Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

college scholarships

Not sure if this has been asked or answered before. If it has my apologies. Every now and then a "useful" topic shows up on TOS and some good information is shared before the trolls start to chime in. To help keep this one as clean as it can be , do not respond to the trolls or engage in anyway.

I am not asking this question because I think my kid is scholarship material, more just out of curiosity.

I understand D1 (boys ) can give 9.9 scholarships. Here's where my question lies
    ex .There are say 25 kids on roster , 6 seniors, 6 juniors, 6 sophmores and 7 incoming freshmen..... If 3 seniors, 3 juniors, 3 sophmores have full scholarships, does that mean the coach only has <1 scholarship for the incoming freshmen class? Or do they have 9.9 each year to use?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Not sure if this has been asked or answered before. If it has my apologies. Every now and then a "useful" topic shows up on TOS and some good information is shared before the trolls start to chime in. To help keep this one as clean as it can be , do not respond to the trolls or engage in anyway.

I am not asking this question because I think my kid is scholarship material, more just out of curiosity.

I understand D1 (boys ) can give 9.9 scholarships. Here's where my question lies
    ex .There are say 25 kids on roster , 6 seniors, 6 juniors, 6 sophmores and 7 incoming freshmen..... If 3 seniors, 3 juniors, 3 sophmores have full scholarships, does that mean the coach only has <1 scholarship for the incoming freshmen class? Or do they have 9.9 each year to use?
    It's 9.9 per year. In reality, in sports like soccer, it is typical for the coach to award "partial" scholarships - like 25% or 50% to most players and save the full scholarships for the true "unicorn" players.

Our daughters college team has 13 full scholarships. The coach showed us the spreadsheet she uses to manage the scholarships for her roster of 25 players plus it projects out a few years so she can keep track of recruits. I work for an engineering firm and I swear it was one of the most complicated sheets I've seen!

Comment

It's 9.9 per year. In reality, in sports like soccer, it is typical for the coach to award "partial" scholarships - like 25% or 50% to most players and save the full scholarships for the true "unicorn" players.

Our daughters college team has 13 full scholarships. The coach showed us the spreadsheet she uses to manage the scholarships for her roster of 25 players plus it projects out a few years so she can keep track of recruits. I work for an engineering firm and I swear it was one of the most complicated sheets I've seen!
      Keep selling that pathway 9.9 scholarships per/year with a roster of 25. Idiots. But, but, but, my kid played MLS DA!

Comment

Keep selling that pathway 9.9 scholarships per/year with a roster of 25. Idiots. But, but, but, my kid played MLS DA!
        Athletic aid is only part of the picture. Most schools can put together a "package" of various forms of aid and grants that often pays a relatively large amount of the "total cost of attendance - TCOA." TCOA includes tuition, room and board, meals, books and fees.

For instance, our daughter only received a 50% athletic scholarship her freshman year but the school combined other aid with it and it ended up paying about 80% of the TCOA. This year her Sophomore year, they increased the athletic to 75% and now it pays about 90% of TCOA. If she keeps doing well she is in line to get the full 100% of athletic here last 2 years and virtually all of TCOA will be covered.

It's not for everybody - she works very hard, 12 months a year.

Comment

I think your post is a little confusing.

Every year there will only be 9.9 scholarships TOTAL on the roster.

There will not be 9.9 scholarships awarded every year (9.9 x 4 = 39.6 scholarships over a 4 year cycle....that’s not how it works).

Comment

I think your post is a little confusing.

Every year there will only be 9.9 scholarships TOTAL on the roster.

There will not be 9.9 scholarships awarded every year (9.9 x 4 = 39.6 scholarships over a 4 year cycle....that’s not how it works).
            Actually there will be the "equivalent of 9.9" scholarships each year - but each year they could be awarded in very different combinations. Example:
            For 2020 season: 18 awards of a 50% scholarship and one award of a 90% scholarship.
            For 2021 season: 10 awards of a 50% scholarship, 4 awards of a 100% scholarship and one award of a 90% scholarship and so on.

So in reality, there are the "equivalent" of 9.9 x 4 = 39.6 scholarships over a 4 year cycle.

Comment

Actually there will be the "equivalent of 9.9" scholarships each year - but each year they could be awarded in very different combinations. Example:
              For 2020 season: 18 awards of a 50% scholarship and one award of a 90% scholarship.
              For 2021 season: 10 awards of a 50% scholarship, 4 awards of a 100% scholarship and one award of a 90% scholarship and so on.

So in reality, there are the "equivalent" of 9.9 x 4 = 39.6 scholarships over a 4 year cycle.
              How many scholarship equivalents do you think are on the entire roster (freshman, sophomores, junior, and seniors) for any given season?

9.9 total spread among all 4 recruiting classes currently on the roster....that's the point I was trying to make.

