Women's soccer is also the most popular of the women's sports and there has been an increase in adult women over the last decade to care more about fitness and athletics leading to many of their daughters to also care more.

Men's soccer is sort of a small thing. Most of the men in the US grew up playing football, baseball, basketball, Hockey and have their boys playing those sports. NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL are huge, with prime time games that are nationally televised where soccer is something we sort of care about once every 4 years. Soccer is sort of a niche thing in the US.

Comment

In the U.S. men who are real athletes don't play soccer - there is no reason to. If you are over six feet and have the coordination to play soccer you can play football or basketball and earn tons more money.

Comment

In the U.S. men who are real athletes don't play soccer - there is no reason to. If you are over six feet and have the coordination to play soccer you can play football or basketball and earn tons more money.
        I agree. The best female athletes play soccer in US. Best male athletes play football, basketball and baseball before soccer.

Comment

I agree. The best female athletes play soccer in US. Best male athletes play football, basketball and baseball before soccer.
          But even the worst men are still miles ahead of the best women. So again, why watch? The USWNT lost 5-2 to a U15 boys team. That is getting stomped. By 13 and 14 year old boys. Probably even a couple of 12 year olds. End of discussion.

Comment

But even the worst men are still miles ahead of the best women. So again, why watch? The USWNT lost 5-2 to a U15 boys team. That is getting stomped. By 13 and 14 year old boys. Probably even a couple of 12 year olds. End of discussion.
            They’re not getting stomped by 12-13 year olds, dumbass. Unless every player is Latin and has typical early puberty.

They will lose to boys as soon as they hit full blow puberty and start producing SEVEN TIMES the testosterone as women. Plus their body is at max HgH production. You’re basically comparing athletes that:

One athlete is on full blow athletic performance enhancing hormones (albeit natural)

Vs.

One that is not

It’s science, dvmbass, pure and simple.

Comment

The vast, vast majority of Americans only care about women's soccer every few years for the two largest international competitions - the Olympics and the World Cup. It's like people getting behind a winning US swim or gymnastics team. Yeah we won! Then four years of "whatever" until the next big event. If we didn't have a winning team viewership and enthusiasm would be almost non existent, and in fact it is virtually non existent outside those two events. Lifetime tried to broadcast NWSL games and dropped it after one year because of low viewership. This is a channel that brings you gripping dramas like "I Married a Serial Killer" or "The Babysitter Wants Me Dead"

Comment

Because, in the US, soccer is a women's sport. It is successful and it is expected that they continue to be successful. They are expected to contend for a World Cup and Olympic gold in each tournament. That is why we care about it. Women's soccer is also the most popular of the women's sports and there has been an increase in adult women over the last decade to care more about fitness and athletics leading to many of their daughters to also care more.

Men's soccer is sort of a small thing. Most of the men in the US grew up playing football, baseball, basketball, Hockey and have their boys playing those sports. NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL are huge, with prime time games that are nationally televised where soccer is something we sort of care about once every 4 years. Soccer is sort of a niche thing in the US.
                That applies to the national teams. For soccer overall, even in the US, there are many more game watchers and game attendees for men's soccer than women's.

MLS attendance https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2018-mls-attendance/

NWSL attendance https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2018-nwsl-attendance/

MLS games get broadcast, granted on low level cable channels. It's also easy to find international games on TV all the time. Women's games? Nowhere. Before Lifetime dropped them they were averaging 93,000 viewers. MLS games average 285,000.

Comment

That applies to the national teams. For soccer overall, even in the US, there are many more game watchers and game attendees for men's soccer than women's.

MLS games get broadcast, granted on low level cable channels. It's also easy to find international games on TV all the time. Women's games? Nowhere. Before Lifetime dropped them they were averaging 93,000 viewers. MLS games average 285,000.
                  No skill and too much crying after being touched.

Comment

I think if your kid is a girl then yes it makes sense to care.

Comment

tackle football is not an appealing option to many kids. not much more to say that hasn't already been said. in 2019 we know a lot more about tackle football and its long term health effects than we did in 1980.

basketball unless you are 6'3" minimum, good luck with that. a 6'9" kid from cameroon that picks up a basketball at 15 for the first time has more chances going pro than a 6' kid from florida that has played since 5 and attended 100 clinics by the time he's 15.

point is, in a country of 300 million plus, there are plenty of good athletes that play soccer. what's missing is coaching, not athletes.

Comment

Lol You're going to make her head explode. Watch,she'll come back with some garbage.

Comment

You are wrong:
                          https://www.statista.com/statistics/...school-soccer/

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-against-spain

Comment

“I’m not going to the foking White House”
                              https://mobile.twitter.com/8by8mag/s...0%2Fframe.html

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X