Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it okay to sing “Africa”at a HS soccer game?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The article only talks about the song, which the NE Revs fan sing at every game. Would it be okay if the STJ students played this song at every game? Or, maybe the Revs Fanny’s should stop singing it, so high school students don’t think it is okay to sing it. Confusing...
    You think Fox would get all the facts correct?

Comment

The article only talks about the song, which the NE Revs fan sing at every game. Would it be okay if the STJ students played this song at every game? Or, maybe the Revs Fanny’s should stop singing it, so high school students don’t think it is okay to sing it. Confusing...
      https://patch.com/connecticut/windso..._medium=social

Comment

I do not know the school or care about HS Soccer, but if they used this song to make an African American opposition feel uncomfortable then the principal of the school should end their season right now. No questions asked. This could be an excellent teaching moment. To do nothing would be a disaster for the school’s reputation.
        Easy. Next season no one allowed at home games....

Comment

Why punish the team for something the fans did?
          That is 100% stupid
          It's a school issue, not soccer team or coach issue. Season is over and they're state champs. Players earned it. It isn't their fault the go to school with idiots.

Comment

It's a school issue, not soccer team or coach issue. Season is over and they're state champs. Players earned it. It isn't their fault the go to school with idiots.
            How can a Christian institution tolerate this hateful behavior? Their reputation will be in tatters if they do nothing. Jesus taught love and respect.

Comment

How can a Christian institution tolerate this hateful behavior? Their reputation will be in tatters if they do nothing. Jesus taught love and respect.
              Someone needs to tell the Revs they are allowing a racist song to be played at every home game...

Comment

Someone needs to tell the Revs they are allowing a racist song to be played at every home game...
                Do you need me to explain that the song is not racist, but the singing of it by white kids to taunt black kids is racist? Not a hard concept.

Comment

Song

I must be missing the boat altogether. What about the following is considered racist???

Africa
                  Toto
                  I hear the drums echoing tonight
                  But she hears only whispers of some quiet conversation
                  She's coming in, 12:30 flight
                  The moonlit wings reflect the stars that guide me towards salvation
                  I stopped an old man along the way
                  Hoping to find some long forgotten words or ancient melodies
                  He turned to me as if to say, "Hurry boy, it's waiting there for you"
                  It's gonna take a lot to take me away from you
                  There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do
                  I bless the rains down in Africa
                  Gonna take some time to do the things we never had
                  The wild dogs cry out in the night
                  As they grow restless, longing for some solitary company
                  I know that I must do what's right
                  As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti
                  I seek to cure what's deep inside, frightened of this thing that I've become
                  It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you
                  Hurry boy, she's waiting there for you
                  (I bless the rain)
                  (I bless the rain)
                  (Ah, gonna take the time)

Comment

I must be missing the boat altogether. What about the following is considered racist???

Africa
                    Toto
                    I hear the drums echoing tonight
                    But she hears only whispers of some quiet conversation
                    She's coming in, 12:30 flight
                    The moonlit wings reflect the stars that guide me towards salvation
                    I stopped an old man along the way
                    Hoping to find some long forgotten words or ancient melodies
                    He turned to me as if to say, "Hurry boy, it's waiting there for you"
                    It's gonna take a lot to take me away from you
                    The wild dogs cry out in the night
                    As they grow restless, longing for some solitary company
                    I know that I must do what's right
                    As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti
                    I seek to cure what's deep inside, frightened of this thing that I've become
                    Hurry boy, she's waiting there for you
                    (I bless the rain)
                    (I bless the rain)
                    (Ah, gonna take the time)
                    You did not include the ugly little chant made along with the song.

Comment

You did not include the ugly little chant made along with the song.
                      CT reader. My daughter plays against their team and my husband and myself are alumni. Sadly, I'm not surprised this occurred. The culture at the school has definitely shifted from the Catholic, college preparatory school it once was. This never would have been tolerated. The investigation and resulting consequences would have been immediate.
                      St. Joes has never sang the song Africa in the years we've played them. We have not had an African American player on our team throughout those years.

Comment

So many willfully ignorant mouthbreathers in here. Of course the song is racist *in this context*

Comment

CT reader. My daughter plays against their team and my husband and myself are alumni. Sadly, I'm not surprised this occurred. The culture at the school has definitely shifted from the Catholic, college preparatory school it once was. This never would have been tolerated. The investigation and resulting consequences would have been immediate.
                          St. Joes has never sang the song Africa in the years we've played them. We have not had an African American player on our team throughout those years.
                          Sounds like the school has broader internal issues rather than it necessarily being an issue with the team or coach. It may not have been the first time it has happened either. I know our HS fans sometimes get a little edgy (not racist but can taunt some opponent players) and the AD and/or assistant is all over it.

Comment

So many willfully ignorant mouthbreathers in here. Of course the song is racist *in this context*
                            Yes read the article. It isn't about the lyrics in isolation.

But why is this a Revs song? It's a lousy song to begin with and slow. It isn't something to get players pumped up and has nothing to do with soccer. Does anyone know the history of it?

Comment

Yes read the article. It isn't about the lyrics in isolation.

But why is this a Revs song? It's a lousy song to begin with and slow. It isn't something to get players pumped up and has nothing to do with soccer. Does anyone know the history of it?
                              https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...time-tradition

Comment

When we ***** folks it's not racist at all....we just don't like 'em.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X