Comment

OP here. So what I am hearing is that all 25 players share the 9.9 each year. So if 3 senior, 3 juniors, 3 sophmore had full rides (which you're saying is not normal) there would only be 1 available to the freshmen class. So I can see how a coach really has to manage it to know they always have a certain amount each year for new players.
                New question: your daughter was 50% freshman year 75% junior. Can the opposite be true ? give you 50% freshman year but then decide to cut it to 25% sophmore?

thanks in advance. this is a good conversation

Comment

OP here. So what I am hearing is that all 25 players share the 9.9 each year. So if 3 senior, 3 juniors, 3 sophmore had full rides (which you're saying is not normal) there would only be 1 available to the freshmen class. So I can see how a coach really has to manage it to know they always have a certain amount each year for new players.
                  New question: your daughter was 50% freshman year 75% junior. Can the opposite be true ? give you 50% freshman year but then decide to cut it to 25% sophmore?

First part is correct. 9.9 total scholarships across the entire roster.

Second part is tougher to answer, in theory the answer is yes. Scholarships are on paper year to year and could be completely terminated, even. However, in practice I think that is very rare. Coaches and schools don’t want to get a reputation for those kind of practices because it makes recruiting to the school much more difficult. It’s much more common to see players just transfer out of a school situation where things aren’t working for them athletically.

Comment

Second part is tougher to answer, in theory the answer is yes. Scholarships are on paper year to year and could be completely terminated, even. However, in practice I think that is very rare. Coaches and schools don’t want to get a reputation for those kind of practices because it makes recruiting to the school much more difficult. It’s much more common to see players just transfer out of a school situation where things aren’t working for them athletically.
                    Agree with this answer. It’s why freshman rarely get offered more than 50% athletic money and many get between 25-50% athletic (remember other academic or financial money can get offered too). This allows the coach to bring in multiple freshman and see how things pan out. Also if they don’t work out after a year or two, the player often transfers, which frees up more money (and allows the coach to offer performing upperclassmen more money).

Comment

That many full athletic rides are never given out, especially for men's teams. Coaches can divvy up the 9,9 any way they want and usually do. Think of it like a bell curve with most players getting partials in the middle, a1-2 getting 75%+ on one end and others getting <30% on the other. As others have said packages can be combined (with certain rules on how) to give an athletic close to a "full" but it's not all athletic. If your kid is smart go for merit $ - it sticks all four years as long as he keeps his GPA up

One group that gets large athletic grants are foreign players. They can go to school much cheaper (or even free) back home. If there's a lot of foreign players on a roster there won't be much left for anyone else. Not only do women have more scholarships per team but foreign players are much less common

Comment

A common solution is to simply never play them so they quit in frustration, or transfer. Problem solved. A four year athletic scholarship is guaranteed with the Power 5 conferences but nowhere else. You're right that schools don't want to get a reputation for pulling back $ but they absolutely can legally. Unless in a Power 5 your contract is generally year to year. If you leave the team but stay at the school then the $ is gone also.

Comment

A couple of additional thoughts:

1. Not every school awards the max number of scholarships. Their “budget” might well be lower. This is more of a Title IX balancing than a cost issue.

2. Kids drop off teams. I tell parents all the time to look at the roster for any school your kid is interested in then go back 4 years and look at that roster. How many seniors stuck for 4 years? If it is 50% that’s pretty good.

Comment

A common solution is to simply never play them so they quit in frustration, or transfer. Problem solved. A four year athletic scholarship is guaranteed with the Power 5 conferences but nowhere else. You're right that schools don't want to get a reputation for pulling back $ but they absolutely can legally. Unless in a Power 5 your contract is generally year to year. If you leave the team but stay at the school then the $ is gone also.
                            "Unless in a Power 5 your contract is generally year to year." Not entirely true. Our D attends a D1 private college in up north that is not Power 5 with a different arrangement.

They are one of several colleges that offer some form of the XXXXXX University "Promise." It is an agreement between the athlete's family and the University - not an agreement between the athlete's family and the college team coach.

The University will honor the terms of the financial package that is offered when recruiting the athlete for the entire 4 (5 if Red Shirt) years the athlete is at the school. Even if the situation of the player or the coaching staff changes during that 4-5 years. Example, our D's team-mate suffered a career ending concussion in a game as a Sophomore and the University is honoring the financial package for the rest of her time there.

On the flip side, if the coaching changes (the Head Coach quits or is fired and then there is a new set of coaches) the "Promise" continues in place because it is between the family and the University - not the coaches.

These "Promises" are getting more common with private Universities. Having said that, your kid needs to be a strong player "of interest" with high academics because the University is pledging $100-$160,000 over the 4-5 years (depending on the package they offer).

And your kid will earn every penny of it - it is a 12-month job.

Comment

"A common solution is to simply never play them so they quit in frustration, or transfer. Problem solved."

This makes no sense. What program would invest the energy to recruit and sign a kid only to treat them that way? In that scenario, nobody wins.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X